Reducing grip taper (i.e. building up lower hand)

JimmyG

Reaction score
Handicap
Not a fan of the new Golf Pride grip that does this. Instead want to do on my own.

What's the best method you've found?

for my woods and hybrids i put 1-2 wraps on the bottom hand depending on the grip. with the NDMC i would put two wraps, with the lamkin i have done two but think i might just go 1 extra next time.

I used to add 1 to 2 extra wraps under my right hand to remove the taper of a grip. Pretty simple. There are a few videos on youtube that show different ways people do it.

I put 1 extra wrap under the bottom hand for all the clubs except the lob wedge. For that I'll do 2. I put 1 full length layer on first, then the extra bottom layer, then put the 2nd full length layer of tape I use over everything again. Makes it easier when putting the grip on since I feel it won't snag the corner of the shorter bottom hand layer.

I do this to my grips most of the time, one more under the right hand, just feels more comfortable to me.

I do this to my grips most of the time, one more under the right hand, just feels more comfortable to me.

Where do you guys start the 2nd hand and can you feel it at all or does it turn out to be a smooth transition once gripped?

Where do you guys start the 2nd hand and can you feel it at all or does it turn out to be a smooth transition once gripped?

I start the 2nd hand halfway down. You can't tell it's there, it'll be a smooth transition.

I put three extra wraps under the right hand on my GP Tour wrap 2g midsize grips. I have loved these grips for years and the price makes it a lot easier to replace them more often.

Back