Wyndham Clark - Rules Violation?

This wasn't a penalty. He may have put the club behind the ball & it moved, but it moved back into it's original position. Hence, no penalty
See the 1st video in the OP. The ball definitely is not in the original position.

I agree. When I played in junior events, I was always so careful not to place the club behind the ball to cause accidental movement. I would hover the club when I thought placing the club behind the ball would cause it to move.
Im careful not to do this in a 25 dollar skins game let alone in a pga event on camera. I think these tour guys are a little too comfy right now, hearing about a smaller more global pga tour in all

Im careful not to do this in a 25 dollar skins game let alone in a pga event on camera. I think these tour guys are a little too comfy right now, hearing about a smaller more global pga tour in all
I still don't understand how he was not penalized for doing that. I can only assume just about everyone does that on tour because no one is upset about it.

I did not listen to the commentary but if Clark is seeing how close he can get to the ball without moving it, I think he found the intent loophole.

I hate Chamblee, but I think he was right.

A excellent observation. No one actually involved that is.
do you think it's hard for them to care at this point? considering how up in the air pro golfs future is. Feels like the top tour guys are just waiting for a global tour announcement with limited fields and more prize money given rorys, wyndhams, etc recent comments

I bet we see a lot more players tamping down the grass behind balls in the rough now, can't penalize them now with this ruling.

do you think it's hard for them to care at this point? considering how up in the air pro golfs future is. Feels like the top tour guys are just waiting for a global tour announcement with limited fields and more prize money given rorys, wyndhams, etc recent comments
More so that there are rules that the players, officials, and organizers aren’t terribly concerned about, and I’m with them to be honest.

How rules are enforced is just as important as "the spirit of the rules" and the letter of the law.

There are times and places where it is impossible to drive exactly at the speed limit without impeding traffic.
Do that in the proper lane and folks will be switching lanes to get around you!

I think everyone wants to see players make difficult shots as it makes for good highlight reel material.

The players could learn to hit the ball without placing the club anywhere near the ball when it is in the rough, but why should they have to do that?

How rules are enforced is just as important as "the spirit of the rules" and the letter of the law.

There are times and places where it is impossible to drive exactly at the speed limit without impeding traffic.
Do that in the proper lane and folks will be switching lanes to get around you!

I think everyone wants to see players make difficult shots as it makes for good highlight reel material.

The players could learn to hit the ball without placing the club anywhere near the ball when it is in the rough, but why should they have to do that?

Agreed - the rough isn't a hazard. I should be able to reasonably ground my club without worrying that I'm about to incur a penalty. Depending on the rough, you can ground your club like 6 inches away and the ball will slightly move until you take your club away.

And I'm not defending what Clark did here either though, as that's pushing it to the extreme. In his situation, I'd definitely be more careful not to jostle the ball out of position. He got right behind the ball and really dug in there. It really looked like he was trying to improve his lie a bit.

Agreed - the rough isn't a hazard. I should be able to reasonably ground my club without worrying that I'm about to incur a penalty. Depending on the rough, you can ground your club like 6 inches away and the ball will slightly move until you take your club away.

And I'm not defending what Clark did here either though, as that's pushing it to the extreme. In his situation, I'd definitely be more careful not to jostle the ball out of position. He got right behind the ball and really dug in there. It really looked like he was trying to improve his lie a bit.
And we can. But we can't improve our lie or move the ball. If those two things make a player worry about incurring a penalty they shouldn't ground the club at that exact spot.

Yeah I think that should have been a penalty.

isn't that a collective understanding by golfers, that when your ball is floating, you should use caution when addressing it?

Had he hovered his club and the ball moved, I'd agree. The fact that he mashed the club into the ground numerous times would suggest he had alternative intentions.

isn't that a collective understanding by golfers, that when your ball is floating, you should use caution when addressing it?

Had he hovered his club and the ball moved, I'd agree. The fact that he mashed the club into the ground numerous times would suggest he had alternative intentions.

Yeah, you got me there. When the ball is fluffed up in the rough, or sitting in certain kinds of rough, you have to be cautious where you ground your club.

I cringed so hard watching Clark jam his club into the rough behind the ball with the camera all zoomed in like that. I figured it was going to cause some controversy, and sure enough even the commentators brought it up right as they cut away from the close up.

This thread reminds me of the New England Patriot snow plow game. Prolly only a matter of time before somebody whips out a weed eater and mows some stuff down, making it just a tad easier. Lawn mower is way to big of ask of the caddie:ROFLMAO:

Back