Why are irons getting stronger lofts?

John Daly bagged a 2* driver!!! :bulgey-eyes:

Fellas, I don't know if some on here have Alzheimer's, but we've had this discussion/argument in like 3 or 4 other threads. It is what it is. Play em', don't play em', or bend em'.

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

That does not explain the stronger lofts. Based on your hypothetical, a new 8 iron and an old 7 iron, have the same 35* loft. You left this out, but they also have the same shaft length. Not surprisingly, they hit the ball the same distance.

My point is the lofts are the same and yes maybe the shafts are the same length, but the launch angle and ball speed is greater off the new clubs so they go higher and are easier to hit. My new 8i goes as far as my old 7i but also higher than it. As high, or higher, than my old 8i.

In summary I like the new technology with stronger lofts. I even have them bent an extra degree strong based on the fitting I did when buying them.

The lofts are exactly the same as they were 20, 40, 60 years ago. The clubs just have a different number on the bottom.

47 degrees now was 47 degrees in 1930.

Hence why off a 2 handicap I only need 5-PW, this allows me to select wedges I like and fill a gap between the 5wood and 5 iron with a high spin hybrid.

Add to that you are now hitting an old 4 iron on a shorter shaft with more offset and more bounce.

Golf is just so much easier, that's why lofts are stronger, and of course the marketing men will use all of this, why wouldn't they.

If it didn't work pros would weaken lofts, but they don't, quite often they strengthen even more, McIlroy is a case in point.

Add to all that a ball that flies further and spins less and shafts than can be fit for you, it's why an average player like myself can fly a 7 iron 170, up 20 yards on when I started playing.

But 47 degrees is still 47 degrees, I still still my 47 degree club only marginally farther than I ever did thanks to shaft and ball, but it ain't much.

Guys and Gals,
It is simple, technology is pretty much tapped out in irons so the only thing they can do is make the lofts stronger.

Ok so you go into the local big store shopping for a new set and say you demo 4 or 5 different 6 irons, no matter which one you hit the straightest it is gonna be hard for you to get the one you hit the longest out of your head. A good percentage of us will end up buying the longest one, it is a ego thing and the equipment makers know it.

Taught the great uncle and the father a lesson today. We were at the range and my dad was laughing because my 60 year old great uncle was hitting his 7 iron farther than me. I had my hogan iron and he had Diablo Edge irons. I was going my usual 150 and he was hitting around 155. So then I took the DE iron and immediately picked up 15-20 yards. Somehow my dad thought I did something because he doesn't believe the club has anything to do with it. As we compared the clubs our guesstimate was that the DE was 6* stronger than my Hogan. Uncle was convinced. I think my dad was but he'll never admit it.

Taught the great uncle and the father a lesson today. We were at the range and my dad was laughing because my 60 year old great uncle was hitting his 7 iron farther than me. I had my hogan iron and he had Diablo Edge irons. I was going my usual 150 and he was hitting around 155. So then I took the DE iron and immediately picked up 15-20 yards. Somehow my dad thought I did something because he doesn't believe the club has anything to do with it. As we compared the clubs our guesstimate was that the DE was 6* stronger than my Hogan. Uncle was convinced. I think my dad was but he'll never admit it.

Specs say it's only 2* in the difference. That being said, stuff like shafts would make a difference.

This thread got me curious, and I looked up the lofts of the new RBZ irons and compare them to my old x-20s. The PWs are both 45°, but as the irons get longer so does the difference. My 4i is 24°, whereas the RBZ 4i is 20°. The gaps in my short irons are 4°, and once it gets to 7i, they move to 3°. The RBZs start at 5° differences and move slightly lower from there. It was interesting to look at.

Who was (is?) the pro that gets just ° numbers on his irons? Can't remember, but think it's a great idea. And IMO, I definitely think it's mainly marketing.

Actually, I recently made the switch from X-20s to RBZs and you`re spot on. I believe one of the reasons is to bridge the gap between the long irons and the hybrids/fairwaywoods. The technological improvements have been far greater in the driver/woods/hybrids department, and IMHO Taylormade have done the right thing, especially for the med/high handicapper.Having 5-4,5 and 4 degrees of gap between irons suits me just fine, and the tech is there for all to see; a 2012 6i with a 26,5 loft flies higher than my 2008, 30 degree 6i, and longer than my 2008 5i.The only aspect of the blind focus on distance, I dont care for is the increased lenght in shafts, primeraly on the drivers. Stock shafts 46 inches or more is just plain stupid, when the US PGA average length is around 44-44,5
If the pros cant control a 46 inch shaft, what chance do we mortals have?

Sonny

Back