LPGA Q-School Article

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
I agree Claire. I wish this was on TV, and I am a little suprised based on the fact that Wie is in it that it is not.

Another good article BQ. Thanks.

I agree Claire. I wish this was on TV, and I am a little suprised based on the fact that Wie is in it that it is not.

Another example of TGC missing an opportunity. Here we are in the middle of the silly season, with quality golf sorely lacking, and here is one of the most compelling events of the year left untelevised.

• Admin
I am absolutely baffled in all of this. I spoke with TGC rep today and they were fairly baffled too. In a nutshell, here is what I got out of it. Had they known that Michelle Wie would be playing in it 6 months ago, it would have been televised. That is weak!

SO, why don't we all write to them and tell them how we feel?

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/contact/

I'll fill one out, and link this thread. Get more folks involved, let's see if they'll start airing these things more often. I'd love to watch some mini tour coverage. The last stinkin thing I want to see is more infomercials.

• Admin
Great idea Gummi.

I wish it were televised as well. But I bet the competitors don't! By all accounts there's nothing in golf quite like the pressure at Q-School as is. Now, add cameras. Ouch.

I wish it were televised as well. But I bet the competitors don't! By all accounts there's nothing in golf quite like the pressure at Q-School as is. Now, add cameras. Ouch.

If they can't handle the cameras then they have no business being there in the first place, this is the big show in womens golf, and they are going to see cameras at every LPGA event. I think it should be televised, and I am with Gummi on this one: The Golf Channel needs to step up and cover more golf events.

I wonder why Kim Welch is competing in Q-School even though she got her card via the DFT money list?

She doesn't get fully exempt status with her 10th place DFT promotion, just "Category 17" priority, so she is trying to improve that standing. Here's the announcement:

http://www.lpga.com/content_1.aspx?pid=17028&mid=4

If a player finishes in positions one through five, she would earn Priority List Category 9 and if in positions six through 10, a player would earn Priority List Category 17.

I have high hopes for her this year if she can get her accuracy and putting under control.

Reactions: JB
After the first round, Michelle Wie and Stacy Lewis are both tied for 6th at 3-under (leader Shiho Oyama is -8).

The top 5 players all played the Champions course today. Lewis played the Champions course, while Wie played the Legends course and was the low score on that course today.

Just from glancing at the leaderboard, it looks like the Legends course was playing much tougher than the Champions course.

Anna Rawson is tied for 17th at -1 on the Champions course as well.

Harry, I was thinking the same thing. Of the top 11, only two played Legends -- Wie and Audra Burk. Of the bottom 19, only one played Champions -- an amatuer named Lidya Ivana Jiya.

The leaderboard suggests that there were some interesting and sad stories, as one would expect, although since there is no coverage or even hole-by-hole reportage of all competitors, its hard to know what happened. Here's some observations from the numbers:

- First, mad props to Charlotte on her prescient dark horse pick of Amy Yang -- at least after one round, that is! She finished -5 on the Champions Course tied for third overall, ahead of both Lewis and Wie (Charlotte's other "lock" picks). Good eye there.

- Second, given how much golf is left to play, it looks like Andrea V. and Kim W. both remain in the hunt, if not in great position. They both shot +1 on the Champions course, puting them in the group tied at 52nd. With four rounds to play, they have a reasonable chance to move up against the field.

- Not such good news for some others who have done the reality circuit or are otherwise players who peak my interest: Liz Stuart (T-71, +2 at Champions), Taylor Leon (T-120, +6 at Legends), Ashley Prange (T-114, +5 on Legends), Patricia Meunier-Lebouc (T-71, +2 at Legends), and Naree Song (T-87, +3 at Champions) all shot scores they would have rather not. Time to grind, ladies!

- And finally, there's poor Bri Vega. I was really pulling for her, but she just threw up today. She's dead last, 139th, having shot +9 on the Legends Course. That said, it's only one round, Legends is playing significantly harder than Champions, there's 72 more chances to get strokes back, and if she can keep her head in it and go low once or twice she might be able to grind her way into something. I certainly hope so. But this can't be an easy thing to come back from mentally or physically. She's come a long way in her career, but now she's going to have to pull it together, forget what happened, and prove she's got what it takes. Good luck to her.

I understand play was delayed today because of frost. Other than that, I haven't heard much of anything about the events of the day.

I'm bummed for bri... i saw she shot 38-43 but haven't spoken to her... sometimes you just play bad but hopefully tomorrow on the Champions she can shoot under par. I don't think the Legends is that much tougher... hard to believe why everyone seemed to do better on the Champions but that's just me. I guess there's not as much trouble on the Champ but certainly both courses allow for a lot of birdies.

The only thing I can think of is maybe the pin positions were tougher on Legends today. They're supposed to set them up to play similarly, but the scores suggest that wasn't the case today.

Yeah that's how the GC rolls, but heaven forbid they dislodge a home gym infomercial from the schedule or awaken Dottie or even Grant Boone from winter hibernation long enough to televise a few hours of it.

Some big moves today -- as you'd expect in a 5-round tourney. Of course the big news will be the Big Wiesy's impressive 65, moving her into a tie with Shiho Oyamo for first place at 10 under. Stacy Lewis and Amy Yang have maintained their strong positions, Lewis one shot behind Wie and Oyamo in 3d place at -9, then a jump to Amy Yang who is 4 off the lead at -6 and tied for 4th place overrall. So BQ's picks are still at the top of the leaderboard.

Bri Vega posted the second round that she sorely needed, going 3 under par on the Champions course with a 69. Unfortunately, she's still T-106 and thus remains outside the 70-person cut that will follow Round 4, but that's a big jump in the right direction and she's got two more rounds to get there. Given the ugly position in which she started, today's round is that much more impressive. Yea Bri.

Some other interesting outcomes today. Kim Welch took advantage of her distance on the Champions course and surged from 52nd to 11th position with a 4 under round of 68. Anna Rawson held firm and is in 19th place. Nicole Hage improved from 52nd to 30th, while Taylor Leon jumped up forty positions to 80th from 120th after round one. Same for Amber Prange, who started the day in a tie for 114th and is now also tied at 80, which is +3 overrall. Sadly, Liz Stuart moved in the opposite direction, from 70th to 106th, as did Andrea V., from 52nd to 113th.

Edit: Oops, Kim Welch played Legends and shot -4. Whatever was causing the difficult play on that course seems to have been alleviated somewhat, as several players managed sub-par rounds on Legends. The low round on Legends appears to have been by Stacy Lewis with an amazing -6, followed by Welch and Angela Buzminski with -4s.

My picks had a strong comeback today with Taylor, Bri and Nicole... Nice job ladies! I've just been creating Blingo Bag Tags today... Kinda excited about them.

Im sure we will be reviewing them soon right? hehe

Im sure we will be reviewing them soon right? hehe

I'm thinking of doing it more like a gift with purchase... So far I've made a few for friends just to test them out but I'm happy with the results. I'll have to add pics on my blingo page sometime.

I'm curious to know why Legends was playing so hard yesterday, because the two courses have definitively evened out today.

Both Wie and Lewis put up impressive scores. I haven't seen any video highlights on TGC.com yet. I guess we'll have to wait for Golf Central tonight.

Back