when did americans stop calling the open the british open?

It was the 150th Open Championship. How long has it taken people to call it by its correct name?

If anyone called the NFL the American NFL, you would think they were dumb...............
But people do call it American football….

Its been several years... I think (a bit of guess) that it was an ABC/ESPN thing... sort of like, one year they just dropped the "British" and that was that. No big deal... at least its not "The Lloyds Banking Group Open Championship brought to you by Unilever and sponsored by GlaxoSmithKline"...

This is like asking when Ohio State became “Thee Ohio State”..

kinda always just was for those that knew.
Nobody cared until players started saying it on the Monday Night Football starting lineup video clips... seems like it was Eddie George and Orlando Pace.

It is the British Open to me. Nice try with marketing.

I would say it was when the Media or the Tourney made it "The Open"
Or was it the American media that started calling it the British Open?

It was called the Open Championship on day one, 150+ years ago, and has been known as that ever since. The American media added the British bit to help their viewers. When talking to American media some players refer to it as the British to help the viewers. There is no tournament called the British Open.

Same applies to the PGA. The PGA was set up in UK as the first Professional Golfers Association, followed by other countries and the Professional Golfers Association of America.

The Professional Golfers' Association | The PGA

Also, same applies to the Masters, NFL,NBA .....

i did some research aka google.. seems like it was 2016 when the R&A had in contract with espn/abc to stop using the term british open.

It seems like Brits are the only ones annoyed by it, and I don't get it. If they referred to the Masters as the "American Masters" to distinguish it from the British Masters, I wouldn't lose a second of sleep over it.

i swear its always been the british open to me.. have i been living under a rock? was it always just the open?

me and Tiger still call it the British Open ;)

Back