Thread of Riddles

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
While the giraffe thread is doing well, it reminded me how much I enjoy riddles. One of my favourites is a moldy oldy, but is better said as opposed to being written.. "What's black, white, and read (red) all over?" The answer being a newspaper, however most assume 'read' = red based on the black + white.

Anyways, share your riddles with me. I'll start with my all time favourite, taken from the movie Tin Cup. Answer in spoilers so everyone who wants to take a run at them can without knowing the answer.

A man is driving down the road with his son and they get in a car accident. Two ambulances arrive and take them to two different hospitals. When the son is brought into the operating room, the doctor looks at him and says "I cannot operate on this boy, he is my son." How is that possible?

What is lighter than air, can be seen by the naked eye, and when you put it in a barrel, it will make the barrel lighter?

Answer
Spoiler
A hole in the barrel

While the giraffe thread is doing well, it reminded me how much I enjoy riddles. One of my favourites is a moldy oldy, but is better said as opposed to being written.. "What's black, white, and read (red) all over?" The answer being a newspaper, however most assume 'read' = red based on the black + white.

Anyways, share your riddles with me. I'll start with my all time favourite, taken from the movie Tin Cup. Answer in spoilers so everyone who wants to take a run at them can without knowing the answer.

A man is driving down the road with his son and they get in a car accident. Two ambulances arrive and take them to two different hospitals. When the son is brought into the operating room, the doctor looks at him and says "I cannot operate on this boy, he is my son." How is that possible?

Spoiler
The doctor is the boy's mother.

I think the first time I heard the riddle was on All In The Family.

Spoiler

You get lost in the woods during a bad snowstorm and happen upon a cabin. The cabin is unlocked and you step inside. You find a candle, a lantern, and a wood burning stove. You only have one match, so what do you light first?

You get lost in the woods during a bad snowstorm and happen upon a cabin. The cabin is unlocked and you step inside. You find a candle, a lantern, and a wood burning stove. You only have one match, so what do you light first?

Spoiler
MAtch.

What is lighter than air, can be seen by the naked eye, and when you put it in a barrel, it will make the barrel lighter?

Spoiler
hole in the barrel!

Spoiler
Spoiler

Yes!

Spoiler
The match!!

What's full of holes, but can still hold water?

Spoiler
The surgeon is his mother

Oddly enough, you're also right.. I've always viewed this as a one option answer!

Ha. I mistyped my first answer (probably) the one your referring to and changes it to the answer that is most logical. But I guess now that you mention it, my first answer could apply a well. Odd but I suppose it could.

You give me too much credit. Ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha. I mistyped my first answer (probably) the one your referring to and changes it to the answer that is most logical. But I guess now that you mention it, my first answer could apply a well. Odd but I suppose it could.

You give me too much credit. Ha

It would have made for an impossibly weird story, however, I was trying to allow for creative freedom hahahaha!

It would have made for an impossibly weird story, however, I was trying to allow for creative freedom hahahaha!

i MISSED IT. WHAT WAS HIS ANSWER?

What has four legs in the morning, two in the afternoon, and three in the evening?

What has four legs in the morning, two in the afternoon, and three in the evening?
[WITB]A person. Stages of life: Crawling, Walking, Cane.[/WITB]

Ha...I appreciate the willingness to consider other possibilities, it's just that my fingers got ahead of my brain. But I honestly did know the answer I use that one a lot, ever since seeing it in Tin Cup many years ago.

Last edited:
Hey CAA, spoiler that... While it's not the direct answer, it's leading in the right direction

My Bad, sorry about that.

What starts with a 'T', ends with a 'T', and has a 'sort of tea' in it?

What starts with a 'T', ends with a 'T', and has a 'sort of tea' in it?

At first I wanted to say
Spoiler
t*t

But then I realized the answer was
Spoiler
Teapot

Back