Looking for New Grips - Any suggestions?

bhempstead

Reaction score
I am looking to re-grip my clubs over the winter or the early part of spring next year. Dont really know too much about grips and whats out there. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Go to your local golf store and try them all out. Grip selection is a personal thing and no one on here can really give you any real advice that will be useful other than how they feel to them, how long they last for them, etc. Personally I just switched over to a Winn DSI V17 Oversize grip. I have big hands and prefer a bigger grip and like the softness of these vs. the standard oversize grips such as Golf Pride multi-compound grips.

I would say find a line and feel that you like locally and then check out what people are saying about durability. I love my super soft Winn grips, but they are not for everybody and dont last nearly as long as some others. But they work with my hands the best.

It is different for everybody, but make sure you check on durability.

Go to your local golf store and try them all out.

This is probably the best route if you don't know for sure. Many stores will even have them installed on the butt-end of a club so you can feel them as if they were on a club. Durability can vary depending on what you get and how often you play, the conditions you play in, and how well you take care of them. Price can also be a factor for some people. You can get quality grips for $2 or $3, or pay $7 or $8 for some of them. Of course if you don't install yourself, then you have that expense as well.

Personally, I prefer the more basic Golf Pride Tour Velvet or Lampkin Crossline. Really no difference to me, just whichever I can find the better price at the time I need them. They are both on the cheaper end and that allows me to put a new set on each year. I do like some of the higher end options also, like the Golf Pride DD2, but I don't want to pay for them.

One thing I did in the past when I was trying to figure out what I liked, I put different grips on my clubs for a season. That way I could really try different grips and see which one felt the best and lasted the longest. Not saying that I had 13 different grips, but there were 4 or 5 different models on various clubs. At the end I knew what I liked the best and then that is what I put on now.

One thing I did in the past when I was trying to figure out what I liked, I put different grips on my clubs for a season. That way I could really try different grips and see which one felt the best and lasted the longest. Not saying that I had 13 different grips, but there were 4 or 5 different models on various clubs. At the end I knew what I liked the best and then that is what I put on now.

This is a good suggestion also. I did the same thing a couple weeks ago with the Winn DSI grips I have on now. I installed them on my driver, woods and hybrid as I don't play them as often each round, but enough I can get a good idea if I will like them to spend the rest of the money on the irons and wedges.

Definitely go to a store and get a feel for them. And I would suggest that when you pick one out, only buy one at first. Test it out on one of your clubs for a little while before you commit to regripping your whole set.

EDIT: I'm slow and StL basically suggested the same thing.

I am a big fan of the Golf Pride Decade multi compound grips.

Back