Wildlife Seen on the Golf Course

When I was in South Carolina me and my dad were waiting for some guys to finish out a par 3. He took out the ball retriever and without looking came a foot away from stepping on a 7 foot alligator! It jumped in the water, but was he scared! :)

Wildlife on the courses near me in Southeastern VA:
Deer, Fox, geese, Blue Heron, frogs, turtles, fish, squirrels, vaious snakes such as water moccasins, black snakes, garden snakes and rattle snakes, turkey, osprey, hawks, bald eagles. Then there are the mosquitos, ticks, and may flys.

Down here in Miami, aligators are a regular sight, deer, turtles, fish, bald eagles, ducks, geese, blue herons, cranes, two most unusual sights, a 12 foot boa and a florida panther at a course just west of the everglades in Naples.

That course seems a little scary, haha

There is a red fox that sleeps in a wood side bunker on the 7th hole at my home course. If you play really early in the morning (5:30 ish) you can see him.

A turtle laid eggs in a bunker at the course I work at. We roped it off as ground under repair in hopes that people will respect the eggs and not bother them. Time will tell.

I had a mother skunk and 2 little ones run my ass off of the 9th tee today at my home course. My golf game might stink but it doesn't STINK! We also run across a lot of deer, a few foxes here and there and last weeka very ornery bull snake. I love Illinois golf.

It's pretty common here in south Louisiana for courses to have Alligators. I don't mess with them haha

It's pretty common here in south Louisiana for courses to have Alligators. I don't mess with them haha

Growing up in Louisiana and now living in South Florida, I have always had a quote I say when I hit into either the water, swampy areas, etc...

Someone will ask if I want to look for it, I always reply, "No, I'll let the gators keep that one."

When I went to the Zurich I followed Rickie Fowler and Robert Allenby. They must have stood on 12 tee box for 15 mins looking at a 8 foot alligator thats was 20 feet from them. And later on that same day, one of the marshals had to stop the crowd as a huge water moccasin crossed the walk path in the rough.

Man, for some of you golf is dangerous lol. The three closest courses to me are nestled in mountains, and I have seen a ton of deer just walking around and about three trillion squirrels. I don't know how good it is for the course though some time when deer are walking across the greens. Three deer were standing on the edge of the green one time. Other than deer and squirrels, foxes seem to love golf courses too. Glad that's all I deal with.

Run-ins With Wildlife On the Golf Course?

Run-ins With Wildlife On the Golf Course?

So last week I walked 9 holes, here at a local city course in Omaha. I reached hole 8, and slapped another drive down the middle of the fairway on the dogleg right par 5 (I love this driver). I waited probably 5 minutes for the group in front of me to continue, before taking my second shot. I took my second shot with a 3 wood, coming up probably 20 yards short of the green.

As I am walking down the fairway, I see a black bird of some sort (had a red feather?) swoop out from the trees to my left chirping Morse code for "back off!" It began hovering above me, no more than 4 feet above my head, lagging about a foot behind me, chirping nonstop. THEN, another bird joined him in the chirping/taunting. I figured they would fly off, but when I stopped, they stopped...when I went left, they went left. It was like something out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie. Anyways, they followed me for about 100 yards, barking and chirping at me at the top of their bird lungs. About halfway down the fairway, I noticed a baby bird, sitting in the middle of the fairway. I avoided it, as I feared for my life from the guard-birds.

I can only imagine how hilarious it looked from someone else's perspective, seeing me strafing down the fairway, sideways, with my head turned back, looking up at these 2 birds following/taunting/warning me.

Has anyone else had run-ins with wildlife on a course? I know a lot of people live down in Florida... how are the crocs/gators on those courses? :laugh:

Geese Geese and more geese!

down here in south Louisiana there are quite a few courses with Alligators on them. My home course Acadian Hills has a pretty decent size one in pond beside green on par 5 11th....

My friend was the last to tee off in our foursome. He ripped his driver and the ball ran off the fairway and 3-4 ft into the rough. A red tail fox non nonchalantly walks out of the woods and sniffs the ball. Then he lays down and begins to treat the Pro V1 as a chew toy. My friend starts shouting at the fox and waving his driver around to look more menacing. We grab our bags and head to his ball. We got to about within 50 ft. of the fox and with ball in his mouth, he heads back into the woods.

The usual here to squirrels, ducks, geese, deer, and one time had the misfortune of stumbling upon a little black bear turning a bend on the cart part. He was just as startled to see me as I was him and we both went as fast as we could in opposite directions, that bear has since been relocated by the local wildlife agency.

Here in north GA, I come across many squirrels, deer, geese, birds, and sometimes rabbits. It's always neat to run into the deer that don't mind you're there.

My buddy and I were playing the other day, when he hit his ball over the green. While we were looking for his ball, we saw this climbing up the tree.

Snake.jpg

Just last weekend when I was out playing, My dad and I saw a couple turkeys. One on the green of a par 3 as we were teeing off then it decided to walk in front of our tee box when we teed off on the next hole too. Have seen some deer and other small normal ohio wildlife.

Alligators are almost always present on courses in Florida with water hazards of any size. Last week, a playing partner's tee shot rolled right and off the fairway over a low stone retaining wall into a lateral water hazard. As I walked over to see if I could see his ball, I noticed a water moccasin laying on the sand just above the water line. We see black snakes all the time, but this was the first venomous snake I've seen
in a long time on a golf course.

Basic deer running across from our round this morning at Magnolia Plantation:

96b2a92d.jpg

f91649bc.jpg

Saw a fox the other day in the fairway. He was all orange and pretty dang foxy imo. Coolest animal I've seen on a course is a big horn sheep at Lake Las Vegas. Saw a black bear in Florida, I think it was at Timacuan. I see 1000's of bunnies here every time I play, and I like me some bunnies!

My buddy and I were playing the other day, when he hit his ball over the green. While we were looking for his ball, we saw this climbing up the tree.

Snake.jpg

holy bajeebeeez... how the heck is that thing even climbing?

Haha I have no idea. I didn't think snakes could climb. It was headed into the hole in the tree.

Wow.. I would definitely not hit a shot from under that tree! The most I see up here is ducks, geese and coyotes.

Snake.jpg

this guy would have shat!!!

Back