What would you do rules question

If you're playing alone or not, and you're wanting to keep stats, keep your accurate score, or something like that, go back and take your medicine following the USGA rules.

If you're playing for practice, having a liesure round, whether you're alone or not, I say drop a ball where you believe your shot would have landed and play on, no penalty strokes. Truly, who cares in this scenario? Not me, or the USGA.

Playing alone? No friends? (lol)

Do whatever you want. As a single you have no "standing" on the golf course so you should not go back ad re-hit if it will delay the group behind. I don't think you should post scores shot when playing alone; you can't really claim a hole in one without a witness either so I say it does not matter.

I would drop a ball where I thought the ball should have been and use the round as practice to see what I need to work on most.
This is actually not true anymore. I think the part that said "a single has no standing on the course" was removed in 2004.

This is in the Etiquette section of the rules:

Pace of Play
Play at Good Pace and Keep Up

Players should play at a good pace. The Committee may establish pace of
play guidelines that all players should follow.

It is a group’s responsibility to keep up with the group in front. If it loses a
clear hole and it is delaying the group behind, it should invite the group behind
to play through, irrespective of the number of players in that group. Where a
group has not lost a clear hole, but it is apparent that the group behind can
play faster, it should invite the faster moving group to play through.

Priority on the Course
Unless otherwise determined by the Committee, priority on the course is
determined by a group’s pace of play. Any group playing a whole round is
entitled to pass a group playing a shorter round. The term “group” includes
a single player.

BUT! And this comes from http://golf.about.com/od/golfetiquette/f/singlespriority.htm

Unless. The rulebook does give golf courses an out, however, by including that "unless otherwise determined by the Committee" bit. So while the Rules of Golf are clear that singles do have standing on the course, the rulebook also gives committees the option to decide differently. If you're allowed to play as a single at a course, but then encounter trouble on the course, check with the pro about club policies - and make sure he or she understands the current USGA/R&A guidelines on the issue.

Aye, Smalls be right... Check ye local rules...

Back