Wrist breaking during putting

Sir Shanksalot

GET IN THE HOLE!!!
Reaction score
Handicap
I just watched the 1971 Open Championship (Trevino won) and noticed how just about all the players had some kind of wrist break during putting. Some putted with only wrist break(no arm swing). Trevino, Player, Nicklaus, Jacklin, etc. These guys were making eagles and birdies over and over. Today, it seems any wrist break is taboo. There are even training aids to force you not to break your wrist. 37 years ago it seemed to work. What happened?

IMHO, greens got harder and faster and made people work much harder on technique.

I love watching all those old shows on TGC (Big Three, All-Star Golf, Challenge Golf, etc.) where Palmer, Nicklaus, et al. "popped" their putters.

IMHO, greens got harder and faster and made people work much harder on technique.

and equipment to cut greens got better

I love watching all those old shows on TGC (Big Three, All-Star Golf, Challenge Golf, etc.) where Palmer, Nicklaus, et al. "popped" their putters.

Yes, you're strange that way... :tongue:

I also noticed most of them had blade putters. I wonder if they were just popular or if the blade better suited that style of putting.

I also noticed most of them had blade putters. I wonder if they were just popular or if the blade better suited that style of putting.

In 1971, was there anything but blade putters?

Back