Golf Equipment Technology, do you NEED to know?

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
In this day in age of Golf Equipment the technology packed in to drivers, putters, irons, hybrids etc is crazy. So many equipment options for the golfer out there, all offering something just a bit different than the other.

My question to you in regards to this technology is this; Do you NEED to understand that technology before you game it? Do you NEED to know why you hit one ball farther than the other? Do you NEED to know why a driver with low spin doesnt work for you but a driver that is a higher spin head does?

I know personally, I like to have a general understanding about the equipment I am using, but I do not NEED to know the specific technology details on why/how it works. More so, I just need to know what works for me and to get that equipment in the bag and game it.

Thoughts?

I do, but, for me a ton of that so comes back to my job. If I was just a normal golfer, I'd probably say no to a lot of that.

I just need a general understanding of the differences in some products, but I don't need all the finite details. I think people can end up way overthinking things that might not really be affecting anything - like torque in shafts.

For me i do not. Just give me the results no sense in me getting caught up in tech stuff that isn't relevant to me

I do, but, for me a ton of that so comes back to my job. If I was just a normal golfer, I'd probably say no to a lot of that.
You are an outlier. :alien:
I just need a general understanding of the differences in some products, but I don't need all the finite details. I think people can end up way overthinking things that might not really be affecting anything - like torque in shafts.
Agreed on the thoughts of people overthinking things.

In this day in age of Golf Equipment the technology packed in to drivers, putters, irons, hybrids etc is crazy. So many equipment options for the golfer out there, all offering something just a bit different than the other.

My question to you in regards to this technology is this; Do you NEED to understand that technology before you game it? Do you NEED to know why you hit one ball farther than the other? Do you NEED to know why a driver with low spin doesnt work for you but a driver that is a higher spin head does?

I know personally, I like to have a general understanding about the equipment I am using, but I do not NEED to know the specific technology details on why/how it works. More so, I just need to know what works for me and to get that equipment in the bag and game it.

Thoughts?

The bolded sentence sums up my need to know requirements.

Golf Equipment Technology, do you NEED to know?

I don't think I need to know but I definetly like knowing. I like having a general understanding of what is going on but don't need every little detail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I need to know but I definetly like knowing. I like having a general understanding of what is going on but don't need every little detail.

I like knowing as well, and will often totally geek out when it comes to reading about tech and specs. But as a need to know why something is, I just don't have that absolute need to understand it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I like knowing as well, and will often totally geek out when it comes to reading about tech and specs. But as a need to know why something is, I just don't have that absolute need to understand it

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Yea. That's a good way of putting it. I basically want the readers digest version of what is going on. I don't need every little detail or even the really technical stuff. at the end of the day it will come down to what I hit best anyway.

For the most part, no. As long as it does what I want it to then I'm good.

However, I love to learn and grow my knowledge so for my own personal enjoyment I like to learn about new things and so I try and educate myself as much as I can.

General understanding is good enough for me, it either works for me or doesn't.

If it hits the ball straight for me I'm happy.My testing is taking 5 or so drivers out to an open tee on a afternoon and hitting 2 or 3 drives with each club.The one that produces the farthest is the one I'm after.I can always learn to control it later

I want to know. It is part of my enjoyment of the game. I like learning about, and tinkering with equipment. Design, materials, and even corporate culture and marketing are interesting topics to me. Does it benefit my game? I don't know. Doesn't matter though.

Some do and some dont. I don't think I would buy irons with face slots or speed pockets without explanation.

Tech knowledge adds to the ability to talk more smack to my buds as to why I take their money. Pure enjoyment! ?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I like to learn more about it and find it extremely interesting, but I don't really need to know. Overall it just depends how well I hit or I see others hit it.

I have a general curiosity about why/how stuff works. Interestingly though, this doesn't apply to golf equipment. I know what works for me and I stick to it.

I like to know and understand a good amount of it but i dont need to know everything.

I want to know the details. Mainly because it allows me to limit time and effort in future club replacements because some technology helps and some can hurt depending on the individual and their swing.

I like to know so I can narrow down whether to try something. obviously the company wants me to know to differentiate their product (sometimes going so far as to stretch the truth). but do I need to know every detail or spec? no.

I love technology of all kinds so if there is a story I pay more attention. It is more from an engineering and education thing though rather then whether or not it ends up in my bag. All the tech in the world doesnt mean anything if it doesnt produce results.

I think understanding what the technology does helps with confidence with me.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Need prolly not, want definitely

It's the way my brain is wired about everything I want to know how it works and why it works. I like understanding everything as I never know when it'll be useful.

Need no. Want yes, it helps me get intrigued for certain clubs and when I get better results it's cool to know why.

I love knowing all the in and outs of the new technology!

Back