So I had this happen a few weeks ago where there were several of us playing & playing tees that provided a yardage around 6,100. There was one guy in the group that wanted to play the back tees from 6,800.

Where do you fit in? Do you conform & play the tee box that everyone else is playing or will you move back to a different box or up for that matter?
Not an issue now that I'm in a mini-bubble playing alone, but I pick tees based on (for me) proper distance. If I'm having too much fun and making too many birdies, I can always move back.

At 74 its time to move up and I am going to suggest to my playing partners who are in the same age range that it is time to move a little closer. I've never played from the forward tees so will be a brand new experience.

I could see that "brand new experience" being fun. It will allow you/me to know how it feels to be a big tee ball hitter that plays a short iron into par 4's. Once it starts being a job getting to a par 4 and having to hit a FW metal, I can certainly see myself moving forward.

I play the tee’s that are right for me. Typically I top out at 6400 yards. Anything longer I am hitting hybrids and woods into every green. Keep it fun for yourself.

I play what others are playing. Generally we are all playing one up. at a local course or two here that are below 6,100 i strongly push for back tees as its not a course i enjoy up. have never played those up.

So I had this happen a few weeks ago where there were several of us playing & playing tees that provided a yardage around 6,100. There was one guy in the group that wanted to play the back tees from 6,800.

Where do you fit in? Do you conform & play the tee box that everyone else is playing or will you move back to a different box or up for that matter?

Depends what fitting in means vs standing out.

I would play 6,800 yards and below and am confident I would adhere to pace of play.

Anything past that, wouldn't be fun for me, I would either be playing so bad that I would need to pickup a lot, also Driver/Driver/ wedge putt is fun for a couple holes a round, but not for more than 50% of the round.

I always play the white tees, and they are usually around 5800-6200 yards. Although, I have played white tees down to about 5500 yards, and strangely enough, doesn't mean that the course is necessarily easy. Length is only one factor in course ratings.

I'll play with group if there are not long forced carries. If you have to carry 225 to get to fairway I'm playing up. if it's fairway then I'll play with group knowing it will be good for my short game.

Play whatever tees suit your game. That’s why they have different tees

I always play the white tees, and they are usually around 5800-6200 yards. Although, I have played white tees down to about 5500 yards, and strangely enough, doesn't mean that the course is necessarily easy. Length is only one factor in course ratings.
I played our forward tees (4700 yards) for the first time about a week and a half ago. I can't really correlate my score because it was just a "for fun" round and I was taking all kinds of crazy shots I wouldn't normally even attempt, but it wasn't a birdie fest by any stretch of the imagination. The tee game is only one aspect of the overall game, and not the only place my weaknesses show up!

My local course plays a little under 6200 from the blues. That is what I normally play from when I am able to make it to the course.

6800 sounds miserable haha. Hashtag Short Hitter.

If one guy wants to play the tips, have at it, enjoy.

6000-6500 I'm cool with. Starting to see more courses add a blended set into their scorecards which is a nice plus.

I usually play which ever tee box the group wants to play. But I will sometimes move back if they don't mind.

I’ll go either way to blend with the group but my preference is to go back vs. forward. I enjoy the challenge so every once in awhile don’t mind playing the back tees. Typically play 6,300-6,600 yard blocks.

I'll play what the people in my group want to play. Changing things up keeps the course interesting and helps me work on different areas of my game.

When my sister in law started playing, I joined her on the forward tees. When her son started swinging a club, I would tee it up halfway down the fairway...that made me realize I needed to work on my wedges a bit more. It was fun.

I really think courses should consistently have available a set of men's front tees that are not considered women's tees. Most men get turned off when they are labeled 'women's' tees.

I really think courses should consistently have available a set of men's front tees that are not considered women's tees. Most men get turned off when they are labeled 'women's' tees.
Exactly why a lot of courses have started referring to them as the “forward tees”, or just by tee box color. Some guys don’t even like the label “senior tees”.

Exactly why a lot of courses have started referring to them as the “forward tees”, or just by tee box color. Some guys don’t even like the label “senior tees”.
Yes, I agree, and they should also be a different color than 'red'. Red has become a stigma for men in terms of tee box color.

I generally will play the tees as the group if the other 3 are playing the same. I’ll go back if at least one other person does-to a point. I have not a lot of desire to play 7500 yards at sea level in soft windy conditions.

If I’m playing too short of yardage I’ll lots of times say I’ll hit irons off the tees. Usually make it to the first par 5 before I throw that out, lol. But I dang sure am not waiting for a par 4 green to clear, at that point I’ll hit less club. If it’s one I could hit anyways I may wait, but if I can do it it, so can others so it won’t be holding up much.

To me it depends on who I am playing with and if there is a match involved. If there is a match we generally play the same tees. When I was playing a lot as a single I used to play whatever tees I wanted to regardless of what the rest of the group was doing. If the course is 6100 yards that is a bit short and I would rather play something longer. If everyone is playing 6500-6600 yards I would usually just stay there.

I see that all the time and for me it is very much more a guideline than a rule. I hit driver 230 and regularly play our course at 6950 yards and keep up without a problem. I enjoy the challenge and am not frustrated by it. If you can keep pace of play and are having fun I don't see any issue with playing longer tees. If you can't keep pace and don't enjoy it by all means move up.

If you can keep pace and are having fun play whatever tees you want. Keeping pace is the key though.

Back