Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 Review Thread

"The lofts are about a club different than the 2.0s (Basically the 8 iron V2 is a 7 iron in the 2.0s), so having to take that into consideration when gauging my distances."

WE, a question about the lofts in the V2 versus your 2.0s. If the lofts in your 2.0s are stronger than the V2s, then the 8 iron V2 is a 9 iron in the 2.0s.

Thanks....Appreciate it.

"The lofts are about a club different than the 2.0s (Basically the 8 iron V2 is a 7 iron in the 2.0s), so having to take that into consideration when gauging my distances."

WE, a question about the lofts in the V2 versus your 2.0s. If the lofts in your 2.0s are stronger than the V2s, then the 8 iron V2 is a 9 iron in the 2.0s.

Thanks....Appreciate it.

I typed that out wrong, but here's the breakdown.

Burner 2.0s/ Wilson Staff FG Tour V2s
4I - 21* / 24*
5I - 24* / 27*
6I - 27* / 31*
7I - 31* / 35*
8I - 35* / 39*
9I - 40* / 43*
PW - 45* / 47*

Great initial thoughts guys. Videos and pics wonderful as well. I don't know if it's just me or not, but the video and audio weren't in synch with each other on the full 6 iron video.

I like that you seem to be able to hit these so well right off the bat. I think I would be having issues with these.

Great initial thoughts guys. Videos and pics wonderful as well. I don't know if it's just me or not, but the video and audio weren't in synch with each other on the full 6 iron video.

I like that you seem to be able to hit these so well right off the bat. I think I would be having issues with these.

I am having issues with getting the sound/video to sync on the longer videos.

I had an overall good day on the range with these, but I had my share of mis-hits as well.

4I - 21* / 24*
5I - 24* / 27*
6I - 27* / 31*
7I - 31* / 35*
8I - 35* / 39*
9I - 40* / 43*
PW - 45* / 47*

That is quite a big difference between sets, do you think you are going to have gap issues between your irons and your hybrid now?

That is quite a big difference between sets, do you think you are going to have gap issues between your irons and your hybrid now?

There will be a noticeable gap, but I do not think it will be something that will cause any problems.

Nice initial impressions so far guys. I really love the way these irons look.

4I - 21* / 24*
5I - 24* / 27*
6I - 27* / 31*
7I - 31* / 35*
8I - 35* / 39*
9I - 40* / 43*
PW - 45* / 47*

Wow, what a difference. The 2.0s are a full club stronger across the entire lineup. The V2s are the same lofts as my Mizuno irons, a good friend has the original TM Burners. Assuming his lofts are the same as the 2.0, I'm always a club stronger than him...until today....No difference.

Excellent review.

Fan-freaking-tastic so far guys. I can't believe I missed this until now, I'm still working my way back to the front but after going through the last couple pages this is going to be a great testing.

I'll say this though, I have MAJOR issues focusing on the words of ANY post with pic's of these in it, so unbelievably sessy!

Now, back to reading! Thanks guys!

Holy hell, I just got back to all of Hawk's pics in the first post and seriously about fainted, these are just crazy good looking.

This is awesome, keep it up!

These do look good, but I prefer the original FG Tours. Anyone got to hit These both? Back to back?

Holy hell, I just got back to all of Hawk's pics in the first post and seriously about fainted, these are just crazy good looking.

This is awesome, keep it up!

I agree Jman, these irons are stunning to look at, almost hypnotizing lol

Great start on the reviews guys,the amount of info you have provided in such a short amount of time tells me that J.B. and THP definently picked the right testers.Hawk,i know you have talked previously about and have experience with the original FG tours and,i have hit them plenty as well.To me they seemed to be very forgiving for a "players" iron and i was wondering how you would compare the forgivness of the newer V2 version to the originals.I know its a little early to ask this question so just answer it when you feel you have had enough time with them or any of the other testers that had experience with the originals chime in also,THANKS.

I can't give a full idea of forgiveness at the moment, but there is a good amount of perimeter weighting for such a sleek iron.

I've actually been playing a 6-PW set, so solving my gaps was as easy as just throwing another iron in my bag.

These do look good, but I prefer the original FG Tours. Anyone got to hit These both? Back to back?

I've hit them both, but not back to back. I doubt you'll find many people that have since the V2's are a couple months away from release. The FG Tour V1's seem heavier if my memory serves me correctly.

You guys are really doing a fantastic job. The pics and videos really show how stunning these clubs are. Hawk I held your clubs and I'm glad theyre treating you well :)

Seeing how these have weaker lofts than your previous sets, would you consider changing the lofts even if only a few degrees?

You guys are really doing a fantastic job. The pics and videos really show how stunning these clubs are. Hawk I held your clubs and I'm glad theyre treating you well :)

Seeing how these have weaker lofts than your previous sets, would you consider changing the lofts even if only a few degrees?

It's tough to say right now, Yoccos. I'm shorter, but I hit the low irons pretty well today. If that continues, I'm not really sure that it will be an issue. Time will tell :)

I don't have time for a full update this evening, but I will give a quick summary of my day today.

I went to a driving range that I'd never been to and hit some balls out of crabgrass. I decided to try out the executive 9 at the facility and ended up shooting a +6 39. I used the V2's off the tee on every hole except for two. I hit the irons pretty well today. It was very windy and it seemed like the ball flight with the V2's was a bit lower, which was a huge benefit.

I really enjoyed the V2's today. I will have some detailed feedback, including a couple short videos, sometime tomorrow. Weather permitting, I'm playing a full course tomorrow.

Thanks for all the kind words, guys.

Was thinking about this on the range today, but will see how these work for me out on the course tomorrow morning. The range I was at today had the hitting area moved up a good bit, so I was able to get exact distances (if range distances are ever exact anyway). Will have a better idea tomorrow after playing a full 18.

Even though the clubs are lofted differently than my previous set, I dont think I will have too many issues, I will just have to adjust my distances to each club (basically take one club stronger than I normally would).

Ok i have a question for you guys. The leading edge looks really sharp, espicially in some of the pictures that Hawk posted next to his adams redlines. How do these clubs feel and react with the turf?

Have a full round tomorrow morning at a course here in the Sarasota/Bradenton area called Waterlefe, it's a great course, but the joke about it is that it has water in play on 20 of 18 holes. Literally in play on every hole. Have my work cut out for me, but looking forward to it.

Here's the set up I am gaming tomorrow;
From the V2 set, going to game the 4-PW, taking my 50* A Wedge, 54* xFT, 58* xFT.

My gaps will be basically 4* through my entire setup, except going from the V2 47* PW to the 2.0 50* AW.

I think this set up will work out quite well for me. Have been thinking about distances and course management at the Course, and think I should be set up for a good day (except the ridiculous amount of water).

Ok i have a question for you guys. The leading edge looks really sharp, espicially in some of the pictures that Hawk posted next to his adams redlines. How do these clubs feel and react with the turf?

If you like throwing out some serious divots, these are the clubs for you. From my experience on the range today, I was getting the club through the turf very nicely. On some of my mis-hits, I was getting to steep and getting too much into the dirt, but that was more of an issue with my swing rather than the edges of the club head. I usually take a good divot with my iron shots, so this wasnt something out of the ordinary for me.

Obviously hitting on a regular grass range wont get me the best information or feedback, but hitting off the grass on the course tomorrow should tell me what I need to know.

Have a full round tomorrow morning at a course here in the Sarasota/Bradenton area called Waterlefe, it's a great course, but the joke about it is that it has water in play on 20 of 18 holes. Literally in play on every hole. Have my work cut out for me, but looking forward to it.

Here's the set up I am gaming tomorrow;
From the V2 set, going to game the 4-PW, taking my 50* A Wedge, 54* xFT, 58* xFT.

My gaps will be basically 4* through my entire setup, except going from the V2 47* PW to the 2.0 50* AW.

I think this set up will work out quite well for me. Have been thinking about distances and course management at the Course, and think I should be set up for a good day (except the ridiculous amount of water).

Try and keep the ball dry tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. It is tough watching you guys enjoying these clubs knowing I still have a few days to wait.

Try and keep the ball dry tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing how it goes for you. It is tough watching you guys enjoying these clubs knowing I still have a few days to wait.

1. It will be worth the wait, no worries. 2. Gotta love living in relatively close proximity to THP HQ!

They look amazing dont they?
Spoiler
photo2.jpg
Yes. Very.

great initial thoughts and videos there Hawk and WE. Some good looking clubs and i'll be following these closely. I've never hit any Wilson staff clubs as I felt they weren't upper echelon equipment since their balls were like rocks. Was intrigued by these clubs and will be watching closely

You guys are doing a great job! I have really enjoyed to write ups and the video review. I think THP testers are getting better and better with each set of clubs to review. I can't wait for more results to come.

Back