• None will win too many.

Votes: 9 23.7%

• Total voters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Which of these young guns will win the most majors.

I voted Anthony Kim, but have a few things to say one each (I am never short on words).

Kim- very ready- he is already a top 10 player in the world, one who has the ability to win every tournament in which he plays.

Villegas- At 27, he isn't that young- young on the scene but isn't quite a spring chicken. Ton of talent, but I see Kim advancing past where he will.

Lee- haven't seen enough from him to predict high level success. Let him play some more events, and then we will talk.

Rory- I love what he brings to the table. He has played amazingly this year, but I want to see him put it together more than once or twice on this side of the pond before we start talking majors. I think he will be the best of the four, but IMO, Kim is the "safe" pick here.

I'm the lone vote for Camilo?

I think he has the coolest, calmest head and is the most steadily high ranking player of the options. He may not have the most firecracker, blow-you-away type talent, but that's not the type of talent I think wins Majors.

Josh ordered them: McIlroy, Camilo, Kim, Lee. He pointed out Camilo has won bigger tournaments than the others: two Fedex Cup playoffs in a row, with bigger, deeper fields.

I think Rory M will win more majors. He seems to have it all together and his game appears more solid than the others IMO.

I voted for Anthony Kim. I just feel he has the best game, along with the most consistent game.

ya i think ak and rory will be the best out of that list, but i voted danny lee cuz he didnt have votes and i really really love his playing style. it reminds me a lot of myself, just im not as good haha

I think Rory M will win more majors. He seems to have it all together and his game appears more solid than the others IMO.

Also, he is 4 years younger than Kim and almost 8 years younger than Camillo- he has a lot more time.

• Admin
Time has not helped Sergio...hehe

I picked "none will win too many" because I don't think there is anyone in that group that will win more than three or four and probably most will win at most one or two. Three or four majors is a heck of an accomplishment. Ray Floyd won four; Demaret, Mickelson, Els and Price only won three. A lot won less than that: Crenshaw, Janzen, Strange and Norman all only won two. Winning majors is not easy, and these names were not schmucks. I left Stewart off the list because though he had three, he might have won more had he not died.

Don't forget the Tiger factor either. He's going to likely be winning majors into his 40s, and especially the next five or six years, which will take away chances these "young guns" to increase their take. I f by chance, his knee injury keeps him from dominating like he has in the past, then I would say that maybe one of these guys might win five to seven. These are all good, young golfers. But the small list of players I listed who won between two and four majors were not a bunch of wannabe's.

As JB alluded to, Sergio was a "young gun" once and he has won how many majors?

Voted for Rory, though I hope it's Camilo. We've got 20 years to answer this, right?

'None will win too many' here too. I'm not saying they won't win at all. I just don't see any Tigers in that group. If I had to pick one it would be Camilo. He has a work ethic like Tiger, which is key, imo.

I'm a bigger fan of the American AK but I think Rory will be a better player, not by much but still better.

I voted "none will win too many" as well, I agree with Smalls and Shanks, with Tiger still in the field he will limit the opportunities that the young guys have to win.

gotta go with Rory on this one

If he holds up- Rory should dodge Tiger for several years. He is 19, Tiger is 32- I believe. That is just off the top of my head. IMO, this helps any argument for him.

If he holds up- Rory should dodge Tiger for several years. He is 19, Tiger is 32- I believe. That is just off the top of my head. IMO, this helps any argument for him.

Yeah I voted assuming Tiger is out of the picture 10-15 years from now, that puts Rory to 35 at most. I don't think Tiger will be as strong there as he is now either.

I couldn't pick from that list. IMO, they are all so calm and collected and have tremendous games to complement. I'd say that the next decade of golf is going to be a very interesting one.

I think they all have a shot at winning a handful or more. Of the list though, I think McIlroy and Kim have the best shot.
In the long run, I think (hope) Rory will win more than AK.

I don't believe they will to many tournaments unless Tiger takes a back seat. Don't get me wrong all of the guys have the skills, but lack the mental side to beat Tiger.

I don't believe they will to many tournaments unless Tiger takes a back seat. Don't get me wrong all of the guys have the skills, but lack the mental side to beat Tiger.

McIlroy will miss Tiger for a while- he will be around for several years after Tiger is gone. Remember, Tiger has always said he will walk away when he can no longer compete at the level he expects from himself. I have seen athletes walk away at an age that many considered too early for that purpose.

Tiger is 32, right? McIlroy is 19. He will have several years in his career without Tiger, presumably. Ryo Ishikawa is another you could add in here. Kim is almost 24, so he has less time, and Villegas is 26 if not 27 by now, se he is really on the clock.

Sure you could say that Sergio hasn't won one yet, and he was every bit as talented as any of these guys (I am excluding Danny Lee because I want to see more from him before I include him with the other three), and he hasn't won yet. You can't use that as a rationale, though. He has no composure, but that is him. I see a mental maturity in the other three- they all have displayed this on a large stage. Sergio did this at the Players, and really nowhere else outside of the Rider Cup in the last ten years.

ATJ,
I am not sure we could add Ryo yet. Sure he has talent but so do many others. He has not performed well here at all (that is an understatement) where as each in that list has performed well here.

Agreed, he isn't in this league of players yet, but it was another example of a player who should miss Tiger by quite a few years and has a ton of potential.

I'm so close to Missouri that I do have a "Show Me" attitude. Potential and a buck ninety-five will get you a gallon of gas around here.

I've mentioned it before but does anyone remember Clint Hurdle? He had more potential than anyone. Can anyone say "Bust"? He's a pretty good coach though.

hurdle%20cover%20si%201.jpg

I'm so close to Missouri that I do have a "Show Me" attitude. Potential and a buck ninety-five will get you a gallon of gas around here.

I've mentioned it before but does anyone remember Clint Hurdle? He had more potential than anyone. Can anyone say "Bust"? He's a pretty good coach though.

hurdle%20cover%20si%201.jpg

.... he played for the Royals.... nuff said.

Back