Why cover the putter?

putters can last forever.
They are often softer metals.
They can be kept in perfect conditions for years.

There is no situation where I will not use a putter cover. No chance.
This right here. Even with a cover, an iron will show wear eventually. But, a putter can be kept in pristine condition for as long as you want essentially.

Scuffed ball is discarded. If I can feel the scuff then it is out of play, if it is a mark (discolored from hitting a tree or something) but not roughed up then still playable.
I think that was being pointed out in the picture was the small ball mark on Tigers putter from him hitting the same spot for 40,000 putts. As far as Speith's grip, that was just ugly but probably felt comfortable to him. I wouldn't have that grip on a broom handle
lol Im kind of nuts when it comes to balls. I wont play even disclorored ones nor balls i find even if the same one I use. The ball has to be my own that I obtained.
The only time ever I will vary from that is if i went through many balls that day via a terrible errant ball striking day.
Otherwise my head (for whatever reasoning IDK) just has to have my own ball that i know came from my sleave and with no marks and scuffs nor discolorations.,..:confused2: crazy io know but just one those things.
And even crazier is there was atime I use to buy used balls aqnd still would only play those ones I bought yet no others. Yes i know makes no sense at all right? What can I say? just one those things. LOL

lol Im kind of nuts when it comes to balls. I wont play even disclorored ones nor balls i find even if the same one I use. The ball has to be my own that I obtained.
The only time ever I will vary from that is if i went through many balls that day via a terrible errant ball striking day.
Otherwise my head (for whatever reasoning IDK) just has to have my own ball that i know came from my sleave and with no marks and scuffs nor discolorations.,..:confused2: crazy io know but just one those things.
And even crazier is there was atime I use to buy used balls aqnd still would only play those ones I bought yet no others. Yes i know makes no sense at all right? What can I say? just one those things. LOL
We all have our quirks. ;)

Both of my putters are 45-year-old Ping Ansers made from manganese bronze. They both look about 99% as good but I highly doubt very many golfers in the 70's and 80's were using headcovers on their putters. Maybe they spent their lives in a closet somewhere, not being played.

One neat thing about the bronze is that little rub marks on the sole or flecks that are made by sand getting on the face just gradually disappear over a period of weeks as the patina covers them up.

I will play a Pro V1x occasionally that I find in the rough in absolutely pristine condition. But otherwise, like you I turn my nose up at balls someone dredges up out of a pond or finds buried under leaves in the woods. Yuck.

My home course has so many old guys constantly bird dogging for lost balls, when I do find one just out of play it's probably only been there for a couple hours at most!

I was off raising my kids not to be communist putter abusers and to ALWAYS put the cover back on.
Its early, but this might be the post of the day...

the pictures of Spieth's grip and also Tiger's putter blade basically undo all the concerns mentioned in the thread. Probably the case also for my irons which i cover and yet in my head Im doing it anyway.
But just to mention if such small dings in our clubs or putter are so detrimental to us then why do so many you use balls with any scuffs at all? I personally do not cause scuffed balls get in my head. But for those who cover their putter strictly for reasons of effect on performance......do you continue to use scuffed balls? Imo that would be counter productive towards the same purpose (at least performance effect wise).
I have never seen anybody recommending a cover on the grip. Your post did not help make any sort of point.

I have never seen anybody recommending a cover on the grip. Your post did not help make any sort of point.
Ok, if thats the "only" thing my post mentions then i suppose your correct.

Covering the putter protects the face from getting dinged up by the other clubs. You want the face of the putter to stay undamaged. Even a small dent could cause errant putts.
This is my thinking as well!

I am the same way when it comes to balls. And I'm no where near good enough for it to matter. But I am a golf ball snob. I'll only put the best new balls available into that pond or screaming into that tree trunk.

Ok, if thats the "only" thing my post mentions then i suppose your correct.
Sure, I'll play nice. I don't think Tiger's putter has dings. Just minor scratches. A ding is going to affect play. I have dinged a putter. It was not a good feeling.

If somebody doesn't want to ding their putter, they should cover it. If they don't care, they shouldn't.

My wife, father-in-law, and mother-in-law do not cover their woods during the round. Just drive the cart around, clubs tinging off of each other.

If a ball is scuffed enough, I take it out of play. Sadly, I haven't had a ball long enough for that to be an issue. Plus, ball covers are so darn good now.

This seems like a silly thread and I don't know what the point of it is.

If a ball is scuffed enough, I take it out of play. Sadly, I haven't had a ball long enough for that to be an issue. Plus, ball covers are so darn good now.

This seems like a silly thread and I don't know what the point of it is.
thats ok,...No one is forcing you to post in it. Actually imo not really much point in posting in a thread just to say you think its silly...is there?

As for the ball cover? i can scuff up new balls fairly quickly when my tee game is errant. One tree or cart path and that could be all it takes.

thats ok,...No one is forcing you to post in it. Actually imo not really much point in posting in a thread just to say you think its silly...is there?

As for the ball cover? i can scuff up new balls fairly quickly when my tee game is errant. One tree or cart path and that could be all it takes.
Thankfully, the course I most frequent has very few trees in play and very wide fairways so the car path isn't in play that often.

Maybe I inferred your tone in this thread. It read to be very judgmental and generally looking down on those who do use putter covers.

Thankfully, the course I most frequent has very few trees in play and very wide fairways so the car path isn't in play that often.

Maybe I inferred your tone in this thread. It read to be very judgmental and generally looking down on those who do use putter covers.
No not looking down on anyone. I thought I mentioned in the open something to that affect. I dont look down on folks except when they dont know how to behave or be freindly emnough.

Im a coverer of irons myself and we tend to get the looks mocking and comments more than anyone....lol.

I believe in covering my investment and taking care of my stuff too.

it may only be that I dont cover my putter because all else is already covered and so there is nothing left over to bang into the putter. I also dont have expensive putters in the past. Even my latest one was only about 100 and thats the most expensive one i ever owned. In general i have less to concern over as for my puttter being covered.

Covers are for the clubs that have the highest resale potential and are expected by buyers to be in reasonable shape....driver, putter, fairway woods. Irons are hit more often from varied lies and dings are expected. A putter rarely touches anything other than a green. Two identical putters in ebay....one covered, one not. Which gets the higher price and is more desirable? Nobody wants a club that looks like it was dragged behind a car.

I cover everything except my wedges.
My blades are too good looking to get scuffed. I don't plan on selling after replacing them and I'd like them to still look good forever.
If you don't care then so be it. To each their own.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Because like has been said, irons are designed for violent turf interaction and therefore damage, to whatever degree, is unavoidable.

As to a defect being detrimental off either putter or irons... putter doesn't compress the ball. The ball will react much more off of the precise point of putter-face/ball contact.

An iron will compress the ball and increase ball/face interaction to a degree that will theoretically eliminate effect from any modest ding as more of the face will contact the ball as opposed to the much more precise point of contact as a putter to a ball.
You’re not swinging your putter hard enough.

To the topic, my putter will always have a cover. I see it as two fold in that it protects the putter and is a way to show a little expression about you. I like the fact that I can get a cover that protects the sight lines, face, and edges while showing off my interests.

Well for me, I leave my covers on all woods/hybrids except when in use. Cover off, hit ball, cover on.
For my putter. That cover stays on in between shots. At $349, and a milled aluminum face, I am NOT dinging it up. But I do take off the cover leave it in the cart when at the green.
iron covers, I think I would use them if I ever buy a NEW set of irons, but, since they are 4+ years old, plus I like the clack, clack, clack when I walk.

Most everyone I've ever played with has had a putter cover, but I can't ever remember seeing anyone bring it to the green.

I take mine off at the beginning of the round. Most of the others take it off and leave it at the cart.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I keep it cover so that it doesn't get dinged by other clubs; especially on the face. They're usually softer metals. I'm also a collector of putter covers that I enjoy seeing in the bag. I often take it to the green with me if I'm not on and am taking a wedge or two also. I usually play in the morning when the grass is wet and I use the cover to lay the grips on to keep them dry.

Last edited:
I keep one on my $25.00 driver.

So, I guess that if I was to pay $400 - $500 for putter, it would have a head cover on. (probably armed security as well)

I cover my putter as well as my longer clubs to protect the shafts. I don’t want to start chipping them.
The putter is short with a heavy head. The longer clubs have the shafts exposed.
The irons are deep enough in the bag so the shafts are not exposed.

It started when manufacturers began applying finishes to putters. In the days of 8802s or tumbled stainless Ansers, putters were treated similar to irons. Once you introduced paint or other easily chipped finishess then the putter became a lot more like a wood and needed protection.

Because putters last longer than any other clubs. Its the club that can save your bacon or make you $$. You protect it, you coddle it and make sure it can last a long time

Back