Official MLB Baseball Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGasman

I Like to Party
Reaction score
Handicap
So i figure Id get a baseball off season thread going. Here what else is going on from around the country from the rumor mill. A couple Ive heard over the last few days
1) According to the Boston Globe, they hear a deal with the Dodgers for Peavy could be structured over future closer Jonathan Broxton and that both teams have no problem trading within the division. If im the Dodgers I do this in a heartbeat, Broxton is a stud, but he is no Peavy.

2) I keep hearing about the Red Sox making a run at Texeria, moving Youkilis to third and shopping Lowell. I dont know what to make of this deal, its obvious they need to replace the offensive production they lost with Manny, but isnt Lowell a big clubhouse guy? He was obviously important enough to give a big deal to last season. Although Tex would definitely look good sandwiched between Ortiz, Drew and Bay.

The Rays have been talking for the last 2 months of packaging BJ Upton and Edwin Jackson for a front line CF

I dont see them getting another Center fielder as they have 3 CFs already in their outfield. But I could see them making a run at Matt Holliday and shifting Crawford back to center. I agree with getting rid of Jackson while his stock is high though.

Holliday was tops on their list but commands too much money. Crawford is not a CF. He does not like to play CF either. And you are referring to Baldelli as the other one. He will never be a full time player again. His disease keeps him from doing so.

The Royals picked up a guy from the Marlins a couple days ago . . .don't remember his name but I think he's a first baseman. Power Hitter (but I bet he hits a lot less in Kauffman Stadium - - - everyone seems to. Even Bo Jackson only hit 34 in his best year here.

The Royals picked up a guy from the Marlins a couple days ago . . .don't remember his name but I think he's a first baseman. Power Hitter (but I bet he hits a lot less in Kauffman Stadium - - - everyone seems to. Even Bo Jackson only hit 34 in his best year here.

Mike Jacobs, not bad, I think he originally came from the Mets in the Delgado deal.

Gasman, you are correct.

Holliday was tops on their list but commands too much money. Crawford is not a CF. He does not like to play CF either. And you are referring to Baldelli as the other one. He will never be a full time player again. His disease keeps him from doing so.

I would not count on Baldelli to stay healthy either, but if the Rays want to go for broke next year, Holliday could help them make that push. He walks after 2009, and I think he only makes 13 mil next year. I think they would put up with Carl in center for one year. I just dont see any big Centerfielders becoming available.

13 million is too much for them. ANd it isnt Baldelli staying healthy. He has a disease.

Ya but even before that Rocco had all those hamstring problems. Besides his rookie year, the guy hasnt stayed healthy.

Mike Jacobs, not bad, I think he originally came from the Mets in the Delgado deal.

Somehow I don't expect much from the Royals again next year. They have said they will increase payroll to $60 mil. I won't be surprised if they end up trading Greinke to try and get some more offense.:angry:

If Jacobs can't hit hr's in Kauffman he won't be much help
He walked just 36 times last year, and his .299 on-base percentage was the seventh-lowest in baseball among players with 500 or more plate appearances.

What can you expect from the guy who ran Wal-Mart, home of the lowest prices and lowest quality. It sucks to be a Kansas City sports fan.:at-wits-end:

Its not the Royals Fault. Its baseballs fault. It is a joke that most teams cannot compete from day one of the season. The Rays did it with low payroll, but the window will shrink as soon as some players get free agency. How is sports fair when one team can spend 220 million and another can only spend 30 million. People wonder why NFL is king? Because of parody.

I agree about the salaries, but according to Jason Stark(MLB insider) the Royals bring in over $60 mil. before they sell a single ticket. They sold the stadium renovation to Jackson County residents by promising to put the increased revenue back into the team. ($250 million project/ Royals contribution $30 mil.) I don't expect them to have a $100 mil payroll but $60 mil isn't going to help much.

Last year was a move in the right direction, at least they didn't lose 100 games. They are just hard to watch.

I agree about the salaries, but according to Jason Stark(MLB insider) the Royals bring in over $60 mil. before they sell a single ticket. They sold the stadium renovation to Jackson County residents by promising to put the increased revenue back into the team. ($250 million project/ Royals contribution $30 mil.) I don't expect them to have a $100 mil payroll but $60 mil isn't going to help much.

Last year was a move in the right direction, at least they didn't lose 100 games. They are just hard to watch.

The crowds are there, didnt KC have a pretty big share of that market in the 80s? If they would of gone the Tampa route a few years back and kept the Beltrans, Damons, and Dyes they would of been a different team. I liked the Meche signing, but they did get around 30 million in rev sharing last year and spent it poorly. I mean who really thought that Guillen was a good signing.

The crowds are there, didnt KC have a pretty big share of that market in the 80s? If they would of gone the Tampa route a few years back and kept the Beltrans, Damons, and Dyes they would of been a different team. I liked the Meche signing, but they did get around 30 million in rev sharing last year and spent it poorly. I mean who really thought that Guillen was a good signing.
Yeah it would have been great to keep those guys. I can't really blame the Royals for losing them though. No way they could have afforded Beltran and Damon, they got crazy money.
They could have held on to Beltran a little longer maybe, but spent that money to lock up Mike Sweeney instead. That turned into a disaster, he spent most of his time on the DL.
If Guillen was hitting homeruns, nobody would care about his "issues". My guess is the Royals are stuck with him, even if they don't want him. It was a bad decision which Dayton Moore said was a big risk and they knew going in there would be some difficulties dealing with him.:bicker:

Well it looks like Matt Holiday is on his way to Oakland. They havent said who the Rockies are getting back, but I heard it would probably be Houston Street and a few prospects.

That is what I heard too, but ESPN just said that the Cardinals are making calls fast to try and grab him.

Could you imagine Holiday on the Cardinals batting behind Pujols. That would have to be the best 3-4 combo in baseball.

To speak the truth I don't really like baseball, which is why I hate baseball season with a passion. First off on TV it's always baseball games, not much of anything else. Second on SportsCenter's Top plays it's always Baseball plays, never really anything else like sweet soccer goals from 30 yards out or anything like that. And finally, I just think baseball is pretty boring, but that's just IMHO.

I respect your opinion but I will answer your thoughts.
Soccer can end in a tie...Why bother with the match.
They would show more soccer highlights, but there arent any highlights to view.
lol

For non-stop action, soccer is incredible. I still can't take the tie games (be it 0-0 or whatever). I think they should keep playing sudden-death overtime (the shootouts at the end are fine for Cup play, but for league it should be sudden-death . . . no ties.). I do think there should be more scoring - - - make the goal dimensions 9 feet x 27 feet instead of 8 feet x 24 feet. Americans like offense. Well, at least, I do! Problem doing that for U.S. Soccer is they aren't going to do that for Euro or FIFA play. Come to think of it, they should make the hockey goals bigger too!

Baseball as a whole is pretty boring when you figure how little action there really is in a 3 hour ball game. They figured it up and it seems like they came up with 7 minutes worth of time doing something (throwing a ball, hitting a ball, running, etc.) during an average major league game. But there's no ties (except maybe exhibition season or something).

I can see how some find baseball boring. But when you really get into the strategy behind every single pitch, it becomes more exciting. Its really the only sport I follow anymore, I found it was a good way to wind down after a long day. I can fire up the bbq and listen during the first couple of innings and then relax on the couch and watch the end of the game. To each his own.

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind watching baseball either - - - not something I'll do all the time, but I'll catch probably 20 Royals games and the playoffs and World Series every year.

I respect your opinion but I will answer your thoughts.
Soccer can end in a tie...Why bother with the match.
They would show more soccer highlights, but there arent any highlights to view.
lol

I agree with the no ending in ties, and also with the highlights, but I think that if you are into the game, or played for a while (I'm on my 13th year) it becomes more interesting. Which I would imagine is the same story with base ball.

Although I do think this is a pointless debate. Soccer is a sport in which you must be moving constantly, along with thinking head, and making decisions with in a matter of seconds. While baseball is a more stationary (comparatively speaking.) With fairly straight forward actions. There isn't much similarity between the two, and I think we should agree to disagree :smile:

Looks like the Royals picked up Coco Crisp today for reliever Ramon Ramirez. That should be a nice fit for KC, although Ramirez was money coming out of the pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back