Cobra Bio Cell and Bio Cell+ Fairway Wood Preview

Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
The full frontpage preview can be found here: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/?p=21337

Today marks the official reveal by Cobra Golf of their new Bio Cell lineup. However, the name itself in this case was not simply to have something catchy to call their clubs, but it legitimately has a two part meaning for Cobra:

• First “Bio” - this stands for a personal and almost DNA like choice. Essentially it is personalization to make the club truly your own. In addition to the various color choices all the way through the lineup that Cobra has come to be known for, there is word that there will possibly be even more personalization opportunities coming down the line for the driver portion of the lineup.
  • Second, “Cell” - this represents structural optimization for Cobra. This is a move of bio mimicry. Essentially taking what nature itself does structurally (think honey-combs or spider webs) in order to go lighter while not sacrificing structural strength and integrity. From a performance standpoint, the ability to take weight and redistribute it introduces incredible opportunities for improving performance all the way through the line. This premise is actually visible through the line in the crowns of the woods and the perimeter weighting of the irons.

General information and in hand pictures of the Bio Cell and Bio Cell+ fairway wood lines are below:

Cobra Bio Cell Fairway:

• 3-4 Wood w/ MyFly8 Technology
    • 13 to 16 degrees
  • 5-7 Wood w/ MyFly8 Technology
    • 17 to 20 degrees
  • Shaft Selection
    • Project x PXv – Proprietary Shaft
  • Performance Traits
    • High strength steel inserts in face – driver like ball speeds with more face flex while maintaining ability to launch off the deck
    • Weight repositioned from crown and face with Bio Cells has lead to lower CG, higher MOI, and a larger sweet spot
    • Higher launch and lower spin than the Amp Cell
  • Available in Black, Blue, Red, Orange, Silver

i-8TmK3ND-L.jpg

i-zxKbmNV-L.jpg

i-tzkpd4R-L.jpg

Cobra Bio Cell+ Fairway:

• 3-4 Wood w/ MyFly8 Technology
    • 12 to 15 degrees
  • 5-7 Wood w/ MyFly8 Technology
    • 16 to 19 degrees
  • Shaft Selection
    • Matrix Red-Tie 6Q3 – Real-Deal Shaft
  • Performance Traits
    • Designed in coordination with Rickie Fowler
    • Much more compact and traditional pear shape than Bio Cell
    • High strength steel inserts in face – driver like ball speeds with more face flex
    • Weight repositioned from crown and face with Bio Cells has lead to lower CG, higher MOI, and a larger sweet spot
    • Lower launching and lower spinning design
  • Available in Black, Blue, Red, Orange, Silver

i-dzn64j4-L.jpg

i-NzxjtSg-L.jpg

i-CdGzNgR-L.jpg

i-jWw8tDZ-L.jpg

Bio Cell vs Bio Cell+ Fairway Wood - In Hand Comparison:

i-2fx7LtS-L.jpg

i-5z3d4Qg-L.jpg

i-6crHjvL-L.jpg

THIS IS A PRESS RELEASE:
Go Looooong[SUP]TM[/SUP]: COBRA Introduces Tour-Inspired BiO CELL+ Fairways

CARLSBAD, Calif. (Jan. 16, 2013) – Today, COBRA Golf announced the release of its BiO CELL+ Fairways, featuring a tour-inspired compact head design with eight tour-loft/trajectory settings to deliver fine-tuned distance with workability and control.

“In an effort to continually improve upon our top-performing products, we worked in collaboration with some of our Tour players to design the club head on our BiO CELL+ Fairways,” said Jose Miraflor, director of product marketing at COBRA Golf. “The clubs have a great look and feel and are purpose-built to deliver exactly what Tour-level players need.”

The BiO CELL+ Fairways (MAP $249) are available for pre-order now at www.cobragolf.com and will begin shipping Feb. 7. Features include:

· MyFly8™ Technology with SmartPad™ – Golfers can choose from eight simple adjustable loft/trajectory settings to maximize distance, manage trajectory and optimize yardage gaps on any course and any conditions. SmartPad delivers a square face at address with any loft/trajectory setting.
· High Strength Face Insert and E9™ Face Technology – The thin forged high strength steel face inserts on the BiO CELL+ Fairways offer Driver-like construction, enabling greater face flex for faster ball speeds and improved distance. The E9 Face delivers a square face at address with any loft setting.
· Tour-Proven Head Design with a Low Forward CG– A compact, pear-shaped head design—the result of collaborating with COBRA Golf Tour players—delivers a lower center of gravity for greater distance and trajectory control.
· Custom shaft options – The BiO CELL+ Fairway features a Matrix Red-Tie 6Q3 shaft and golfers have the option to order a custom shaft with no upcharge. The custom shaft options are: Diamana D+ White Board 72 shaft and Project x PXv Tour 53gram shaft.

The BiO CELL+ Fairways are available in right-handed 3-4F and 5-7F models and feature a Lamkin – ACE 3GEN 360 grip. They are expected to have a presence in the bags of COBRA PUMA GOLF Tour players including Rickie Fowler, Ian Poulter, Lexi Thompson and Jesper Parnevik throughout the 2014 season.

The BiO CELL+ Fairways join the BiO CELL+ Driver and BiO CELL+ Irons as part of COBRA’s 2014 product offerings. To learn more about the BiO CELL+ series and COBRA’s full suite of products, please visit www.cobragolf.com. To find an authorized COBRA dealer near you, visit http://cobragolf.com/dealer-locator.

Last edited by a moderator:
Was that a real deal matrix white tie or a made for and was that the stock shaft?

Keep Calm and Golf On.

Those are some solid looking fairway woods. At first glance I think I'd more drawn to the Bio Cell but that Bio Cell + doesn't look bad either, I like how they'll have offerings to please just about everyone out there between these 2. Very cool looking fw as we're coming to expect from Cobra.

• Staff
Was that a real deal matrix white tie or a made for and was that the stock shaft?

Keep Calm and Golf On.

As mentioned in the info, it's actually a Matrix Red Tie. It's a real deal shaft with custom paint so as not to clash with the color options of the heads. It is the stock shaft in the Bio Cell+ fairway, the stock in the Bio Cell is a proprietary PXv.

Love those shaft offerings. I don't think anyone can find a beef about these, they are just modern classic fairway bombers.

• Staff
It's funny because last year many complained they couldn't get the "pro" version of the fairway wood. So this year they made both models longer and hotter and brought them both. As the in hand comparison pics show, there is quite a size difference, and the Bio Cell itself is actually smaller than last years Amp Cell from a face depth perspective!

When you were out in Cali did you get a chance to hit these? I currently have a 3/4 Amp Cell and its the first lower lofted FW that I have consistently been able to hit off the deck. Forgiveness is key for me with it so curious as to your thoughts on these if you have had a chance to hit them.

May be a little while before I get my hands on these...

But unless they utterly fail to perform as advertised, I've found my FW wood replacement. Just too pretty, and I really like the design principle. Thanks, Jman, for some great photos!

I really like the looks of these. Cobra did a fantastic job designing these and I am glad they finally put black in the lineup. I am an old school kid of guy and black always catches my eye. And that Red Tie? Yep even better.

When you were out in Cali did you get a chance to hit these? I currently have a 3/4 Amp Cell and its the first lower lofted FW that I have consistently been able to hit off the deck. Forgiveness is key for me with it so curious as to your thoughts on these if you have had a chance to hit them.

We were not able to hit them at that time.

That said, one if their main goals was not only to increase ball speed and forgiveness, but also make it easier to hit off the deck, which is why they have shallowed out the face a little to bring the middle if the face closer to the level of the middle of the ball!

We were not able to hit them at that time.

That said, one if their main goals was not only to increase ball speed and forgiveness, but also make it easier to hit off the deck, which is why they have shallowed out the face a little to bring the middle if the face closer to the level of the middle of the ball!

I'll take 2 please!!! Haha Thanks

Great looking clubs and if they are an improvement to the Amp Cell then they are going to be incredible clubs.

Now these have really caught my interest, Freddie recommended the Red Tie for me at the Orlando outing last May.

I just heard my G25 3w gasp.

God, that black one looks phenomenal. I generally prefer smaller heads with my fairways, so I'm super intrigued by the Cell + and Red Tie combo.

Fantastic looking heads. Definitely gonna give these a try as I'm still searching for the perfect 3w!

Love the looks of the cell+ fairways.
I am surprised, i was a callaway fan for a long time but Cobra is pushing them out of my bag

God, that black one looks phenomenal. I generally prefer smaller heads with my fairways, so I'm super intrigued by the Cell + and Red Tie combo.

Isnt that weird. I am the same way. Something about the smaller head fits my eye better with a FW.

Isnt that weird. I am the same way. Something about the smaller head fits my eye better with a FW.
I could be crazy here, but I almost think they frame the ball better.

Add me to that category as well.

These are astounding in person.

Both look good. Red Tie is a nice offering in there as well in the "pro."

Amazing, they really improved on an already great club. I love the idea of a cell in black 3 wood and a + 5 wood.

The colors on these clubs are amazing. I liked the Amp Cell, but these just pop. The shaft selections are spectacular too.

Oh these look purty. All the Bio Cells look solid, sans the irons, hopefully the +'s will be better. So much club info dropping today!

Both look good. Red Tie is a nice offering in there as well in the "pro."

I love love LOVE that they didn't use the "pro" moniker on the different lines, it implies way too many things IMO.

Back