Yes! Sandy-12 review

Drumdog

Drummin' for golf
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 7.1
I got a new putter to try out. It's a Yes! Sandy-12.

The Sandy-12 is a face balanced, high MOI, mallet style putter with the C-Groove technology. I've always been a fan of the mallet style putters, so I was pretty excited to give this little beauty a try.
The putter was fit to me with a 35" length, standard loft and 1 degree flat lie. I had never tried a Super Stroke grip so I had the Fatso 5.0 model installed on it.

Looking down at address, the Sandy-12 sets up nicely behind the ball. The white head with the black alignment lines really frame the ball well.
The rearward extending "fins" seemed to aid in both alignment and keeping the stroke straight on the intended line. At address, I feel pretty confident that the putter is aligned to my aim point.

At 351 grams, the Sandy-12 is a bit lighter than my current gamer at 360 grams. 9 grams doesn't sound like a lot of difference, but I could really feel it.
That weight difference mostly affected the longer putts for me. At first, I was having a hard time getting the ball to the hole on putts over 6-8 feet.
The larger grip may have had something to do with that as well.

By the end of the first round, I was getting the ball closer to the right speed on the longer putts and was always on a pretty good line.
Downhill and shorter putts with the Sandy-12 were a dream and I didn't feel like I was going to blow the ball by the hole. I can really see how this putter would be great on speedy greens like the Tour players encounter.
I liked the feel of the ball and the soft click sound coming off the polymer insert. The C-Grooves in the face seemed to get the ball on a forward roll quite nicely, which helped the ball to get on and stay on the intended line very quickly. The putter cover that came with it is b@d@ss too !

Having used this putter for a few rounds now, I am getting very comfortable with the weight and the visual difference from my current gamer (Ghost Spider).
I am not sure I am sold on the Fatso grip and am considering swapping it out with a smaller grip like what is on my gamer for further trials.

The Sandy-12 has several wins on the PGA and Senior Tour under it's belt and after playing a few rounds with this putter, I can see why.
I am impressed with the Sandy-12 overall and would recommend it to anyone looking for a mid-weight, mallet style putter.

When the ball goes in the hole. . . just say . . . Yes!

photo1_zps7610a7f7.jpg
photo2_zps41cf60d6.jpg
photo4_zpsc6fa276d.jpg

photo3_zps61fae1a6.jpg
photo5_zps427419b2.jpg
photo6_zps4475cabe.jpg

Great writeup Drumdog. I am really liking the looks of that putter. I have never rolled a Yes! outside of a golf shop or trying it here or there, but this one is one I could see myself gaming.

Nice writeup Drumdog! I have tried this putter in stores before and I really liked the way it frames the ball as well. Feels good thru the stroke and felt nice of the face as well. Good luck with it and I hope it treats you well.

Nice write up Drundog. I considered the Sandy when I bought my Callie last year. Just love the roll these put on the ball. I rally like the feel too, the insert is one of the best I have felt. Really lets you know where you hit the ball on the face.

I will be interested to here how the grip change affects your game and feel.

Last edited:
I have the same setup but in 33". I truley like this putter. The roll, sound the setup.
I'll try & get pics up of mine tonight after my round.
Tedfroof.. I've been using S.S. for awhile & I pulled the stock & replaced it as soon as I got the putter so can't tell ya difference between stock & S.S. but suffice it to say it complements the putter

tappin from my big as note2

Nice review. I really, really like the feel of the ball off that C Groove face. It appears I'm not alone, either! For me the Yes Callie 12 I tried rolled comparably to much more expensive flat sticks.

Nice review. I really, really like the feel of the ball off that C Groove face. It appears I'm not alone, either! For me the Yes Callie 12 I tried rolled comparably to much more expensive flat sticks.

I like that there is a lot of good feel to tell you where you made contact but not much variation in direction or distance when you do miss the center.

I like that there is a lot of good feel to tell you where you made contact but not much variation in direction or distance when you do miss the center.

And I see you're rolling the exact putter I'm looking to pick up. Do you remember how much it set you back?

About 170, Canadian. Just remember once it comes across the border (forgetting that we have free trade) you can charge whatever you want for stuff.

Anyway - I see them on Amazon for around 120. A bit of looking around you can likely find it for less.

And I see you're rolling the exact putter I'm looking to pick up. Do you remember how much it set you back?

I got mine new on eBay for $80

I've been using the Sandy-12 quite a bit over the last few weeks and it is really growing on me.
I will get a more detailed follow-up posting together in a couple of days.

I took the Yes! Sandy-12 out for a couple more rounds this last weekend. The Sandy performed well even though the greens had slowed quite a bit.
The cooler weather and damp, hairy greens really put the Sandy and my stroke to a test. I can say that the Sandy did not disappoint and my stroke wasn't too bad either.

I keep going back to the fact that the Sandy really frames the ball well and creates a lot of confidence in my alignment.
Even if I didn't give the ball enough uumph to get it all the way to the hole, it was usually on a very good line.
The insert and the C-Grooves in the face get the ball rolling very well, without a lot of skid.

The sound of the ball coming off the face has very solid click. The sound of a putter is more important to me than some players, so I had to mention it again.

All in all, this is a very good putter. It's appealing to the eye, it builds confidence in the alignment, the sound is great and it's a true weapon on fast greens.

Sunday I rolled mine pretty well on some linoleum speed greens.

Now to get rid of the chip yips

Last week I picked up my Yes! Sandy -12 mid putter. Its the same shape as the one you got drumdog, but has a 400g head, and came at 43" in length. I cut about 6" off of the end of it to make it 37" and then put 100g of weight in the butt end to counterbalance it. The thought process was the same that Odyssey and Taylormade had with their Tank and Daddy Long Legs putters, more weight at the head and butt end creates more stability and a higher MOI. So far its worked out great, I'll make another post when I get a few more rounds under my belt with it.

I just bought the original Sandy and I absolutely love that thing. I had 25 putts with it my second time out with it. I just feel confidant with it when I stand over the ball!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a few chances to test out my Yes! Sandy -12 mid project putter. Turns out the 100g weight I put in the butt-end was a bit too much, it just made the club feel too heavy IMO and caused me to come up short on nearly every putt. I went back to the lab and reduced the weight to 40g in the butt end and it turned out perfect. My weight was much more consistent and the feel of it is simply amazing. It may even replace my Yes! natalie that's been in the bag for nearly 8 years now. Looking forward to more one putts in 2014!

If that thing had a soft insert face....I'd want to give it a roll for sure. Just looks like it'd be fun to game.

If that thing had a soft insert face....I'd want to give it a roll for sure. Just looks like it'd be fun to game.

The c groove face is better than any insert, it feels like putting with a marshmallow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The c groove face is better than any insert, it feels like putting with a marshmallow

Really? Everytime I try those faces, they feel like it pings right off the face....I love the Marshmallow feel.

Really? Everytime I try those faces, they feel like it pings right off the face....I love the Marshmallow feel.

I think it feels perfect and soft, but to each his own

A 400 gram Sandy should be on my doorstep on Monday.
I'm really looking forward to trying the heavier head. I also had a smaller Super Stroke grip put on this one, so this will be a very interesting test.
Snow is rolling in this week, so I may not get to use it on the course till my trip to Hawaii in 2 weeks.

A 400 gram Sandy should be on my doorstep on Monday.
I'm really looking forward to trying the heavier head. I also had a smaller Super Stroke grip put on this one, so this will be a very interesting test.
Snow is rolling in this week, so I may not get to use it on the course till my trip to Hawaii in 2 weeks.

The combo of the heavy head on the Sandy and the C-grooves is a deadly combo!

Just bought a new Yes! Bella-12. Hasn't been delivered yet. When it does I will have to take it out and see what all the fuss is about the C-Groove, before I retire it to my putter rack.

$(KGrHqR,!qYFJ0VdG!i2BSeoNU,nf!~~60_57.JPG

Back