Will a Dress Code Reduce Damage to Greens?

Agree with your statement. They could have worded it better.
Seem’s many commenters aren’t seeing the big picture though.
“You do know every single generation ever has made that same comment about the state of society, right?”
Doesn’t mean it’s not true.😉
-signed-

Every elder generation ever since the Dawn of time.

I think the course should employ a bag check. If you are playing clubs older 5 years or if they are a Wal*Mart or Costco brand you are prohibited from playing as you are a designated hooligan.

I think the course should employ a bag check. If you are playing clubs older 5 years or if they are a Wal*Mart or Costco brand you are prohibited from playing as you are a designated hooligan.

Orchard Creek is one of the best public courses in NY's Capital Region. I think most area golfers would certainly put it in the top five regionally. It was built in the middle of a working apple orchard, and golfers are allowed to pick apples in the fall.

Greens fees range from $41 to $73, depending upon when you play and whether you're walking or riding.

I got this email yesterday.

View attachment 9190759

While I share their anger and have no objections to their dress code, does anyone think it will do anything in terms of deterring willful damage to the greens? The letter says it is a first step, but will it do anything?

More importantly, if you see someone deliberately damaging the course, do you do anything? Confront the offender? Report it immediately? After the round?
Well, requiring collared shirts certainly will bring about a higher class of clientele.

If I saw someone intentionally damaging a green I would immediately report it to the pro shop. That is completely unacceptable. I'm usually a very laid back guy but that would raise the hair on the back of my neck.

Would a dress code eliminate or reduce that? Maybe. Someone in casual tee shirts is probably less likely to have more respect than someone who is dressed accordingly.

My course doesn't have the collar requirement. But I always wear one because it makes me feel more like a golfer. Like when I played baseball/softball. We always wore uniforms because it felt more competitive.

I am blown away by this thread. I really am.

I'm not so sure a person's personal dress code has much of an effect on that person's personal actions.

I've seen both well dressed, and less than casual dressed golfers be jerks on a golf course.

By the same token I've also seen the same type of dressed golfer act with integrity while golfing.

I too have also noticed more unrepaired damage occuring on my home course with no change in golf attire by those using it.

Back