Boccieri Heavy Fairway Wood Testers Thread

Thats awesome your having success with the stinger shot. It is a bit tougher with the 5 wood but still possible, need to work on that shot some more

I have spent a good bit of time on the range hitting this shot. It's been fun trying to learn it, and was great to see it actually benefit me out on the course.

Unfortunately, a lot of people get turned off by the "Heavy" name that goes with these clubs. I really like the idea of "Control Series." I know when I explain this club to people I am playing with, I use the word "balance" much more than I do "heavy." When I let people hit it, and they see how easy it is to hit, I usually get one of two responses, "that wasnt what I was expecting" or "it's not heavy at all."

One thing that has me wondering is, as they keep developing clubs, will they branch out and away from the heavy branding?

Great point there - I did the same thing yesterday with my playing partners while discussing the hybrid. It is definitely not heavy and I was using the term balanced. The weight distribution is better distributed throughout the club in comparison to other hybrids I have tried. Term I keep using is stout....just feels solid and I get a better feel throughout the entire swing; kinda hard to describe.

Tappin' from my iPad!

Great point there - I did the same thing yesterday with my playing partners while discussing the hybrid. It is definitely not heavy and I was using the term balanced. The weight distribution is better distributed throughout the club in comparison to other hybrids I have tried. Term I keep using is stout....just feels solid and I get a better feel throughout the entire swing; kinda hard to describe.

Tappin' from my iPad!

I know exactly what you are talking about. Great term to use to describe it, stout. I like that. I think it was my initial review I said that it had a nice "heft" to it.

I really hope some Heavy Irons will be at demo day, I am dying to hit them. I am holding off on irons until next year after demo day and the Heavy Irons are in the top 3 on my list. The Heavy Wood has been that good for me, I could easly play the 3 wood in place of my 910F if I hit it as good as the 5 wood.

Great updates guys. I've been away for just a couple days and you have really put out a ton of great information.

Great updates guys. I've been away for just a couple days and you have really put out a ton of great information.

Thanks Hawk, your info and Mcooks in the heavy hybrid thread have me pondering one. The next extra bit of cash I have to spend is going toward the heavy hybrid, really want to try it as I think it will be great for me

I love that thing. I didn't hit it so well today, but that's a rarity. If I thought I'd be able to play the Heavy fairway this year I'd grab one right now, but I have some things coming up that will make that tough.

I love that thing. I didn't hit it so well today, but that's a rarity. If I thought I'd be able to play the Heavy fairway this year I'd grab one right now, but I have some things coming up that will make that tough.

Its a little late in the year to be buying golf stuff but I still do it any way lol. By the time its all said and done my bag might have the Heavy Irons, Heavy Hybrid, and of course the Heavy 5 Wood. I didnt think I would play another hybrid or fairway wood that was not adjustable but I have been proven wrong with this testing, I hit that thing so well it really needs no adjusting and I can only imagine the other Heavy Clubs will be the same

The irons are money too. I want to hit them again.

Thanks Hawk, your info and Mcooks in the heavy hybrid thread have me pondering one. The next extra bit of cash I have to spend is going toward the heavy hybrid, really want to try it as I think it will be great for me

That makes two of us. I'm totally intrigued by the Boccieri Golf Hybrids and the new Adams with the velocity slots.

Just bumping this back up, No golf for me today as its pouring outside.

Just out of curiosity...I know that the Boccieri has become a permanent fixture in my bag for the time being. For a while, I kept both my superfast 3W and the Boccieri 3W in, and would go back and forth between the two hitting shots. Now, the Superfast is in the extra bag in my golf room, and the Boccieri has taken it's place.

I wasnt sure if I was on an "honeymoon" phase with the Heavy Wood or not, but for me, the results are there, and dont see this leaving my bag any time soon.

Heavy Wood taking the place for anyone else's previous club?

Rain here today and forecast for the week looks pretty wet as well.

Got out to the range this past Saturday. Hit the Heavy 3w ok I guess when struck well.
Still having problems shifting my weight through fully to my left and that leads to fatness with my ball striking no matter what club I am swinging.
Once again, the indian and not the arrow...

Just caught up and there's a bunch of great info here. Seems like an amazing wood. I wish they made these in lefty.

Yes the Heavy Wood has a permanet spot in my bag, given I did not carry a 5 wood before but I really think I could replace my 3 wood with one a be just as happy

No doubt - I love this club. I wish I had found Boccieri golf years ago!

I'm meeting my cousin for 9 or range time tomorrow. He's a total hacker like me so I can't wait to hear his thoughts on the BGHW. I'll probably also make him sign up for THP right then and there!

No doubt - I love this club. I wish I had found Boccieri golf years ago!

I'm meeting my cousin for 9 or range time tomorrow. He's a total hacker like me so I can't wait to hear his thoughts on the BGHW. I'll probably also make him sign up for THP right then and there!

Do it! The more the merrier, right?

My 5 wood has a permanent spot in my bag and i am going to have more to post tomorrow. I am taking a day off to go play golf with a friend from out of town.

club hasnt quite earned a spot in my bag, but still plenty of testing to be done. the burner has just been better as of late....but time will tell

club hasnt quite earned a spot in my bag, but still plenty of testing to be done. the burner has just been better as of late....but time will tell

Gotcha. Just curious, what difference are you seeing that give the Burner the edge? Better distance, control? Overall comfort level?

Just out of curiosity...I know that the Boccieri has become a permanent fixture in my bag for the time being. For a while, I kept both my superfast 3W and the Boccieri 3W in, and would go back and forth between the two hitting shots. Now, the Superfast is in the extra bag in my golf room, and the Boccieri has taken it's place.

I wasnt sure if I was on an "honeymoon" phase with the Heavy Wood or not, but for me, the results are there, and dont see this leaving my bag any time soon.

Honestly, at this point, no. I still hit my FL farther and straighter than the heavy 3w. I have, however, considered carrying it in place of my FL5w, as a sort of 'strong' 5w because it does beat my 3w from the rough. Also, I have found that by choking down I can get about the same distance as my 5w, with a lower flight to boot.

That being said, I think anyone, especially those who struggle with confidence hitting their FW off the deck (the shallow face exudes confidence that you're going to get the ball up from even some pretty tight lies), or those who's miss is often a hook, is missing out if they don't give the heavy fairway woods a try. Not to mention, those who struggle with tempo problems, getting too 'handsy', or too quick in transition. I know that, for me at least, this club won't really allow any of that, matter of fact it seems to help to alleviate those type of swing faults. jmho

Honestly, at this point, no. I still hit my FL farther and straighter than the heavy 3w. I have, however, considered carrying it in place of my FL5w, as a sort of 'strong' 5w because it does beat my 3w from the rough. Also, I have found that by choking down I can get about the same distance as my 5w, with a lower flight to boot.

That being said, I think anyone, especially those who struggle with confidence hitting their FW off the deck (the shallow face exudes confidence that you're going to get the ball up from even some pretty tight lies), or those who's miss is often a hook, is missing out if they don't give the heavy fairway woods a try. Not to mention, those who struggle with tempo problems, getting too 'handsy', or too quick in transition. I know that, for me at least, this club won't really allow any of that, matter of fact it seems to help to alleviate those type of swing faults. jmho

So true, BBB. In the long run, this test has totally helped me with that one major fault of mine.

I will be getting out after work tomorrow for a range session or 9 holes, not sure which one yet. I have to much stuff that needs done around the house today which sucks hehe. Im really in the mood to hit some balls with this.

9/20/11 Driving Range
65*, 0-5mph SW gusting wind (so none at all, really), thick marine layer

AKA: Operation Heavy Wood Pimpin'

I met my cousin at the range today with the specific intent of having him hit the BGHW. I posted a link to one of my previous entries on Facebook a week or so ago, so the seed was planted. I knew, having seen his swing, that with some minor adjustments getting used to it, my cousin would be able to crush this club. In short, he did. He threw in a few low flight stingers while he was at it! I also convinced him to join THP, so I'll leave it to him to share his opinion.

As for me ...

I'm getting even more dialed in with the BGHW. I still make bad swings, but I know almost immediately if that miss is a push-fade or just a big push - these also usually end in an off-balance ending, usually from making an abbreviated turn. More often than not though, I'm hitting the BGHW straight, sometimes with a very tiny fade. For the first time, I was able to purposefully hit a draw and replicate that low-flight stinger by placing the ball back. I can't tell you how much that messed with me as I've been working really hard at the Ask The Golf Pro recommendation on ball placement and stance.

The two clubs that have absolutely come alive for me are my old R7 460 driver and my new Nike Machspeed 4h. I have so much confidence stepping up to hit them and as long as I make that same groovy tempo swing I make with my BGHW, the results are good to great. Again, huge huge step for my game.

I still have a tendency to grip the smaller BGHW grip a bit too hard, so I'm thinking of changing to my normal oversize WinnXL or some other oversize grip like the Golf Pride New Decade or Winn Xi7.

All in all, the love affair continues.

Back