Working at a course -advice

Buckjob

My Friend's Call Me Drew
Reaction score
Handicap
Well it looks like I got hired part time at a golf course. I'm not sure how it will work with my shift work but I'm pretty excited none the less. I have never worked at a course before and I gotta say I'm a little nervous about it. I would pretty much be doing a little bit of everything from what the guy was saying at my interview. Starter/ranger/ player assistant / cleaning clubs on 18 / moving and cleaning carts / picking balls from the range. So it sounds like I'll be a jack of all trades on the course. I know a few people here work or have worked on courses so I was just curious if any of you had any advice or things you learned that helped you along the way. I know a lot about the game but not that much about the business. If we could keep the wearing long sleeves advice to a minimum I'd appreciate it. I did interview with short sleeves.

Well it looks like I got hired part time at a golf course. I'm not sure how it will work with my shift work but I'm pretty excited none the less. I have never worked at a course before and I gotta say I'm a little nervous about it. I would pretty much be doing a little bit of everything from what the guy was saying at my interview. Starter/ranger/ player assistant / cleaning clubs on 18 / moving and cleaning carts / picking balls from the range. So it sounds like I'll be a jack of all trades on the course. I know a few people here work or have worked on courses so I was just curious if any of you had any advice or things you learned that helped you along the way. I know a lot about the game but not that much about the business. If we could keep the wearing long sleeves advice to a minimum I'd appreciate it. I did interview with short sleeves.
Good on you Buck! The best approach I was given is to treat the course, facility and players like you want it to be treated. A little bit of honey goes a long ways.

Which course?

Show attention to detail. My first year at the course was very similar to the job description you're under. There's a lot that goes unseen at a golf course and if everything can be done in a timely manner and the small things in-between the large things gets done, you'll be fine.

When interacting with members/players just be yourself. Proper manners, be friendly, and take the time to get to know some of the people, it goes a long way if you're able to remember some names and faces.

I worked primarily as a caddy for 9 years however towards the end I also worked as a pro shop assistant, bag room attendant, range picker and starter.

If I could give you any advice just always smile (not saying you already don't) and make sure the clubs are clean when you put then away. You'll have your regulars who slip you a 5 or 10 spot for grabbing clubs for their car or just for being a starter. It's a fun job for sure. I miss working at a course a great deal.

Now if you get the chance to work in the pro shop just make sure they explain to you how they want you to do inventory, which clubs/bals are selling the most, least, etc. And try to keep your personal biases about product lines to yourself. Since alot of people "just want what the pros hit"... If they ask you what you play then upload your knowledge.

Good luck!

Just be yourself Buck. Treat the customers like you would like to be treated if you were golfing, that is it. Attention to detail is a good thing too and if you are able to pick up names from some regulars, that may go a long way. Most importantly, have fun, otherwise it is just a job.

Just be yourself Buck. Treat the customers like you would like to be treated if you were golfing, that is it. Attention to detail is a good thing too and if you are able to pick up names from some regulars, that may go a long way. Most importantly, have fun, otherwise it is just a job.

I think Tyler nailed it here Bucky.

yeah thanks guys Its funny how i'm nervous about it a little bit, i mean if it doesn't work out it sure wont be the end of the world. i'm more worried about scheduling conflicts causing a problem than me not being able to handle the job. All i know is i'll be outside and getting paid to be at a golf course even if it is close to minimum wage.

I sure hope no one falls behind at your course I could just imagine the words you'd use to tell them to catch up! Good for you, you'll have a good time and like you said you're getting paid to be at a course.

I sure hope no one falls behind at your course I could just imagine the words you'd use to tell them to catch up! Good for you, you'll have a good time and like you said you're getting paid to be at a course.

hahaha honestly that was a thing i was wondering about how to politely tell people to get their butts in gear i don't think i've ever been told by a ranger any group i've been in needed to pick up the pace of play so i wouldn't even know what to say

Congrats! Try to be nice to everyone! Like others have said, treat every golfer like you would like to be treated. And some people will never be satisfied, accept that.
Re: speed of play, just mention casually to ALL groups to try to keep up with the group in front of you so that the pace of play is maintained. Nothing big or dramatic, but if you say that to every group, all the time, you will never have to worry about saying it to a slow group. Make it a habit when you are the ranger and the starter.

I don't know what the long sleeves comment means, but I only had one job when I worked at my home course, and that was as starter. Part of the job was staging the carts first thing in the morning (if I was on the early shift), but once play began, my place was at the window of the starter booth. I checked players in ( I managed 2 of the 3 courses at our facility - the pro shop managed the par 3 course), called them to the tee, and gave the next group a 9 minute warning. I also kept track of playing times at the turn and finish (and "counseled" slow groups after 9), answered the phone for reservations on the day of play, managed walk-on players, and if time allowed I'd also take advance reservations (if I was busy, I'd transfer those calls to the pro shop).

Since I was right out front and in direct contact with most customers, I was also very visible, so I was required to be presentable (regular golf attire was the norm, usually a polo and shorts most of the season). I was expected to be pleasant and friendly, even in some very frustrating situations. If a problem came up that I couldn't handle, I still had to keep my cool and refer it to the pro on duty. Because I was right out there in the starter booth, I was usually the first one that players complained to when they had an issue, real or imagined, and I learned to be diplomatic even though I wasn't always sympathetic.

I don't know what the long sleeves comment means, but I only had one job when I worked at my home course, and that was as starter. Part of the job was staging the carts first thing in the morning (if I was on the early shift), but once play began, my place was at the window of the starter booth. I checked players in ( I managed 2 of the 3 courses at our facility - the pro shop managed the par 3 course), called them to the tee, and gave the next group a 9 minute warning. I also kept track of playing times at the turn and finish (and "counseled" slow groups after 9), answered the phone for reservations on the day of play, managed walk-on players, and if time allowed I'd also take advance reservations (if I was busy, I'd transfer those calls to the pro shop).

Since I was right out front and in direct contact with most customers, I was also very visible, so I was required to be presentable (regular golf attire was the norm, usually a polo and shorts most of the season). I was expected to be pleasant and friendly, even in some very frustrating situations. If a problem came up that I couldn't handle, I still had to keep my cool and refer it to the pro on duty. Because I was right out there in the starter booth, I was usually the first one that players complained to when they had an issue, real or imagined, and I learned to be diplomatic even though I wasn't always sympathetic.

Thanks for the advice. I have a few tattoos so I know a few guys would busy my chops about it. That's what the long sleeve comment is about. Yeah I learned how to be pretty diplomatic working at the police department for a while. So I should be able to handle anyone that's complaining that's all anyone ever does to the police.

I did back in the day. Did a little bit of everything. Treat customers well and have a good work ethic and it will all work out.

Be yourself. Treat the people how you like to be treated at a golf course. You have a pretty good personality and I don't see you having any issue fitting in and being able to handle yourself in anything that would arise. Oh and don't wear long sleeves...

Good on you Buck! The best approach I was given is to treat the course, facility and players like you want it to be treated. A little bit of honey goes a long ways.

I agree. I've done just about every job over the years at my home course. Just greet and treat people the way you would want to be treated.

Just the fact that you are asking advice of golfers means you are conscientious. I foresee you as a bright energetic asset to your course. Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice guys. Yesterday was my first day and we were super slow golfer wise they aerated the greens yesterday but I never stopped working all day. It was fun and rewarding I hope it works out schedule wise for me and isn't to much. But I really had fun and honestly that's what really matters to me.

Well, just because I didn't see it in my breeze through other tips....

If I had just one tip/thought, I would say, remember that this is kind of like a 'customer service' position. With a lot of those duties, you are going to be the 'face of the course' at that moment. So have fun, and make sure your fun is infectious to the customers.

I've seen some club cleaners on 18 who just sort of mope out to my cart, "pretend to clean my clubs" (I have covers on all clubs, its not like I don't notice that they don't take them off), and then mope back without saying a word to me. Not that it effects my opinion of the course, but I certainly leave on a happier note when some guy comes out, asks how we did, comments on weather, maybe makes a joke or two.

~Rock

Well, just because I didn't see it in my breeze through other tips....

If I had just one tip/thought, I would say, remember that this is kind of like a 'customer service' position. With a lot of those duties, you are going to be the 'face of the course' at that moment. So have fun, and make sure your fun is infectious to the customers.

I've seen some club cleaners on 18 who just sort of mope out to my cart, "pretend to clean my clubs" (I have covers on all clubs, its not like I don't notice that they don't take them off), and then mope back without saying a word to me. Not that it effects my opinion of the course, but I certainly leave on a happier note when some guy comes out, asks how we did, comments on weather, maybe makes a joke or two.

~Rock

I was talking to the one guy I worked with yesterday about this. The guys cleaning the clubs add something to my experience there when I played there. And one of the reasons although small reason why I liked coming back.

Make sure if you are the marshal, go around and YELL at every slow group .... that always helps. Oh ... and keep driving behind the the slow group so they "know you are lurking and watching their every move." LOL

Had this happen to me the other day ... even though MY group wasn't the one causing the backup!

Make sure if you are the marshal, go around and YELL at every slow group .... that always helps. Oh ... and keep driving behind the the slow group so they "know you are lurking and watching their every move." LOL

Had this happen to me the other day ... even though MY group wasn't the one causing the backup!

That's what all the slow groups say. They actually have a very good system In place to monitor pace of play but they said weekends are still slower cause it's hard to get a Marshall out all day long.

Show attention to detail. My first year at the course was very similar to the job description you're under. There's a lot that goes unseen at a golf course and if everything can be done in a timely manner and the small things in-between the large things gets done, you'll be fine.

When interacting with members/players just be yourself. Proper manners, be friendly, and take the time to get to know some of the people, it goes a long way if you're able to remember some names and faces.

Nailed it right there!

Remember and always tell yourself, "How do I want others to treat me when I'M the one playing at another course?" Attention to detail was always a big thing for me, too. If you see trash, pick it up. Cups are low? Get more. Carts have some water on the seats? Dry them off. Range buckets are all over the range? Pick them up. It's a LOT of common sense, but some people just don't care. Smile!!! Be yourself, and remember that the customer is there to have fun, and spend his money, on his day off.

You'll do fine! Have fun!

Just treat everyone the way you treat Dev... oh, wait - disregard!

congrats on the job, free golf?

I have been a starter for a few years and I can say that attention to detail is the key, little things like remembering the members names are doing a lot!

oh, and long sleeves dude

Back