Whats your attack angle with driver?

Wormkiller

Reaction score
Whats your attack angle with driver? I went into a lesson recently hitting an average of 4 degrees down. Then went the opposite way by focusing on making the low point behind the ball. Im getting a lot more distance but I feel its making me a little more prone to hitting slices.

I am plus 1-2*. It has taken me time to get there though. I used to be a couple of degrees down. I was definitely a little more wild when I first made the change but I am getting more consistent as I get comfortable with the setup and swing.

Last time I checked I was like 2-3* up with driver. IMHO, you shouldn't have to change your swing but change your ball position. If you find your low point and then place ball if front of that, you should be able to change attack angle without manipulating your swing. I used to be a couple degrees down and always put a lot of spin on the driver. I would have to combat that with an 8* and Xstiff shaft. I've since moved the ball up in my stance, playing a 10.5 driver and getting much more carry and better rollout.

I am almost dead nuts flat. -0-. It will some times be 1 up or 1 down. But pretty flat.

I have no idea. I’ve worked to get it positive and I know it’s there but have no clue on the number. I’ll find out in August though

When it's how I like it, just under 4. When it's excessive, upper 5s.

I suspect my aoa has come way up in the last couple of years. I used to be low launch/high spin but now I have a high launch low spin shot that I much prefer.

Positive, and that’s all I care about.

It was +1 to +3 before the season. I’m not sure now, but it looks like the ball flight hasn’t changed. I tried getting to +5 and started slicing the ball from hanging back. +1 ain’t bad so I left well enough alone and just focused on direction. I still want to get to the +3 to +5 range for carry but that’ll be an off-season change.

Negative, and it drives me nuts some days.

4-6 degrees positive depending. Been as high as 8 degrees up but then I tend to bottom on the ground.

Neutral to negative. I know I’m supposed to be positive but when I get there I also get uncontrollable snap hooks.

Based on Trackman from earlier this year between 4% and 5%. Adam Young's "The Strike Plan" inspired me to work hard on this skill, which has added nearly 20 yards to my drives.

Based on Trackman from earlier this year between 4% and 5%. Adam Young's "The Strike Plan" inspired me to work hard on this skill, which has added nearly 20 yards to my drives.

Do you rate the strike plan? Does it help you come up with specific practice session plans? Thanks!

I was around -4° at my last fitting 3 years ago.

I would say, mine would be defined as “Less than ideal.”

Do you rate the strike plan? Does it help you come up with specific practice session plans? Thanks!

"The Strike Plan" is a fantastic resource! It is a series of videos which thoroughly explain ball flight laws and why developing face and ground contact skills is so critical. He provides various drills to evaluate and develop these skills. For driving in particular there is the "3 Tee Drill" in which you line up 3 tees in the direction of your swing: a short one followed by a long one about 2" directly in front of it and finally another short one about 6" directly in front of the second tee. Your objective is to swing through the tees hitting the first (not essential) and second but not the third. Basically, your swing needs to bottom out 4" to 5" before the ball in order to make this happen.

Young is very much about developing skills, rather than changing your swing.

"The Strike Plan" is a fantastic resource! It is a series of videos which thoroughly explain ball flight laws and why developing face and ground contact skills is so critical. He provides various drills to evaluate and develop these skills. For driving in particular there is the "3 Tee Drill" in which you line up 3 tees in the direction of your swing: a short one followed by a long one about 2" directly in front of it and finally another short one about 6" directly in front of the second tee. Your objective is to swing through the tees hitting the first (not essential) and second but not the third. Basically, your swing needs to bottom out 4" to 5" before the ball in order to make this happen.

Young is very much about developing skills, rather than changing your swing.
Thanks for that.

What Im very interested in is developing skills to control the face. Does he go into much detail with this?

Thanks for that.

What Im very interested in is developing skills to control the face. Does he go into much detail with this?

Yes. You should check out his website and blog; lot's of good stuff therein.

I live around positive 4 to 5. It is nothing I ever tried to do, but it really helps me maximize my distance with driver.

Yes. You should check out his website and blog; lot's of good stuff therein.

And "The Sweet Spot" podcast he does with Jon Sherman (Practical Golf). Great stuff.

As for my driver attack angle, I am +5-6 degrees.

Back