Would you Visit a Sports Psychologist?

I believe id consider it if it was available to me. Being ive never done it I cant say I wouldnt.. it would all depend on availability and pricing as others have said

Probably not. As an amateur golfer I just don't see the value in it.

I don't make money out of the game and as such can't see the point in seeing a shrink?

Reading Rotella books is good enough for me. I just don't see the value if I'm not playing golf for a living.

No, but I do talk to one of my Chaplains who offers some tips and conversation about the right mindset and disposition for golf and sports in general that's been pretty helpful.

yea, but it doesn't have to be as drastic a measure as one may think.
If one can pay for lessons to help their game then why not pay for help with the mental side if (for that person) it could prove to be jut as beneficial? I know it may not be the norm for the masses and may seem a bit over the top but it also doesn't have to make it any less fun or relaxing or any more or less serious or important than it would be if they were to spend that time and money on lessons. It may seem so to us but to someone else it might be viewed in the same light as nothing more or less than taking lessons.

I don't see any way that such therapy would help me. I don't have any issues with the mental side of the game. I don't "cave" under pressure, at least such pressure as I face as an amateur playing men's club tournaments. I don't lose $100,000 for a missed stroke. I have good days and bad days, but the bad days have very little to do with what's happening in my head - it's all about my swing. My swing can go south whether I've had a recent lesson or not. There is really no relationship. I don't dwell on bad shots to the point where they affect play farther along in the game.

When I'm having a particularly good round, I do feel pressure build as the round progresses, but that is just normal. I wouldn't be human if I didn't. I don't need a psychologist to tell me that I need to calm down and just play my game. I take a couple of breaths before a shot and just play golf.

It's just a game, and any pressure is imaginary. A club amateur who needs psychological help is taking the game way too seriously.

Negative, ghostrider. I just don't see the benefit for an amateur to shell out the money for a mental coach that would probably be better spent on lessons.

I see what you are saying Nate.. just being devils advocate here, Suppose for a minute one session with the sports psychologist could shave 2 strokes off your HC, and the session was say the same amount as 2 lessons? The way I look at it is 2 strokes is 2 strokes. USGA doesn't care how you lowered it ( minus cheating of course ). I guess some of it is how far along your game is as well - if you are a 30 HC you obviously need a lot of swing help before mental coaching is going to probably be worthwhile.

Interesting subject!

Negative, ghostrider. I just don't see the benefit for an amateur to shell out the money for a mental coach that would probably be better spent on lessons.

I think that's up to the individual to decide though, even though we're amateurs some of us want to be the best golfing amateurs we can be. There's absolutely nothing wrong with anyone wanting to be the best they can be at whatever they aspire to do and if outside help is a positive avenue and they embrace it, they should go after their dreams.

I think that's up to the individual to decide though, even though we're amateurs some of us want to be the best golfing amateurs we can be. There's absolutely nothing wrong with anyone wanting to be the best they can be at whatever they aspire to do and if outside help is a positive avenue and they embrace it, they should go after their dreams.

I made a bit of a generalization, yes, but I suppose I'm talking about the average amateur hacker like me benefiting from using that kind of money on lessons, rather than a low index amateur trying to take that next step.

I made a bit of a generalization, yes, but I suppose I'm talking about the average amateur hacker like me benefiting from using that kind of money on lessons, rather than a low index amateur trying to take that next step.

I know dude, wasn't busting stones buddy sorry if it came across that way. Do you think that maybe mediocrity is too rampant in golf and life though and maybe if people applied themselves a bit more many things could be better, not just golf?

I know dude, wasn't busting stones buddy sorry if it came across that way. Do you think that maybe mediocrity is too rampant in golf and life though and maybe if people applied themselves a bit more many things could be better, not just golf?

No didn't come across that way at all, dude! And amen to this...definitely think that this is the case.

How many of you would change your answer from "no" to "yes" if you were a professional either on the tour or trying to make it on the tour?

I'd be open to it. Mostly to get over the tendency of playing 'what will they think' so I can just play golf. I've had a lot of pressure to get better (self inflicted) over the last four years and there are times that it becomes an issue.

Can you run for public office so I can vote for you? This staement is so true.

Tapping away on my Galaxy 2 Note

Back