True Length Technology - TLT

myndcraft

#TheGauntlet 2015 Champs
Reaction score
Handicap
Driving
After reading thru the recent SGI thread I started wondering here is anyone has heard of or has tried a set of TLT clubs?

I haven't but the gist of it is this. That after taking a number of things into consideration (your swing patterns, address, height, etc...) they fit you to a mathematical model that determines the length/lie of each iron in your bag.

The goal being to "having one single, stable athletic address position for every club in the bag. Holding every club in the same hand position and still utilize varying lengths and lies that fit your math model, perfectly."

From what I've read around various forums everyone who has tried it, for the most part, loves it and the creator was awarded the Best New Fitting Idea in 2007 by the Association of Golf Clubfitting Professionals.

Obligatory link - http://www.danscustomgolfshop.com/truelengthtechnology.html

This sounds very similar to a set of clubs that I remember seeing from Top-Flite back around the mid-90's. They were designed to have the same length shaft from 3 iron through the pitching wedge, and had almost a hybrid-style head on the set.

Tried to find some info on the set, but no luck on google.

When I spoke with John Hoeflich from Nickent in the interview on the main site, he spoke about a set he designed that bombed. It was for Titleist or Tommy Armour and it was an equal length set in which they were all the same length as a 6 iron.

ive heard about this kind of stuff (same length for every club). id be very interested in knowing what somebody who has a set really thinks about them (i mean, someone who knows what they are talking about and isnt a complete hack)

ive heard about this kind of stuff (same length for every club). id be very interested in knowing what somebody who has a set really thinks about them (i mean, someone who knows what they are talking about and isnt a complete hack)

TLT is not a same length for every iron set. I know it is much more involved, I wish I knew more but I have a buddy that has his done. He has never used a 3 iron, but his 4 iron through 6 are shorter, I think the 7 iron is the same, and the 8, 9 , wedge are all longer, but every club is slightly different length.

This is something I found from the TLT guy.

"I do need to clear this up as some may not interpete this correctly.
True Length Technology clubs are not single length clubs! The 1/2 inch increment in length separation is replaced by less than the 1/2 inch and is progressive - meaning no 2 increments are the same. The longest iron is still near 3 inches longer than the shortest."

There is a whole lot more that goes into this and I have thought about tinkering with an old set of irons I have but do not have the time right now. The only person I know(other than people online) that has tried it swears by it.

TLT is not a same length for every iron set. I know it is much more involved, I wish I knew more but I have a buddy that has his done. He has never used a 3 iron, but his 4 iron through 6 are shorter, I think the 7 iron is the same, and the 8, 9 , wedge are all longer, but every club is slightly different length.

This is something I found from the TLT guy.

"I do need to clear this up as some may not interpete this correctly.
True Length Technology clubs are not single length clubs! The 1/2 inch increment in length separation is replaced by less than the 1/2 inch and is progressive - meaning no 2 increments are the same. The longest iron is still near 3 inches longer than the shortest."

There is a whole lot more that goes into this and I have thought about tinkering with an old set of irons I have but do not have the time right now. The only person I know(other than people online) that has tried it swears by it.

oh, that makes more sense to me now. and that DOES sound interesting

oh, that makes more sense to me now. and that DOES sound interesting

I am really toying with the idea of trying it, however it is not something you can do on your own, from what I have read. I have seen "the man" in some other places and I could contact him and ask him to come here and clear up some of the questions, but that would almost be like a sponsorship type thing and I do not want to over step my bounds, with asking him to come here and tell us about his system.

Sunset Beach Golf has nothing to do with TLT it is something I have seen mentioned in a couple of places and have a friend who swears by it.

sounds interesting... you'd need a great fitter and some serious time

sounds interesting... you'd need a great fitter and some serious time

yeah, im sure they'd have to go thru every single club and how far you hit them, etc, etc, etc. sounds VERY interesting (and complicated). i'd love to know more about it

yeah, im sure they'd have to go thru every single club and how far you hit them, etc, etc, etc. sounds VERY interesting (and complicated). i'd love to know more about it

something you would see out on tour... for sure. I'd love to see how it would all work out for me

Thanks Chris for responding back here I had thought I had instant email notification turned on, but apparently not.

Anyways as Chris said the clubs are NOT all the same length, just varying lengths based on a number of factors.

I actually sent Dan an email and asked him about it recently and he said that very often they will re-fit someone into their existing set. I actually have two registered fitters in my area and depending on the cost I might do it. Worst case scenario I have to reshaft my irons if I don't like it.

Back