What's been your most extravagant purchase?

Probably my ClicGear. At the time I was using a $20 pull cart, and the wife was baffled why I spend so much on a push cart.... but it was so worth it.

I don't buy much gear right when it is released, usually try to wait a bit for a markdown on it.

Club wise, my irons, but it was like a year after they were released. I think the only club I purchased on release day was the 588 RTX in my bag, and even then it was still cheaper than the vokeys I had purchased and strayed from.

I have mixed feelings about it. Played with one of my best golfing buds but we got paired with two chuckleheads. Why someone would pay $325 to play one round when they were not golfers is beyond me. They each lost at least one ball on every hole - EVERY HOLE. Spanish Bay is carved out of what is now considered an environmental conservation area so every hole has protected areas you may not enter for any reason. By the time we reached the 17th tee, someone from the pro shop (never saw a marshal) came out and told us we needed to finish our round within the next 10 minutes. So we sprinted the last two holes and finished under the glare of the management who suggested we pick up once we were on 18 green. I'm not sure how long we took, far too long I'm sure but it was the two guys they paired us with that were to blame. Getting run off the course ruined the day. I've never had anything like that happen - getting the bum's rush at the end of a round. For the record, I play about 5 rounds per week, walk, and play in less than 3 hours.

I lived in Monterey for two years and only played two Pebble courses during that time, Old Del Monte and Spyglass Hill, both were free. Missed out on playing Pebble for free because I was misinformed about a requirement to have an established handicap index. After establishing a month later (just moved there), I filled out an application and found no place to include my index. By then, all the free slots were filled...

I still need Pebble to complete my Monterey Pebble Beach Set.

Wow. If you were taking THAT long, there was surely open holes ahead? I would have excused ourselves from those two and went on our own.

An Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce. I flew to Dayton to buy it from an old man that was ready to move on. It 11,000 miles on it and was like new.

Wasn't that expensive really, but was extravagant because it was pure toy. It wasn't fast compared to modern sports cars but, like a Harley, it had a soul.

That's really harsh on you esp at that fee, you'll need to round up some THPers for the next extravagant round :)

Where I really missed the boat was when I lived in Germany for three years. I stopped playing when I went into the Army and was in the middle of a ten year lay off. I could have traveled to GB for next to nothing and played historic courses in your neck of the woods. I did take a 5 day trip to London and it cost me all of about $400 all in.

I met a US Navy Captain who commanded a detachment near St. Andrews. He told me he was a member for three years as there is a clause in their by-laws which reads something like, "membership shall be extended to member's of Her Majesty's Armed Services and their allies." Cost? Fifty pounds per year.

My orange Puma Gear, but I love it.

I did buy a $220 dollar bottle of Jameson when I stopped in Ireland returning from Iraq in '04. I guess that was my most frivolous expenditure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did buy a $220 dollar bottle of Jameson when I stopped in Ireland returning from Iraq in '04. I guess that was my most frivolous expenditure.

You are probably too young to remember duty free Class VI. Twenty years ago in GTMO I could pick up a good single malt for $5, JD was about the same. Goes to show you how much tax there is on booze. Taxes in Europe make ours look paltry.

Thanks for your service!

I'm reminded of when I stopped at Shannon airfield on the way back from deployment, and some captain comes into the coach section to remind us that general order 1A was still in effect, and right behind him a colonel says, "First rounds on me."

Who you gonna listen to, honestly?

I'm reminded of when I stopped at Shannon airfield on the way back from deployment, and some captain comes into the coach section to remind us that general order 1A was still in effect, and right behind him a colonel says, "First rounds on me."

Who you gonna listen to, honestly?

Where do you think I got it from, right before spending an hour at the Ginuess tap.

4 rounds in 3 days at Bandon Dunes. Heaven on Earth!

The black gunmetal z2c that I bought for my wife to give me for Christmas in about 4 weeks. Never dreamed I would spend that much on a putter but this one is my holy grail and I have absolutely no regrets!

Back