Overrated Equipment

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
What brand of clubs or equipment do you find overrated in your opinion?

Last edited:
TaylorMade.

I wanted to like them, but I've never hit a club of theirs that I liked.

But that's one of the great things about golf - there is always something to fit everyone's tastes. I know plenty of people who swear by TM clubs.

Any golf ball I've hit out of bounds? Damned things don't work at times.

But seriously, I can't say I've tried all of the brands so at this stage my bias usually has something to do with the look of clubs. No offence, but I think Ping irons look butt ugly.

Last edited:
There's plenty of clubs I can't hit, I'm just not to that skill level.

So far, I've been pretty fortunate in that I haven't run across much that's over rated, but plenty that's over priced. There's no excuse, whatsoever for a silly shirt to cost $75 (or more). Especially since many of the fabric technologies were developed years ago by other sports disciplines. They change the patterns and add a collar. Silly. I still consider clothing to be equipment, so that's my 2 bits worth...

• Admin
You might want to tune out some of our reviews. Some serious high priced stuff in there. :crying:

Last edited:
There's plenty of clubs I can't hit, I'm just not to that skill level.

So far, I've been pretty fortunate in that I haven't run across much that's over rated, but plenty that's over priced. There's no excuse, whatsoever for a silly shirt to cost $75 (or more). Especially since many of the fabric technologies were developed years ago by other sports disciplines. They change the patterns and add a collar. Silly. I still consider clothing to be equipment, so that's my 2 bits worth...

When you say 'silly shirts' I get an immediate mental picture of Woody Austin's shirts. Yuck. Hope the sponsorship money is big.

I'm not saying I wouldn't wear an expensive shirt, but I see $75 as 2 or 3 shirts, not one. (I grew up poor, what can I say?)

I've got a few expensive shirts, that were gifts from vendors (C&B, Callaway, Ashworth, etc). I see no difference in their performance on the golf course versus a shirt that's half or a third of the same price; so why pay the premium?

When you say 'silly shirts' I get an immediate mental picture of Woody Austin's shirts. Yuck. Hope the sponsorship money is big.

Seeing that guy, and how he dresses, immediately makes me feel better about being me. :rotfl:

• Admin
I have a great review for you guys that want top of the line shirts that are fairly inexpensive. We have found a new company that specializes in just that. The review will be out in the next 5-7 days or so. I think you will like what you see. And of course, we will be doing a giveaway as well.

I'm not saying I wouldn't wear an expensive shirt, but I see $75 as 2 or 3 shirts, not one. (I grew up poor, what can I say?)

I've got a few expensive shirts, that were gifts from vendors (C&B, Callaway, Ashworth, etc). I see no difference in their performance on the golf course versus a shirt that's half or a third of the same price; so why pay the premium?

Gummi-

Sounds like you may be a Bubba Golf (<--- clicky-clicky) guy. There's not much information on the website, but last year all shirts, shorts, and pants were $15. (I've heard they went as low as $9.) And some of those shirts were double mercanized.

However, with the bankruptcy filing of Steve & Barry's (exclusive distributor of Bubba Golf), I don't know if that will continue. I've also never actually seen the stuff, although I've read reviews on various golf sites that were uniformly positive.

There's a location near my house.

I'll have to look into it this weekend. Thanks Harry.

Seeing that guy, and how he dresses, immediately makes me feel better about being me. :rotfl:

Nothing against Woody (just his shirts). He looked top notch when he was turned out for the Presidents cup last year (even when he fell in the water). :snicker:

Sometimes the money's just not worth it to look like ...

I agree with JB, Mizuno is over-rated for me.

Drivers: Hate them, MX-560 is junk, and MP-600 is a hook machine for me.
Fairways: Launch the ball to high for me and don't go anywhere
Irons: Something about them doesn't feel good, not as good as Titleist, Ping, Nike, or MacGregor
Wedges: Don't spin at all.
Putters: Again, don't feel as good as other offerings, Cameron, Yes!, Ping.

Taylormade.

They come out with new stuff to quickly upon releasing the previous item, and people seem to think its even better, its the next best thing. It's all the same, its a big money scam.

I don't like their drivers.

I have a great review for you guys that want top of the line shirts that are fairly inexpensive. We have found a new company that specializes in just that. The review will be out in the next 5-7 days or so. I think you will like what you see. And of course, we will be doing a giveaway as well.

Why would anyone not be interested in these shirts? Top of the line and less money = a popular choice I would imagine.

Why would anyone not be interested in these shirts? Top of the line and less money = a popular choice I would imagine.

Damn DD - talk about a 3 year bump! :D

Wow, a response to a three year old post. Is that a record?

I know a ton of people on here that are super inclined to say Titleist. But I have found their offering this year to be a fairly good performer. I think there is better out there, but they are starting to make some equipment that is getting the job done.

I would say ping. I have tried to like their stuff but I cant. Part of it is that it all looks the same

Tap tap taparoo

a quiet resurected thread will get some traffic me thinks,..

for me its Taylor Made. ive had their woods, irons, wedges and putters. and dont get me wrong i liked a lot of them and still have the putter but they are deffinitely over rated.

Nothing? There is stuff I don't like, but it all has value to somebody.

Mizuno irons.

Im going to go ahead and say it.

The R11.

Unforgiving, not long for slower swing speed hitters, and the added technology I really dont see a benefit. It is white, and white works. But JB and I have had a few conversations, with many others, and we both agreed that if this driver wasnt white, it may not have sold near as much.

both agreed that if this driver wasnt white, it would be the biggest flop.

Hang on their buddy. I agree with a lot of what you said. However I dont agree that if it wasnt white it would be a flop. Would they have sold as many? Maybe not, but I still think it would have been a huge release, just as the R9 was.

I do agree about the fact that it is a tough driver for a lot of golfers in my opinion based on what we have seen anyway.

Back