Would you have reported him?

Would you call the police if you saw someone stealing a car? Would you scold a child for stealing candy? From big to small stealing is stealing.
Imagine if all those that thought it was ok to steal the course resources played consecutively… you would want to do more than report them.

I hope we're not equating playing a few extra holes on a golf course with stealing a car or commiting a crime! If that's the case our jails will be full of golfers and our police force would have to be issued golf carts with flashing lights and sirens to capture the golf course felons! I mean there has to be a little perspective here!

On second thought, maybe that would be a good thing - it would clear up the courses for the rest of us honest golfers! LOL

I would have made mention of it casually to the pro shop or marshall that I noticed a person played out of cue and cut players off, but not gone straight to assume they were stealing. Sorry but my life has led me to not assume the worst in people.

Since our course is very popular with seniors and tourism guests we get boogered up with backlog constantly and that means the regulars often play a creative 18. I also know we have on occasion started on the back 9 and then jumped to one of the other courses. And before we were members we often would think we would play 9 but felt good enough to continue walking and do more. So we would continue on and then pay afterwards. Some evenings the proshop would be closed by the time we finished so I would drop by on the way to work the next morning and pay the extra fees then. Never once did anyone ever approach me and accuse me of stealing, nor did the manager or pro shop kids ever come to confront me on what we were doing.

maluhia!

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. There have been a couple times, while playing by myself, that I skipped a few holes because a threesome or foursome wouldn't let me play through. I would come back to play those missed holes when the course geography and pace of play allowed. I would never jump directly in front of another group though.

Mentioning it to the clubhouse was appropriate, but don't condemn until you know the other side of the story. Let them hash it out.
He was in front of us the whole round. We even talked to him on the first par 5 because my buddy hit the shot of his life, a 240 yd 3 wood, and hit the green while they were still on it. We apologized when we got to the green.

I'd like to think I would have reported him but I may have just been too lazy to actually do it. :dohanim: Kudos to the OP for doing it, though. :clapp:

To me it's a completely different thing play two balls than blatantly jumping in front of other groups and playing another 9. At my home course 11-17 are across the street from the rest of the course and hidden from view of the club house, I've seen a lot of people play that loop of holes over and over again, cutting in front of several groups. Anytime I see it, I report it.

My course is semi- private, I'm a member and get unlimited golf for my dues so playing two balls is not an issue for me, you would never see other members playing the loop in the back like that either.

You did the right thing.

I agree. Playing two balls off the tee is completely different than playing holes you did not pay for. As a course employee, one is acceptable and the other will get you shown the door.

If I pay for 9 or 18, that is what I play respectively. That being said, I play more than 18 if I pay twilight and finish before it's dark. In that case I'll often go back and play either the front or back 9 again if there isn't any traffic. Of course in that regard I don't feel bad since I paid to play twilight and it isn't yet too dark to keep playing.

If I pay for 9 or 18, that is what I play respectively. That being said, I play more than 18 if I pay twilight and finish before it's dark. In that case I'll often go back and play either the front or back 9 again if there isn't any traffic. Of course in that regard I don't feel bad since I paid to play twilight and it isn't yet too dark to keep playing.

Not sure what that means I guess. At our course you either pay to play 9 or 18, with or without a cart. We have a twilight rate for the evenings right now, and although it is cheaper rate then the normal rate, it is still for either 9 or 18 holes.

A wise man once said to me "Spend 50% of your time attending to your business and 50% of your time keeping your nose out of other people's business. If you do that you'll be successful in what ever you do."

Just saying.

Not sure what that means I guess. At our course you either pay to play 9 or 18, with or without a cart. We have a twilight rate for the evenings right now, and although it is cheaper rate then the normal rate, it is still for either 9 or 18 holes.

At a lot of the public courses around here after a certain time, usually 4 or 5pm, you can either play 9 or twilight which kinda implies playing until it's too dark to continue.

I do agree with thinking it's stealing if you pd for 18 that's what you should play. If I played 18 and wanted to play 9 more I would pay for it. Usually they will give you a deal. But on the flip side I am not the golf police, I would not have reported it.

A wise man once said to me "Spend 50% of your time attending to your business and 50% of your time keeping your nose out of other people's business. If you do that you'll be successful in what ever you do."

Just saying.

May be true, but if they were stealing from you, I'm guessing you would feel otherwise. I think it is great that some take it upon themselves to protect the clubs. Just sayin

Too much no harm no foul I think. Too much of that everywhere. I must be getting old.

Too much no harm no foul I think. Too much of that everywhere. I must be getting old.

I KNOW I'm getting too old. It is as Kelly Bo said, theft of services. And it does clog up the course.

It is absolutely stealing. You are taking money from the course, I think you did the right thing

Interesting topic with a lot of interesting replies. A few topics came up so I'll respond with my two cents.

1. I wouldn't have turned him in unless he interrupted someone else on the course. But, I don't see anything wrong with turning him in. What he did is against the rules and it's not fair for one person to do it when others cannot/don't.

2. I don't find dropping another golf ball anything bad. Now, I wouldn't hit a second ball if there was a group behind me waiting. But, if I'm playing solo or my group is solo and I hit some bad shot into la-la-land, if I'm in the mood I'll drop another ball. I don't see anything wrong with that, especially if there's no one waiting for you. If there is then take your drop and move on.

3. A few days ago I was playing late afternoon alone and ended up getting stuck behind a very slow group of three. Behind them was a solo guy in a cart, then me, then another solo guy in a cart. At the 4th hole we were all waiting for the group of three. While standing there I looked over and the 6th hole was empty. So, I told the guy behind me I was skipping hole 4 and 5 and going to hole 6. I didn't go back and play hole 4 or 5, I just played 6-9 and went home.

It does suck when someone tries to get more than what they paid for on the golf course. My theory is this: If you can't afford to pay for what you play then you shouldn't be playing golf. Golf is an expensive sport, so don't get into it unless you can afford it. And, whatever you do respect others on the course. Unless you own the grass you're walking on, respect others who also paid their money and who's time is important.

I would have mentioned it to someone at the clubhouse.
They can then chose to do something about it or not.
As far as I'm concerned....he was stealing....as long as the 18th hole wasn't really his 9th.

If the course isn't busy we'll often go play a few extra holes. The other day we were totally backed up and no one behind us so we replayed 3 and 4 instead of waiting at 5. Caught back up to everyone by 6. I don't even come close to considering that stealing. Sometimes after 18 we'll tee off at 1 again and play a few more. Stealing? Whatever. Common sense says it's not stealing. Is it stealing when you're at the range, hit your bucket but are still wanting to hit a few and grab a few balls that are a few feet passes the roped that someone flubbed? No. Come on. There's a lot better things to spend your time on in life then reporting some guy that dropped a ball on 10 after 18.

I wouldn't have reported it. For all you know the guy wasn't going to play all 9 again, just wanted to hit a few extra balls.

A local public course near me has a twilight rate that is pay $20 for all the golf you want with or without a cart. So while you may say you want to play 18 you could play more if light permits.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.330255,-77.025958
- iOS using Tapatalk

A local public course near me has a twilight rate that is pay $20 for all the golf you want with or without a cart. So while you may say you want to play 18 you could play more if light permits.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=39.330255,-77.025958
- iOS using Tapatalk
Ours is called Super Twilight, and right now it starts at 6 PM for as much as you can play. Our twilight starts at 5PM and it's for 18 holes.

Ours is called Super Twilight, and right now it starts at 6 PM for as much as you can play. Our twilight starts at 5PM and it's for 18 holes.

Oh ok. The course I play is 4:30 all you can play $20. Great deal!

iOS using Tapatalk

Because I wouldn't have know the entire story, I don't know if I would have said anything. If I did say something, it would have been something like, "Did you know there is a guy who jump from 18 to play 10 again?"

I would definitely have said something to staff. At least just to let them know. Never know if they've paid for more, are in with staff and were told to go ahead and do that, or any other possible thing, but at least then you've let staff know and they can do as they want to.

I would have left it alone.

That's not stealing, that's called being a golfer.

Years ago before the reservation system was instituted at Bethpage, the starters only worked until about noon.
It was common practice to finish 18 in the morning, walk over to one of the other courses (there are five) and if no one was on the first tee, we'd just stick a peg in the ground and off we'd go.

At another course, one time I finished 18 and walked over to the 10th and was about to tee it up when the head pro and a few of his buddies rolled up ready to play the back nine.
I looked at him and he at me and he said, "Go ahead, we don't want to hold you up".

I thanked him, teed off and played the back nine.

I've been doing stuff like that for as long as I can remember and everyone I've ever played with has as well.

I would never rat somebody out for that.

of course you wouldn't rat on them for doing it when you do it yourself:D

personally i probably wouldn't of bothered about it but to be fair running golf courses isn't cheap and they need to make as much money as they can.if every visitor was to do this then just think how much money they would be losing out on.

I think it's lame you reported him. Maybe he just wanted to play those two holes again because he screwed them up the first time. Or maybe he just wanted to sneak in a few extra holes. As long as he wasn't slowing down play or cutting someone off, the golf course isn't really losing money, as it's not like he was going to pay again for replay - he just wanted to play a few extra holes.

This reminds me a lot of the argument software and media companies make regarding people downloading their software, music and movies online. Many of these people aren't going to pay in the first place, so it isn't a loss of revenue if they aren't willing to pay. And for another subset of them, they do end up paying later (downloading is just to determine if they want to buy), so it actually makes them a better customer.

Maybe this guy you reported is a regular player at this course and gives the course all his business because he can occasionally sneak in a few extra holes when he's done. If he weren't able to do this he would go somewhere else. So maybe you actually made the course loose his business by reporting him.

Next time you might be better off minding your own business if it doesn't directly affect you.

I think it's lame you reported him. Maybe he just wanted to play those two holes again because he screwed them up the first time. Or maybe he just wanted to sneak in a few extra holes. As long as he wasn't slowing down play or cutting someone off, the golf course isn't really losing money, as it's not like he was going to pay again for replay - he just wanted to play a few extra holes.

This reminds me a lot of the argument software and media companies make regarding people downloading their software, music and movies online. Many of these people aren't going to pay in the first place, so it isn't a loss of revenue if they aren't willing to pay. And for another subset of them, they do end up paying later (downloading is just to determine if they want to buy), so it actually makes them a better customer.

Maybe this guy you reported is a regular player at this course and gives the course all his business because he can occasionally sneak in a few extra holes when he's done. If he weren't able to do this he would go somewhere else. So maybe you actually made the course loose his business by reporting him.

Next time you might be better off minding your own business if it doesn't directly affect you.
What he did is the same as leaving one movie and sneaking into another. I reported him the same way I would report a shoplifter or a house burglar. If he had some deal with the course, that's between him and the course. If I'm a business owner, I don't care how much business you bring me. If you steal from, you're done. As far as your media argument, what's the difference between stealing a CD from store and illegally downloading it online? To me, none, they are both stealing.

Back