World Golf Rankings- 4/25/2011

It does make sense, but I have no doubt that Lee's manager chooses events that help them manipulate the system. From a business stand point, it's smart (hence all the logos on his shirts haha) but from a competitive standpoint, it's pretty lame.

Being the Westwood homer that I am, I think a nice little beer bet would be fun.
Cool. It will be fun to track this.

Again, I just thought he would continue to slid further and further down the rankings, not much happening for him to keep him from falling more and more it seems.

TW has finished in the top ten when counts so he keeps getting points.

But it was recognised. If LD won, he'd still have jumped 2 places and leapfrogged Westwood (no mean feat for a man of his stature). So the ranking points were quite clearly loaded in the favour of the US event.

I think the amount of new winners on the PGA this year might be clouding some people's judgement when they're saying the US isn't keeping up. The Euros seem to be standing out for one reason or another, but there have been some solid wins by inexperienced US players this season. That's got to be good for the future of the tour and the entertainment level!

No question and they certainly are weighted, but this event was an absolute joke even by Tooth standards.

Well perhaps when 90% of that Tour is made up of US players? 66% not so great when put into that context.

Think I'm right that Lee got just 20 pts for his win this week, so the events are graded according to status. Majors get 100 for example.

Hope that helps with how things work.

I fully understand how the rankings work. I dont agree with them, but understand it. As for how the PGA Tour is filled, that is not really up for debate. It was called the year of the Euro on the PGA Tour despite how many made up the tour.

Ironically, his 1st tenure was longer than Kaymer's. Why don't you call Kaymer a joke or a choker? Lee may only show up for 3 days at Augusta but at least he makes the cut.

tapatalk: even available for lefties!

There is a phone call for you. Its a major calling. And by the way, have you lost long term memory, its not as if Kaymer has not won this year. In fact if you take a look at Kaymer and Westwood together, they have just flip flopped, but cmon, dont tell me you think this is a great win. In fact just for kicks, why dont you have a look at the last few events Lee has won. Those stellar fields and all.

I never said anything about "great win"....in fact, I said he's good at manipulating the system, which clearly he and Chubby are good at. Kaymer backed into a Major, but hasn't won on the PGA Tour otherwise. I'm just saying, if you really put Kaymer under the same microscope, he's about as consistent as Lee is, and consistency is what pays off when it comes to World Rankings.

I never said anything about "great win"....in fact, I said he's good at manipulating the system, which clearly he and Chubby are good at. Kaymer backed into a Major, but hasn't won on the PGA Tour otherwise. I'm just saying, if you really put Kaymer under the same microscope, he's about as consistent as Lee is, and consistency is what pays off when it comes to World Rankings.

You dont need to sell me, I have said that about Kaymer this year. However his win earlier this year was against a great field and he lapped the field loaded with top talent.

I think Kaymer has a lot of great golf in him, but I also think he's still got a learning curve on the PGA. He doesn't look fully comfortable out there yet.

Watching Westwood at the Masters and again last week, I wish he could get any putter going and show you doubters a thing or two....he's playing tee to green amazingly right now. No point in that if you can't putt though!

Watching Westwood at the Masters and again last week, I wish he could get any putter going and show you doubters a thing or two....he's playing tee to green amazingly right now. No point in that if you can't putt though!

Its funny, if you take out the word Westwood and change it to Woods, you could say the same thing.

Its funny, if you take out the word Westwood and change it to Woods, you could say the same thing.

Only if you add "for that front 9 on Sunday" :D

I would say the biggest story is that we were told for the entire "offseason" that the PGA Tour this year was the year of the Euro.

18 Tour events, 12 won by U.S. players.

Not sure if we are just so used to TW dominance that having things such as 12 of 18 is looked at as not playing well for a country.

You asked and I simply gave a reason as to why it may be construed that way. Simple as that. It's not necessarily my opinion but just a way of how people could look at a 66% strike rate not being that great.

There's going to be a lot of chopping and changing at the top this year, that is for certain, are we going to have a new "Unsuitable #1" thread every week? I'll make popcorn.

Reactions: JB
Only if you add "for that front 9 on Sunday" :D

For a lot of the year this has been true, however at The Masters at the end of the weekend he really was just 3-4 missed putts all weekend away from running away with the lead on Sunday.

But it was recognised. If LD won, he'd still have jumped 2 places and leapfrogged Westwood (no mean feat for a man of his stature). So the ranking points were quite clearly loaded in the favour of the US event.

I think the amount of new winners on the PGA this year might be clouding some people's judgement when they're saying the US isn't keeping up. The Euros seem to be standing out for one reason or another, but there have been some solid wins by inexperienced US players this season. That's got to be good for the future of the tour and the entertainment level!

They are weighted. However, there's a silly calculation in the process that if the player is paid an upfront fee for the event the points are DOUBLED. So, Lee got double the points he should have this weekend.

I would argue if there's an upfront fee the points should be halved but they certainly shouldn't be doubled - that's just flat out mind-boggling.

For a lot of the year this has been true, however at The Masters at the end of the weekend he really was just 3-4 missed putts all weekend away from running away with the lead on Sunday.

Westwood or Woods? :D

They are weighted. However, there's a silly calculation in the process that if the player is paid an upfront fee for the event the points are DOUBLED. So, Lee got double the points he should have this weekend.

I would argue if there's an upfront fee the points should be halved but they certainly shouldn't be doubled - that's just flat out mind-boggling.

I wasn't aware of this rule at all. That does sound a little bit off.

I wasn't aware of this rule at all. That does sound a little bit off.

Yeah, me either. Saw a discussion on golf channel last night and one of their regular "experts" was explaining it and saying how ridiculous it is.

What is this? I was surprised a win on the Asian gave enough points to put LW in 1st again. Is there a link to this or a further explanation?

Yeah so Lee got paid twice for this joke of a tournament, once for just showing up and the again for beating a bunch of nobodies! And the got DOUBLE POINTS......holy crap I'm surprised Tiger isn't playing an Asian Tour event this week!

I love how much it irritates people that Lee Westwood is the #1 golfer in the world.

I love how much it irritates people that Lee Westwood is the #1 golfer in the world.

TC, I dont think its Toothy though. Its the system sure, but I dont think its moob mcbuttertooth.

TC, I dont think its Toothy though. Its the system sure, but I dont think its moob mcbuttertooth.

Clearly, lol

Its completely the system that bugs me, to be honest I have no idea who the number 1 golfer in the world is right now, you could even argue that there isn't one. You could probably pick the top 10 golfers in the world right now, then put there names in a hat and pull names in order and it would be closer to the truth.

Exactly, the system is seriously flawed. I see this being about on the same level as our US tour players going down and playing NW Tour events and earning WR points for it.

Well if Kaymer, McIlroy, Mickleson or Woods did the same thing I'd think the same thing. It just happens to be Westwood benefiting from the system right now. Smart play.

No one seems to have a problem with Ryo's current world ranking and he predominantly plays on the Asian Tour. Is it b/c he's not #1?

Unfortunately it's the system in place. I'd like it to take into account more recent tournaments and weigh them more heavily than equally over the past two years.

Is there any chatter on changing it?

No one seems to have a problem with Ryo's current world ranking and he predominantly plays on the Asian Tour. Is it b/c he's not #1?

Do they give him double points? If they do I'd have a problem with it.

I think the #1 designation definatley makes the difference because when you reach #1 you get recognition for being the best/most consistant golfer in the world at the time. Which I dont think is something you can say about toothy.

Back