True, my apologies, JB.

The bolded is why I like my Ci11s so much. Very forgiving irons that are pleasing to the eye (for me) and that definitely provide enough feedback for me to know whether I caught it thin, off of the toe, off of the heel, etc.

Wilson. Seriously?

/Sorry

Wilson. Seriously?

/Sorry

I assume that's a joke LOL, I get it all the time. They are super sessy irons, though, and they flat out perform. And they have buttery soft blades for omega and co. as well...:alien:

Okay guys, I dont think any more piling on is needed. I actually understand the question and while I did not care for how it was worded, it makes sense if you think about it. Look at it like diminishing returns. How much forgiveness is worth being lost to gain more feedback? If worded better (and the poster clearly meant no harm in my opinion), it is a legitimate question.

Good point. I mean, look where the ball went and at your divot. There's 95% of your feedback.

I think the original question is a good question as JB points out. I love the feel and workability of blades, but 1) in a game of millimeters where hitting the ball just out of the sweet spot could mean the difference between a birdie putt and a sand trap, any little bit of forgiveness helps and 2) the workability is great, but on the average course, how often do you actually need to hit a shot that you can't hit with a CB or even a GI iron? Just my thoughts, I think everyone is entitled to their own preference, whether it actually helps them shoot lower scores or just makes the game more fun for them. Not many of us are making money to play, so if we have fun working the ball - go have fun!

I think the whole debate is overrated really, people drive chevy's and toyota's because they enjoy them, and it's always going to be a game of choices. Work the ball not work the ball, forged or cast, blades or cavity backs lol, the argument will continue just as the game has. Form your opinion, voice your opinion, but why try to change someone else's? It's a waste of good golfing energy lol, and some people take it way too seriously.

Good point. I mean, look where the ball went and at your divot. There's 95% of your feedback.

Couldn't disagree with you more. You could have a perfectly straight divot, straight ball flight, yet still could have hit the ball towards the toe of the club face. Looking purely at ball and divot only tells about half of the story. It all boils down to personal preference. I just don't see why people are so intent to push their beliefs of what type of club others should be playing. If someone wants to play blades, let them, it's not hurting you by them doing it.

I assume that's a joke LOL, I get it all the time. They are super sessy irons, though, and they flat out perform. And they have buttery soft blades for omega and co. as well...:alien:

Obviously joking. The Wilson commercials are ingrained in me. I have heard fantastic things about their irons.

I think the original question is a good question as JB points out. I love the feel and workability of blades, but 1) in a game of millimeters where hitting the ball just out of the sweet spot could mean the difference between a birdie putt and a sand trap, any little bit of forgiveness helps and 2) the workability is great, but on the average course, how often do you actually need to hit a shot that you can't hit with a CB or even a GI iron? Just my thoughts, I think everyone is entitled to their own preference, whether it actually helps them shoot lower scores or just makes the game more fun for them. Not many of us are making money to play, so if we have fun working the ball - go have fun!

True THAT

I grew up playing Hogans as well but they were forged cavity backs (Apex FTX). Incredibly soft, smooth, yet crisp feeling irons when struck well.

Those were some great clubs! I had hand me downs from my dad, 92 Apex Forged Blades. When I bought my first set myself I got the PING G2's. Absolutely hated they way they looked, sold them and went back to my hogans.

My point is that I watch, hear, and listen to people that constantly talk about needing "feedback" and "workability" from their golf clubs but they simply don't know what to do with the feedback they're given and they most definitely don't know how to "work" the ball. In my mind the old saying, "its not the arrow, its the Indian" is about as close to the truth as golf gets.

Golf is such a simpler game when you find a club that you know you can hit well, dial in the distances to the best of your ability and then just simply hit the ball up the fairway.

Feel, look, and feedback. My previous two sets of irons were cavity backs with moderate to high forgiveness. My swing stagnated with both sets because they were letting me get away with some real junk swings and still keeping the ball in play. Going from Burner 1.0 to a12 Pro forced me to get better because I could feel off-center hits and got better feel for what was and was not working. For looks, blades just set up better to my eye. The thin top line and compact head make more sense to my brain. Feel is what made me finally switch to blades. I tested several sets over the course of a six months and kept coming back to the Taylormade MB. The meaty impact and vibration with a clean hit felt awesome and was unlike any other set of clubs I'd used before. The Mizuno mp-59 also felt great but just a little head heavy.

It's also worth adding that when I switched to blades, my game went to pot in an instant but it forced me to correct the swing problems the previous clubs were hiding.

I used to play blades but the blades I played were supremely forgiving, for blades. KZG forged blades. I honestly felt them to be nearly as forgiving as CB's but with the clean look at address and workability I was looking for.

Once upon a time I did have an old set of Hogan Apex blades that I used for practice. Right or wrong, I'd take a couple of irons from that set with me to the range. I'd hit a few shots with it and then switch to the corresponding club from my set. I swore it tightened up my swing. Real or imagined, the results were there.

I viewed it as no different than taking a few swings with a Medicus or Whippy Tempomaster. It was just a tool to make me feel what a better swing should feel like.

I have the Titliest 710CB. To me these look like blades compared to your typical CB irons. So is this the best of both worlds? Case solved?

Sal

Back