How do I tell if my irons are taper or parallel tip

kokogirl

I love golf
Reaction score
Handicap
I have 09 Burner irons with the stock 85 gram shafts. I want to get the Nippon 750 shafts but I do not know how to tell if I need parallel or taper. I looked up the specs of my irons online, but I am not sure what I am looking for. Thanks to anyone who can help me!

Let's see if I can beat JB to this.

Please check-out. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?14645-Shaft-Replacement-Guide

According to that guide they should be .370 Parallel tipped

looking at the TM site they are .370" under tip size, irons that are .370" shaft tip size are considered parallel while irons that are .355" shaft tip size are considered tapered tip (in case you didn't already know)

Which version do you have?The original or the one with the uniflex shaft?

Let's see if I can beat JB to this.

Please check-out. http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?14645-Shaft-Replacement-Guide

According to that guide they should be .370 Parallel tipped

looking at the TM site they are .370" under tip size, irons that are .370" shaft tip size are considered parallel while irons that are .355" shaft tip size are considered tapered tip (in case you didn't already know)

Thank you! I did not know. That is what I was looking for!

Which version do you have?The original or the one with the uniflex shaft?

Stock steel 85 gram shafts regular flex. With the ugly big shaft sticker that I really need to remove.

Parallell vs Tapered

Parallell vs Tapered

I have 09 Burner irons with the stock 85 gram shafts. I want to get the Nippon 750 shafts but I do not know how to tell if I need parallel or taper. I looked up the specs of my irons online, but I am not sure what I am looking for. Thanks to anyone who can help me!

Parallel shafts have 2 steps @ 3" each just below the grip and then all the other steps are equal (usually 8 of them or so)
Tapered shafts have all 11 or so steps equal in length (1.8 inches or so) without the first two being @ 3 inches in length just below the grip

Now this may not be true for all mfg's but recall at my age is what I believe I remember.

Doc

Last edited:
Back