Winter rules golf course question.

Iowahacker

Reaction score
Handicap
My home course plays winter rules year round. The fairways and around greens are patchy some spots really bad some not. I am really trying to improve my game but not sure how to play? I just dont want to feel like there should be a asterisk by my handicap.

Play the ball as it lies.

What do you plan on doing with your HC?

My home course plays winter rules year round. The fairways and around greens are patchy some spots really bad some not. I am really trying to improve my game but not sure how to play? I just dont want to feel like there should be a asterisk by my handicap.
Only lift/clean/place in the fairway and play the ball down elsewhere is probably a good place to start.

Only lift, clean and place if the ball has mud on it or is otherwise unplayable. Otherwise play it as it lies.

find a new home course?

Do what the local rules say you can do.

If they allow clean and place through the green that's what you get.

Clean and place rules are almost always there when the conditions aren't normal and are in no way a negative where your handicap is concerned - especially because you are all playing the same course under the same conditions and rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want an honest handicap play the ball as it lies, you'll only hurt yourself if you move the ball every shot. If the course is that bad like someone else said, you may want to check into another course if it's possible.

I played a tournament at a course that was under "winter rules" at the time once. Their version of winter rules was that you could roll the ball in the fairway, but not lift, clean and place.

Play the ball as it lies or change courses. I have the same issue with the main course that I go to. The playing conditions are really detrimental to play, but it is easily accessible to where I work and is cheap. But come weekend, I would not go near it for a round. I always find a nicer facility. My game is much better at the other courses.

I agree. Only move the ball when you need to. My home course has winter rules all year and that's what I do. If I'm not plugged, have mud on it, in a hole or have some other bad lie due to poor conditions I play it out.

We face similar conditions early in the season here and many people chose to roll the ball out of the clumps and up on a patch of better grass, but think how solid your entire game would be if you learned how to play from any lie. I say play it down unless you face gravel, rocks and that type of club damaging junk.

If your handicap is 20+ don't worry about it. Find yourself good lies to hit from if the conditions aren't very good and work to get better at swinging the club and making good contact. Once you start getting better and can handle the rougher conditions then start playing the ball down if you like. Keep the game fun until you're at a place when you can make it fun and challenging.

I played a tournament at a course that was under "winter rules" at the time once. Their version of winter rules was that you could roll the ball in the fairway, but not lift, clean and place.

Define roll? Like give it a big kick 20 yards forward? Roll it back 10 yards to get to your favorite distance? Or like a six inch limit?

THPing on Tapatalk

I say play it down unless you face gravel, rocks and that type of club damaging junk.

+1 to this. I destroyed a couple of clubs "playing it down" too literally. If I'm going to damage a club or hurt myself, I don't play it down. I'll move it to the right or left (which is typically still on some sort of hard pan).

Most of the time though, that type of mess comes with me flirting OB. When that happens, I often just toss it out and take the penalty stroke.

+1 to this. I destroyed a couple of clubs "playing it down" too literally. If I'm going to damage a club or hurt myself, I don't play it down. I'll move it to the right or left (which is typically still on some sort of hard pan).

Most of the time though, that type of mess comes with me flirting OB. When that happens, I often just toss it out and take the penalty stroke.

TECHNICALLY, you should take two strokes if you don't go back and re-hit when you hit one OB! :eyepoke:

Define roll? Like give it a big kick 20 yards forward? Roll it back 10 yards to get to your favorite distance? Or like a six inch limit?
You know what he means, no need for that. Take your club and fluff your lie. Come on dude.

I'd play by the rules that you are given. If that's 'winter rules', have at it.

I'd play by the rules that you are given. If that's 'winter rules', have at it.

that's my thought too Hawk. You aren't cheating your game or your handicap if those are the rules your course is playing by. Check out rule 7-1 in the rule book. You are fine.

THPing on Tapatalk

You know what he means, no need for that. Take your club and fluff your lie. Come on dude.

Actually I thought it was a legitimate question... What if your ball was 30 yds to the right of the fairway off the tee and the original post said you could "roll the ball in the fairway"...

Unless you plan on playing in tournaments, follow the local winter rules.

If you want to play in tourneys, play it as it lies. It will more accurately reflect your scoring abilities.

I'd play to where you can move the ball within one scorecard length, but no closer to the hole. If that gives you a bad lie still, then so be it, but if you can improve the lie, more power to you.

And no "*" by the handicap for doing so.

Play well and be sure to have fun.

Actually I thought it was a legitimate question... What if your ball was 30 yds to the right of the fairway off the tee and the original post said you could "roll the ball in the fairway"...

"Roll the ball in the fairway" meant you could move it with your club within one club length, usually from a bare spot to some grass.

I didn't quite know what he meant actually. There's a lot of loose definitions in golf, for example "two clublengths"

Roll could mean anything. JJ pointed out that it said you could roll your ball in the fairway. That's pretty loose.

THPing on Tapatalk

I'd play to where you can move the ball within one scorecard length, but no closer to the hole. If that gives you a bad lie still, then so be it, but if you can improve the lie, more power to you.

And no "*" by the handicap for doing so.

Play well and be sure to have fun.

This is an example of where a number is needed. The scorecards at my old home course were four panel and over a foot long when extended. The ones at my new home course are about ten inches. The ones at the course I played last weekend are six by six one sided. Scorecard isn't a good way to define that.

THPing on Tapatalk

Back