What's Your Closest Non-HIO

I have not.

I've caved in cups, I've hit pins, I've spun one back on a par 4 that lipped the cup.

At this point, I'm running out of ways to not get one.

I know the feeling quite well.

As I’ve stated, I have 0 in my 53 years of playing. Last season in back to back rounds. I had 2 end up less than 3 inches away, including one that went over the hole. In the same month, I had another that hit the pin and ended up about 3 feet away.

20198 on the par 3 #8 at Windmill Lakes, about 6 inches.

MVIMG_20190804_152255.jpg

Playing with @Hibs and @e1iterate in December at tobacco road and they had mats I said I'll just hit off the ground. The guys on the next hole tee box told us it almost went in.
Also with @e1iterate at his club, hit a solid iron shot we see it bounce and disappear the lip of the green made it so you couldn't see it was about 2 feet short.

On the 230 uphill par 3 , had a pic somewhere but cabt find it now

Played a course in the midwest after a hard rain. Smoked a 7 iron about 145 (yes I was terrible back then) and the ball plugged in the green and I could literally see the side of the ball in the cup. I kind of think that was a partial hole in one....

I have a few brushes with the ball resting a couple feet from the hole. I hit the stick (high) and the ball went off the green altogehter.

But, in teh late 90s, I played a company scramble with the Exec VP as one of the teammates. She got to witness me hit a ball that stopped about 1 inch from the cup. One of those that could fallen in with a bit of wind or time sort of things, could not even measure it accurately it was so close, I won a sleeve of Titleist DT balls, with the company logo :rolleyes:.

Fun times, our team finished dead last. I was in school full time, working 35 hours a week, playing golf rarely (clubs were Goldwin AVDP). In previous years I was the A or B player, that year I was a C (it was based on last few rounds), Our A and B players were truly awful - no idea how they ended up as A and B players.

But that shot - it was talked about for days after (by the VP and others who witnessed it).

I’ve had 3 aces, but my closest non-ace was about two inches in a two man scramble last year. First shot out of the gates with a 7 iron the just nestled up left of the pin for a kick in birdie.

Par 3.
6i.
Tailwind.
Ball landed within a putter length of the hole.
I was happy.:D

I knew I had a picture of it on my backup drive.

TPC Deere Run. Hole 7. August 24, 2013. Hit a beauty of a draw off of the fan behind the green. Rolled down to here. Nice birdie.

IMAG0304.jpg

Cell phone cameras have come a long way in the last 10 years :ROFLMAO:

I’ve hit a couple really close. I’d say about 3 inches was the closest I’ve come.

I've been within 6 inches a couple times. One was with a hybrid from just over 200 and the other was an 8 iron from around 160 that flew over the pin and rolled back with the slope and stopped right above the hole

6" short and about 18" ish past the hole are the closest I've come. The latter was at the Morgan Cup at TPC Vegas #16 a few years back playing @Jman and @GolfTravelDude with my partner @jjsportz during a tight match.

About two inches. The rain the night before slowed the green and it stopped right before the hole. Was so pissed lol.

I remember that shot. I thought it was in. I’m pretty sure I conceded the hole before we were off the tee box
Par 3’s were the only thing that kept me in that match as long as I did.

Closest I ever came was on Hole 18 on our course. It plays anywhere from 118 to 136 depending on where they put the tee box.

About 6 years ago I was playing myself, a quick 18 on a day off and I hit what I thought was a thin PW. The pin was sitting in the back of the green, right next to the clubhouse. I watched it hit the front of the green and trickle up literally sitting on the edge of the cup. I rushed down to it and looked around to see if anyone saw it and nobody did, but I was almost relieved in a way.

Didn't want my first HIO to be one on my own with no witnesses. A year later they put a camera on that hole so that if that had ever happened again people would have proof. LOL.

On hole 4 at London Country Club, a 140 yard par 3 over water I had one hit the pin and land 6" away from the hole and had one lip out and stop 2" form the hole. I always thought that would be the hole I got a hole in one on if I stayed in my hometown.

Never had a HIO. Have had a few inside a foot or so but the most memorable one didn't even finish close. Pitchmark ruined the hole and bounced off the cup all the way over the green.

She got to witness me hit a ball that stopped about 1 inch from the cup. One of those that could fallen in with a bit of wind or time sort of things, could not even measure it accurately it was so close, I won a sleeve of Titleist DT balls, with the company logo :rolleyes:.
This description made me think of the trick of putting your shadow over the ball if it's on the edge of the cup and it makes the grass move slightly and the ball drop in. I'm not sure how that would make me feel if I did that on my first HIO lol.

A handful of inches on a hole at Bandon Preserve. The green had recently been punched and sanded. I think it would have been a HIO with regular greens.

Back