When you go to the range, what is the first club you hit?

e1iterate

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I was chatting with a friend up on the range Sunday when I noticed him go straight to driver. He said it helps him feel loose quicker. Personally, I’m a 54* wedge guy getting loose before moving on to other clubs.

How about the rest of you? Am I weird or is my buddy weird? 😂

sand wedge if i have time. if not, 7-iron.

8 iron for me. I don't think you or your buddy are weird for what club you start your warm-up range session. I am sure there are plenty of other things that make you weird :ROFLMAO:

I always make a couple partial swings with a wedge to get the body moving.

Because of how bad the range balls are on wedges, I try to stay away from my 50°/54°/60° when I warm up. I usually start with a soft PW or 9 iron then work my way up!

Thanks to Matt Fitzpatrick’s advice on Full Swing, I started alternating between PW/8/6 and 9/7/5 each time I hit the range to keep the wear pattern evened out

8 iron for me. I don't think you or your buddy are weird for what club you start your warm-up range session. I am sure there are plenty of other things that make you weird :ROFLMAO:
Like great hair :LOL:

There was time when I was younger and more limber I would start with something like a 4 iron. Because if you can get started hitting a hard club well you were off to a good start.

Now, my body hurts too much for that. So I start with a 50 and start slow.

7i every time, then I'll work up or down the bag depending on what I am trying to accomplish for that range session. Usually finish on Driver to get a good visualization for when I get on the 1st tee.

I NEVER understood that. Definitely weird hitting driver first. I always go wedges first to loosen up

Just some 3/4 swings with the PW.

PW.

I was chatting with a friend up on the range Sunday when I noticed him go straight to driver. He said it helps him feel loose quicker. Personally, I’m a 54* wedge guy getting loose before moving on to other clubs.

How about the rest of you? Am I weird or is my buddy weird? 😂
If I haven't been to the short game practice area first, I will loosen up with anything from a 7i to my 48* degree wedge.

I will start out with little 1/2 swings, and go from there to full swings with my longer clubs.

5i to start...always. If just warming up then driver followed by wedge. If longer session then work up to driver, then back to maybe a 7i and work down to wedges.

I usually do 7i/8i to warm up - not really trying to do anything other than get a swing looking swing.

Then I'll go down to wedge and then back up to hybrid and driver.

Always start and end with partial wedges. Those shots need the most repetitions for me. Also helps my body lossen up a little.

If I went straight to driver I might hurt something 😆

Lately I've been going to the range with no other club but driver, because the season is just beginning and I want total confidence off the tee, it's the most important club in the bag. I can get my irons going with minimal work but driver takes some practice.

But a normal range I start with 8i and go to driver quickly, I don't agree with those who wait too long, you want to hit that club while you have energy, end with wedges when you're tired.

54 deg

50 degree gap wedge.

I'm a wedge kind of guy- usually the 52 to get the juices flowing, then move into 7I.

Back