Titleist 714 Irons Preview

Available in November LEFTY.

spoke with my instructor today about these when i was at the range and he seemed pretty excited about them and the graphite shaft options in them(aerotech w/upcharge). He said these are coming with a different adapter for fitting than the 712's. I will be hitting them when they come in.

I will be going for either the 714 AP1 or AP2's. Depends on which I hit beter. I still play my 690.CB's from way back!

Debating on switching up to the 714 ap2 from my 712's. Right now I am using the 712ap2 with stiff c-tapers and really enjoy them. I guess we will see if I like them and if I can find a buyer for the 712's if I do like them.

The AP1s look really freaking nice, but I just don't think its a great "value" compared to other SGI clubs out there. I really like titleist's stuff but the price is often too much to bear.

You and I definitely disagree on this one. Titleist typically has a higher price tag than others, but overall, hold their value pretty well since they don't release clubs every 6 months like many of the other manufacturers AND is a quality product. Maybe you're referring to Titleist not discounting their clubs that have been on the market for a while like a lot of other vendors do, but again, a lot of times you can resell your used Titleist for more than you can get a set of new something elses for that as soon as you buy, go down in value 50%. I'd rather be able to sell my old clubs for several hundred dollars than pay 600 now and then give them away a year later. Maybe it's just me though.

Sorry about the rant. :)

The AP1s look really freaking nice, but I just don't think its a great "value" compared to other SGI clubs out there. I really like titleist's stuff but the price is often too much to bear.

My buddy is a single digit handicapper and he plays the AP1's. He can work the ball with them without issue and loves them. As a 6.1, I don't think you would have problem playing them (or anything for that matter) but it really boils down to what you want in an iron. I personally enjoy a smaller club head so they aren't a good fit for me.

I am really interested in the AP1's. I need something with little offset but easy to hit.

My buddy is a single digit handicapper and he plays the AP1's. He can work the ball with them without issue and loves them. As a 6.1, I don't think you would have problem playing them (or anything for that matter) but it really boils down to what you want in an iron. I personally enjoy a smaller club head so they aren't a good fit for me.

Thanks dude. My issue is that moving forward I see my rounds and practice time declining as we have a 3 week old haha. I am looking for something in between the players blades that I have been used to and something easier to hit for the next few seasons. I don't envision the handicap staying at 6 for much longer. Kind of looking forward- hence the AP1 thought.

From everything I've seen, they maintain a forgiving profile in a (comparitively) smaller blade length, along with a design that limits the offset appearance. Could be a good option for a guy like you Tim, though they'll definitely be on the larger side of the spectrum.

From everything I've seen, they maintain a forgiving profile in a (comparitively) smaller blade length, along with a design that limits the offset appearance. Could be a good option for a guy like you Tim, though they'll definitely be on the larger side of the spectrum.

Thanks buddy. That is kind of what I am looking for. I just have to get this kid to grow a little so I can take her to a golf shop and hit some clubs!

Thanks buddy. That is kind of what I am looking for. I just have to get this kid to grow a little so I can take her to a golf shop and hit some clubs!

One of the real joys of being a dad, buddy. My boy had a club in his hand when he was 18mo old and asks me daily to take him to the course/range.

Thanks dude. My issue is that moving forward I see my rounds and practice time declining as we have a 3 week old haha. I am looking for something in between the players blades that I have been used to and something easier to hit for the next few seasons. I don't envision the handicap staying at 6 for much longer. Kind of looking forward- hence the AP1 thought.

The one thing I would tell you when you go to look for clubs would be to try to hit them off of grass, which I realize is pretty hard at times up here. The reason I say that is because you're pretty steep coming into the ball, but you're also used to playing a smaller iron that can cut through the turf pretty well. Some of the bigger irons out there tend to have more bounce so that might be a transition for you, although AP1 might not be that bad.

No problem man. Even if you don't play as much and you're currently a 6, I would think some muscle memory would kick in and you would have no problem swinging these (or any other club for that matter). Definitely agree with Ary on the turf interaction.

You and I definitely disagree on this one. Titleist typically has a higher price tag than others, but overall, hold their value pretty well since they don't release clubs every 6 months like many of the other manufacturers AND is a quality product. Maybe you're referring to Titleist not discounting their clubs that have been on the market for a while like a lot of other vendors do, but again, a lot of times you can resell your used Titleist for more than you can get a set of new something elses for that as soon as you buy, go down in value 50%. I'd rather be able to sell my old clubs for several hundred dollars than pay 600 now and then give them away a year later. Maybe it's just me though.

Sorry about the rant. :)

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I typically don't buy clubs with resale value in mind.

I don't disagree with what you're saying, but I typically don't buy clubs with resale value in mind.

You are not alone dude.

I understand and appreciate that. Given how frequently technology changes, changes in your swing and/or practice time and a lot of times, desire for something new, I never expect to keep clubs for a long time. Given how often folks on this forum change clubs, I feel its a big factor

The one thing I would tell you when you go to look for clubs would be to try to hit them off of grass, which I realize is pretty hard at times up here. The reason I say that is because you're pretty steep coming into the ball, but you're also used to playing a smaller iron that can cut through the turf pretty well. Some of the bigger irons out there tend to have more bounce so that might be a transition for you, although AP1 might not be that bad.

Thanks for the thoughts. My local pro who is a buddy of mine is a Titleist guy and if I go in this direction I am going to have him fit me. Really just kind of dipping my feet into Titleist right now.

No doubt I'll get in trouble for this but reviews are starting to show up on YouTube if anyone's interested.
(Gonna go sit in the corner and wait for my telling off now)

So excited for the release of both the ap1 and ap2, kinda keen on the ap1 need to get into something more forgiving than the x forged I have now. And with a baby on the way the amount of golf with decline so the more forgiving the better! Maybe a blend of ap1 and ap2?

Went to Golfsmith to try these out today but they didn't have any left handed ones. Didn't have any MBs at all.

From looking at them closely, the AP2 and CB iron look almost identical apart from the back. Great looking club. Now if I can just find some to hit!

So excited for the release of both the ap1 and ap2, kinda keen on the ap1 need to get into something more forgiving than the x forged I have now. And with a baby on the way the amount of golf with decline so the more forgiving the better! Maybe a blend of ap1 and ap2?

Funny you say that this is the direction I'm leaning right now...

Hit the AP1 today on the range. The really improved the feel. Well struck shots have the "nothing" feeling most associate with forged while misses give you feedback without penalizing results. The finish is a nice improvement as well - brushed stainless should hold up better. The stock steel felt too light for my taste.

Got to swing these both today no balls hit though, I will next week. They both look phenomenal though and steel fibers are an upgrade and will be $40 per club.

Hit the AP2 with xp95 s300's

remarkable feel and sound, until you hit one low on the toe=sting not bad but you feel it

distance longer than my Ci's by a half a club or so,

forgiveness low on the face was good distance wise a little short as would be expected

Also hit the 712 with s300's lower launch(shaft pairing) same feel, distance same

Back