personally i prefer blades because they are typically heavier and much easier for me to align than clubs with offset. also my miss tends to be a tad towards the heel which i find more forgiving on blades.

I bought them because I was an idiot and listening to my buddy who's "that guy", but he's a PGA teaching pro so I thought he was helping me out. Can't wait to switch to some cavity backs.

haha, I love the honesty in this

Lol. I think it just boils down to what do you like? What are your goals? Like I said I joke a ton man, but when I'm feeling like do do Ill pick up my old 6i and take some swings. I just like the shaft in them. Plus its my comfort club.

I wouldn't stand up for the forgiveness of blades vs cavities, it's not even an argument. But I would say that, just as bad as the blade player with the superiority complex, is the cavity player with the superiority complex. Blade players aren't all masochists who don't know what's good for them. :D

(that's just me)

personally i cant hit a oversized cavity back iron for $#!+ and i hit blades much better. i also got fit for my irons to get more consistent ball flight

personally i cant hit a oversized cavity back iron for $#!+ and i hit blades much better. i also got fit for my irons to get more consistent ball flight

I feel the same way. For me though alot of it boils down to the topline. I cannot stand the look of a thick topline.

my titleist cb are just about right as I love the heavier club head but I love the added forgiveness of them.

On the flipside though, you can make almost any club seem to have a heavier clubhead with a graphite shaft....I am contemplating putting project x 6.0 in my cbs

I should add that the reason I cannot stand a thick topline is due to the fact that I find it distracting and find myself looking more at the club than I do at the ball and therefore do not keep my head down as well during my backswing.

Playing with baldes is a bit like driving an old muscle car. It looks great, you really feel the road, lots of raw power... but if you crash there's no airbag.

I played Hogan Apex II blades for about 10 years. I loved them, but any sort of mishit was very penalizing. I played 3x a week then, so my swing was definitely more groved. I moved to a pure cavity back with a thicker topline and really struggled with shot making.

Currently I play MP-30s, which are cavity backs but look much like blades on the setup. Being able to work the ball both left and right and up and down is the biggest plus. I feel with my 5I-PW I can hit almost any shot. I cetainly struggled with the 3I and 4I, and have tried a hybrid as well as gone back to my old 3I and 4I for awhile (the only two clubs I liked from that set).

I am in the market for new irons this spring and I plan to be open minded in making my decision. If I can find a GI iron that still allows me to shape shots than I will surely consider it. I am also tinkering with the idea of a combo set (the TM TPs are appealing since you can easily do this). Of the clubs I hit so far this winter/spring, I really like the Ping S56s and Mizuno MP 63s the best. I have been holding off for the TMs at the end of the month before making a final decision (one of the local driving range has most of the mfcs for a demo day the last weekend in March so I will be able to see the ball flight vs a similator). I also plan to get professional fitted for the first time, so my decision may change based on his recommendation.

Is your HDCP truly a 22?

Yes. And I play much better shots and score much better with the Hogan's vs. the SGI irons. It may be a shaft flex issue with the SGI but right now, I hit the Hogan's pretty well. I can't wait to save up enough $ to get fit for new irons.

I believed the pros and played cavity backs. Hiked that handicap up to 26. I got into some MP-33's and got my handicap down to a 13. Let's be honest here - I pulled the 3 and 4 iron out of the bag, used the 5 only on perfect lies. But with my short irons, I scored. I bought into the hype again and tried dozens of cavity back irons by all the manufacturers and saw my handicap shoot back up to a 19. I've fallen in love with some Srixon Pro 100 blades and the handicap is already down to a 17. I got on the launch monitor and my club guy told me to game the blades. My launch conditions and spin were MUCH better with the blades. My blade misses are definitely short. But it beats the heck out of 20 yards left or high right slices. I'd much, much, much rather have a low miss that I can chip up and rely on my short game. I probably should game a mixed set, but I love my blades which is why I think I love setting up with my wedges. They look like mini blades to me. Just my 2 cents....

I chose the blades for a few reasons. Well 1st off my dad bought them for me so I didn't really have a choice haha. But I had been looking at them anyway. The feel you have when you hit a blade iron in the sweet spot is unparalleled in golf. Also the workability you have when you are playing shots from the woods or around things is amazing.

Yes. And I play much better shots and score much better with the Hogan's vs. the SGI irons. It may be a shaft flex issue with the SGI but right now, I hit the Hogan's pretty well. I can't wait to save up enough $ to get fit for new irons.

cool, thanks for the reply. Have you ever though of just going to a GI, not an SGI? I think its a huge difference IMHO

I just switched from blades to GIs and I'm loving it. I can't work the ball as much, but that's why I switched. With the blades I try to get cute and while it's nice to pull them off, it hurts when you don't. Plus I gained yardage with the loft change which in turn helps my game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back