Would you get work done on your clubs at Dick's Sporting Goods??

Weezel

- Formerly @HighLevelHacker -
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
All I'm looking to get done is switching out the adjustable adapter from one shaft to another, both a driver shaft and a fairway wood shaft. I have a well-known golf store nearby but still about a 30 minute drive or so. And I have a Dick's Sporting Goods about 10 minutes away from the house and it's on the way home from work too which makes it very convenient... I was thinking about just taking them up to Dick's since it's a lot closer and easier to get to. But not so sure if they're trustworthy when it comes to their club service/repair... Have you had anything done at Dick's Sporting Goods when it comes to something like this? How was the quality and turnaround time?

Short answer. No.
If I want clubwork done I am doing it myself, or a shop I trust.

Grips would be fine yea, anything else, not a chance in hell

The fact that they hired @JDax and allowed him to work on clubs should answer your question. 🤣

Depends on the employee doing the work. If it's the guy who puts together the fitness equipment and bikes, nope.

All I'm looking to get done is switching out the adjustable adapter from one shaft to another, both a driver shaft and a fairway wood shaft. I have a well-known golf store nearby but still about a 30 minute drive or so. And I have a Dick's Sporting Goods about 10 minutes away from the house and it's on the way home from work too which makes it very convenient... I was thinking about just taking them up to Dick's since it's a lot closer and easier to get to. But not so sure if they're trustworthy when it comes to their club service/repair... Have you had anything done at Dick's Sporting Goods when it comes to something like this? How was the quality and turnaround time?
To be honest, it depends on who would be doing the work. I don’t think every DIck’s has people experienced in club repair.

I wouldn’t trust the nearest DSG to lace basketball shoes, let alone work on my clubs. I’ll caveat with location dependent but most likely I’d go to a golf shop.

Negative Ghostrider

I have no experience with Dicks doing work on my clubs so would probably opt out and head to a place I know better and has done previous work for me.

Years ago when they had dedicated golf reps, yes. Nowadays, oh hell no.

I am only imagining the head of my driver flying off the first time back out after I get it back. Lol!

Not anymore, I had a grip changed a couple years ago and it was done poorly.
I have a TGW about 15 min away and a PGASS about 35. Both have competent club makers.

My local guy is a PGA pro and fitter. He does good work. I won’t let the others do it but I will him. He’s done several for me. They let me regrip my own at this point. I just need to get the adapter for an air compressor.

I took a flyer having some clubs regripped at the DSG here. They did a solid job.

I don’t think we have anyone with capabilities beyond that but, even if we had someone who could do it, I wouldn’t trust them pulling the adapter. Putting one on a shaft might be a different story.

Probably not. The folks who work at our local Dicks, are just sales people. If there's not a bar code to scan, they seem to be lost.

I once asked an employee a golf club question about the flex of a certain club. He referred me to Golf Galaxy up the street.

There's one guy at my local store that I would trust to do simple things. But the same store lost my 6 iron when they were only in charge of shipping it.

Not my local Dick'sl

No… and I used to do the work.

Grips yes… I became a really good gripper there, cutting shafts (also yes). Everything else no.

If I knew it was going to be a specific person yes, but made the mistake last year and will not happen again. It was given to a new guy who was learning. Big mistake. Won’t go back.

I would not. But we are fortunate to have a local Roger Dunn store. I trust those guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. If I can't do it myself I'd take it to Club Champion. The guys there know what they are doing!

Probably not as I have too many places close by that are reputable shops, that and i do my own club work...

Depends on the employee doing the work. If it's the guy who puts together the fitness equipment and bikes, nope.
Don’t you put bikes together?

Back