tnc200

The Snowman
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi; I am having some fun practicing my chipping lately. My percentages with a chip swing are so much better than a flop.

Lets imagine I overshot a green that slopes back towards the teebox, say... 8' past the apron. The pin would be all the way back for this one. Now I'd had a short flop ughhh...or a chip that usually blows right past the hole, unless I hit the pin and it backstops it for me.

My technique today is as close to Leadbetters as I can assimilate. Slightly open stance and clubface. Weight on leading foot. Ball a little back. I'm using his chipping style not his chip/putt style. So far I'm havin good results and it feels great but I need a chip with teeth.

Do you pros have this shot?

On a green that slopes away this is a more difficult shot. One way to help stop the ball is loft. I would like to see you play the same style "chip", but use the most lofted club in your bag. NOT A FLOP. Try this instead use the most loft, chip setup and stroke, open the club face just a touch. From here it is all about where you land the ball. Work on controlling where it lands versus where it needs to end up. Land it in the fringe to help kill this type of shot.

Ok, thanks. I've been doing just that, getting the ball to land and take just the first bounce on the fringe is such a delicate maneuver though. I use a 55* SW right now and am battling going under the ball. I will keep at it. Thank you

Back