Why do major OEM ignore juniors?

pumbaa

Need more golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Genuine question. Why is it that major oems ignore the junior market for the most part? They will have a couple box sets, maybe a driver and that is it. Usually it is lacking in their better technology and only a few size options. Ping does the best job of major oems I believe with TaylorMade being the worst( Titleist is the actual worst but they don't have much if anything with the younger/YouTube guys)

They spend a lot of money marketing on YouTube with people like grant and good good or others yet a good portion of these kids can't use their equipment. Is it just not profitable or a big enough market or has us kids, Flynn, and others just ready cornered the jr market?

I have to imagine that it's just not a very profitable avenue for them. US Kids knocks it out of the park, though, IMO.

I would have to imagine there just isn’t the market for it. I mean how many people on THP played as juniors vs playing when they got older?

Plus juniors don’t have jobs and expendable income lol.

I would have to imagine there just isn’t the market for it. I mean how many people on THP played as juniors vs playing when they got older?

Plus juniors don’t have jobs and expendable income lol.
No but their parents do. I'd imagine a lot of people on here played when they were younger and then stopped and came back. I did. Us kids and Flynn seem to have a big enough market to be very successful. I get it though probably not worth it for a major OEM.

Kids outgrow clubs quickly. Parents don’t want to spend money on something that’s not going to be around long. So they will go cheap or hand-me downs.

Do they?
Callaway has XJ and others
Cobra has a junior set that they love
Cleveland Junior set is popular

Who are you not seeing one from?

I thought Taylormade was actually pretty good because if you go to the custom page they usually offer a junior version of their clubs

Do they?
Callaway has XJ and others
Cobra has a junior set that they love
Cleveland Junior set is popular

Who are you not seeing one from?
Callaway xj and Cleveland sets haven't changed in years. Cobra has multiple sets and their yearly driver so they do more than most but overall it feels lacking. Titleist offers nothing but I'm not shocked by this and TaylorMade basically makes a rory set.

I thought Taylormade was actually pretty good because if you go to the custom page they usually offer a junior version of their clubs
I haven't seen this. I've seen the rory set thats about it. Might take a look.

Kids outgrow clubs quickly. Parents don’t want to spend money on something that’s not going to be around long. So they will go cheap or hand-me downs.
I'm not seeing that at all with the junior golfers around me and the tournaments. These parents are spending plenty and companies like us kids and Flynn have shafts and other upgrades. The prodi g from ping is good too and they offer discounted shaft changes and so on.

Callaway xj and Cleveland sets haven't changed in years. Cobra has multiple sets and their yearly driver so they do more than most but overall it feels lacking. Titleist offers nothing but I'm not shocked by this and TaylorMade basically makes a rory set.
What would you suggest? asking genuinely.

Like anything else though, if the junior set is lacking, standard club heads can be special ordered and fitting exists

I don’t think they do, there are junior sets but kids outgrow clubs quickly. My son went through like 3 jr sets before eventually going full size

What would you suggest? asking genuinely.

Like anything else though, if the junior set is lacking, standard club heads can be special ordered and fitting exists
Maybe have a couple year old technology flow down or even a trade up/in program. As I said earlier I get it though it's probably just not enough of a market to really put into it.

I haven't seen this. I've seen the rory set thats about it. Might take a look.
I know they do it for their woods, not sure about irons but there should be a junior option on the stealth driver for example

I don’t think they do, there are junior sets but kids outgrow clubs quickly. My son went through like 3 jr sets before eventually going full size
My son has been through 2 but I've been able to build and customize a set and trade in/up. My son and his friend asked my why can't I get clubs like yours though or what bubbie plays and I said they don't make something like this for juniors. So it just popped into my head to ask.

Maybe have a couple year old technology flow down or even a trade up/in program. As I said earlier I get it though it's probably just not enough of a market to really put into it.
isn’t that what Callaway preowned is? In a lot of ways anyway.
Cobra updates each year

I know they do it for their woods, not sure about irons but there should be a junior option on the stealth driver for example
Cobra does the same as well there is a junior aerojet

isn’t that what Callaway preowned is? In a lot of ways anyway.
Yes and no but they do usually have at least 1 junior set on there but I'm going to find a epic junior on there basically.

Basically they keep advertising to younger and younger people but don't up their offerings to that audience and my son asked me and I told him I can't get the cool stuff he wants from Callaway

I have to imagine that it's just not a very profitable avenue for them. US Kids knocks it out of the park, though, IMO.
Check Flynn out. They have custom shafts for OEM driver heads, iron sets, and will build you anything you want basically. It's impressive and they have taken over the local junior market here mostly. Us kids still popular but Flynn has taken off.

You were correct I just looked TaylorMade goes full on custom jr clubs. That is impressive

I'm a senior who swing no faster than many Juniors. I went to Club Champion and they fitted with with a great half set for $3000.
I'm sure they would do the same for any Junior with parents willing to foot the bill.

They fitted me with irons that a perfect for pin hunting. Enough descent angle to hold greens.
A Stealth driver that matches my swing, not the other way around. A 3HL I can hit off the deck.
Though no putter, as making a 31 inch face balanced putter is outside what they can easily provide.
Plus I told them I know how to cut down putters that short.

I just bought a like new ladies Jaws Raw wedge off CPO for $120 +$15 tax and shipping.
58/8 Z grind. 34 inches. C6.0 swing weight. Not much more expensive than a $99 Ping utility wedge for juniors.
I play on an executive course with small greens and make a lot of shots with a lob wedge.
It might be smarter to lay up and hit the ball straight down the middle of a 13yd wide fairway and then follow that up with a bump and run but it
is more fun to pin hunt and clean it up with a lob wedge when I miss.

CPO now has like new Jaws Raw 52/10S and 56/10S for $111 each.
I could condense my wedge play to just these two wedges.

Last edited:
It's kind of like bikes, it's a smaller market and most people prefer to go used for kids since they outgrow them quickly and move on from a set so fast.

When I started looking for clubs for my youngest, I was pleasantly surprised at what was available for junior golfers.

Pings program is pretty unique you can send them in for length and swing weight adjustment for free

With College Golf doing well on TV that might change

Pings program is pretty unique you can send them in for length and swing weight adjustment for free
Yes ping prodi g is awesome.

Back