Exercise and Wellness

The press is almost always the first lift where a lifter fails. If a lifter can press more than they can squat, they be skipping leg day.
Skip leg day! I cannot even speak those words!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Skip leg day! I cannot even speak those words!

hurts to think about. Squats are life.

The press is humbling

indeed. if there is a movement i do that can be so day to day it is seated ohp or standing bumbell press. i am at the point that no way can i go up in weight every ohp session. in fact, i think i have been at 50#s per side, seated on the smith machine for 3 sessions now.

Your Planet Fitness has free weights?

dude, r u kidding! of course not, they would have to give up the room they serve pizza and bagels in to make space. no chit, they serve pizza one night a month and bagels one morning a month, lol. that is funny but pf has/does serve it's purpose for me and my family. i accept it for what it is and scoff as we may, it is healthier than doing nothing. there are quite a few members that like myself use the smith machine and dumbbells for our work. i have not exceeded the shortcomings of the place so i'm happy. and yes, a lot of memebers only elipticle or tread, and a lot couldn't do proper form even if you showed them, but c'est la vie

The press is almost always the first lift where a lifter fails. If a lifter can press more than they can squat, they be skipping leg day.

that would be a gorilla, lol

dude, r u kidding! of course not, they would have to give up the room they serve pizza and bagels in to make space. no chit, they serve pizza one night a month and bagels one morning a month, lol. that is funny but pf has/does serve it's purpose for me and my family. i accept it for what it is and scoff as we may, it is healthier than doing nothing. there are quite a few members that like myself use the smith machine and dumbbells for our work. i have not exceeded the shortcomings of the place so i'm happy. and yes, a lot of memebers only elipticle or tread, and a lot couldn't do proper form even if you showed them, but c'est la vie
Used to be a member and it works. Block away from my old place of work and only $10 per month. My location was also very clean so can't really complain. Kept me in shape until I moved jobs.

I come seeking help / advice.

My goal is to improve my fitness and lose weight. A 10% - 15% reduction would get me to where I was about 2 years ago, the last time I wasn't disgusted with myself. Really, this needs to be a life change but the truth is I am motivated to get it done in the next 9 months. From a life perspective this means feeling better, feeling better about myself, clothes fitting right, maybe some ancillary health benefits. From a golf perspective I hope that reducing my mid section and increasing flexibility will correlate to finding some lost SS and greater stamina over the course of a weekend.

I would appreciate input on developing an exercise regiment to reach those goals. I have Wii Fitness at home and a gym at work, which is actually pretty modern and features an assortment of equipment. The gym also offers these classes for a nominal fee ($25 a month for any/all):
 Pilates: Tuesdays and Thursdays
 Zumba Toning: Mondays
 Zumba: Tuesdays, Thursdays and Fridays
 Strength and Conditioning: Tuesdays and Thursdays
 Yoga: Mondays

My original thought was core and flexibility work using Wii fitness on Saturday and Sunday, then some version of a traditional gym experience maybe Tu-Th with Mon and Fri off. But the availability of the classes makes me wonder if there's a better way to do this. I have a very full schedule so anything more than 45 minutes per day may not be super realistic.

I'd really appreciate input about how to use the resources I have to achieve the goal. Thanks in advance for helping.

PS - Zumba is not in my sweet spot, unless doing the white man overbite burns like a billion calories.

Last edited:

My goal is to improve my fitness and lose weight. A 10% - 15% reduction would get me to where I was about 2 years ago, the last time I wasn't disgusted with myself. Really, this needs to be a life change but the truth is I am motivated to get it done in the next 9 months. From a life perspective this means feeling better, feeling better about myself, clothes fitting right, maybe some ancillary health benefits. From a golf perspective I hope that reducing my mid section and increasing flexibility will correlate to finding some lost SS and greater stamina over the course of a weekend.

I would appreciate input on developing an exercise regiment to reach those goals. I have Wii Fitness at home and a gym at work, which is actually pretty modern and features an assortment of equipment. The gym also offers these classes for a nominal fee ($25 a month for any/all):

My original thought was core and flexibility work using Wii fitness on Saturday and Sunday, then some version of a traditional gym experience maybe Tu-Th with Mon and Fri off. But the availability of the classes makes me wonder if there's a better way to do this. I have a very full schedule so anything more than 45 minutes per day may not be super realistic.

I'd really appreciate input about how to use the resources I have to achieve the goal. Thanks in advance for helping.

PS - Zumba is not in my sweet spot, unless doing the white man overbite burns like a billion calories.

Calories in vs calories out to drop the weight/body fat. Strength training will aid in that and some form of cardio wouldn’t hurt. Feel free to pm me and we can chat about your caloric needs as I will need some basic personal info like age, weight, etc.

download myfitnesspal. It's free and probably one of the best apps available.

This is the best article I have found to help with dietary structure and game planning how to lose weight http://www.barbellmedicine.com/584-2/

exercise is something totally different. I don't believe stretching or yoga does much. Most people I have worked with don't lack flexibility, they lack the strength to assume positions. If anybody tells you that lifting weights reduces flexibility, they are wrong and you should stop talking to them on the subject.

I do Pilates twice a week. Done correctly Pilates and Yoga will increase your flexibility, strengthen your core and improve your balance. I started doing Pilates as rehab for a broken leg. The great thing about Pilates is that it can be tweaked to constantly challenge you. Adding cardio will help increase your stamina. To lose weight you need to eat the correct amount of calories.
I think that weight lifting or resistance work has a place in everyone's exercise regime. The trick is to find out what works for you and what will keep you motivated.
Myfitnesspal is a great site for tracking your food and exercise.

download myfitnesspal. It's free and probably one of the best apps available.

This is the best article I have found to help with dietary structure and game planning how to lose weight http://www.barbellmedicine.com/584-2/

exercise is something totally different. I don't believe stretching or yoga does much. Most people I have worked with don't lack flexibility, they lack the strength to assume positions. If anybody tells you that lifting weights reduces flexibility, they are wrong and you should stop talking to them on the subject.
I agree with you that yoga and stretching don't do a lot for weightloss, the key is obviously nutrition and burning more calories than you take in. Yoga and stretching don't burn to many calories I don't think. As far as flexibility I think they do have their place, especially yoga. I haven't ever done it myself but know people that have seen a lot a benefits from it. I don't buy the notion that weightlifting by itself (which you know I am all for) is always sufficient for flexibility and ROM problems. I mean I can't touch my toes and I lift. But my hips are definitely more free from squatting. So I think both doing big lifts as well as ROM exercises are important, certainly more than static stretching.

I agree with you that yoga and stretching don't do a lot for weightloss, the key is obviously nutrition and burning more calories than you take in. Yoga and stretching don't burn to many calories I don't think. As far as flexibility I think they do have their place, especially yoga. I haven't ever done it myself but know people that have seen a lot a benefits from it. I don't buy the notion that weightlifting by itself (which you know I am all for) is always sufficient for flexibility and ROM problems. I mean I can't touch my toes and I lift. But my hips are definitely more free from squatting. So I think both doing big lifts as well as ROM exercises are important, certainly more than static stretching.

Touching toes is an arbitrary measure of flexibility, in my opinion. I don't think yoga or pallettes hurt anything. If it makes a person happy to do, then do it. Fwiw, lifting weights doesn't burn many calories either. Recovering from lifting burns a ton of calories. But the actual activity, very few

Touching toes is an arbitrary measure of flexibility, in my opinion. I don't think yoga or pallettes hurt anything. If it makes a person happy to do, then do it. Fwiw, lifting weights doesn't burn many calories either. Recovering from lifting burns a ton of calories. But the actual activity, very few
I'd rather lift quicker, more reps, more sets etc. to burn more calories than run!! Sure touching toes is arbitrary, but what measure of flexibility wouldn't't be?

I'd rather lift quicker, more reps, more sets etc. to burn more calories than run!! Sure touching toes is arbitrary, but what measure of flexibility wouldn't't be?

I only run fast enough to trip the next slowest person.

One day a week I have added doing 5-6 x 10 squats @ 155 superset with 1min on the jump rope. About 1min rest between sets. Then go to the track for about 10-15mins doing alternating jog and sprints.

Showed during my last league game where I played most of the 40min BBall game and not feeling completely exhausted.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I've downloaded the fitness app Blue recommended and been using it. It is a little tedious but ultimately very helpful to track what we consume. Knowing I'd have to account for it influenced some choices. Exercise will likely start once my access to the gym starts, probably late next week to the week after. I walked 18 today and fatigued on the back 9. That is pathetic and a reminder of how much I need to do this.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I've downloaded the fitness app Blue recommended and been using it. It is a little tedious but ultimately very helpful to track what we consume. Knowing I'd have to account for it influenced some choices. Exercise will likely start once my access to the gym starts, probably late next week to the week after. I walked 18 today and fatigued on the back 9. That is pathetic and a reminder of how much I need to do this.

Takes a little getting used to. The one good thing is if you tend to eat the same foods regularly they are saved for you already.

Over the past 2 .5 weeks seen a drop of 13 pounds. Feels great i feel so much better for this

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

About 2 weeks ago, while seated at desk i slammed the outside of my knee into tje corner of the desk drawer. That night, being oh so careful, i hit the same spot into my dash board. I had a knot on my knee the size of half golf ball. I continued to squat amd dead as scheduled. Swelling went down, pain did not. Friday i set new pr squat and dead. Wow, my outer knee is kind of whacked out now! Phys therapist, here i come. Damn

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

About 2 weeks ago, while seated at desk i slammed the outside of my knee into tje corner of the desk drawer. That night, being oh so careful, i hit the same spot into my dash board. I had a knot on my knee the size of half golf ball. I continued to squat amd dead as scheduled. Swelling went down, pain did not. Friday i set new pr squat and dead. Wow, my outer knee is kind of whacked out now! Phys therapist, here i come. Damn

How much ibuprofen have you taken? How much protein have you eaten? How you had imaging done? A physio isn't going to be able to tell you what is wrong and if one does, they're making it up.

Starting strength guys, do you ever schedule a day with lighter work? Currently on a4 day a week routine where each session is not able to add the 5 pounds to any lift. Eventually adding during one of tjose days. Do you ever have a day where you just drop say 25 percent and maybe add an auxiliary exercise

Starting strength guys, do you ever schedule a day with lighter work? Currently on a4 day a week routine where each session is not able to add the 5 pounds to any lift. Eventually adding during one of tjose days. Do you ever have a day where you just drop say 25 percent and maybe add an auxiliary exercise

Depends on how you run your 4-day split. The traditional 4-day split is tough because it really is designed to be hard, all for days. They're really no room for a light day. It's just volume and intensity.

A popular template is HLM. It's a three day program. There's a heavy day, a medium day, and a light day.

I think Old Man Texas Method might also be appropriate. Instead of a high volume day, it's just 3 sets of 5 reps.

Depends on how you run your 4-day split. The traditional 4-day split is tough because it really is designed to be hard, all for days. They're really no room for a light day. It's just volume and intensity.

A popular template is HLM. It's a three day program. There's a heavy day, a medium day, and a light day.

I think Old Man Texas Method might also be appropriate. Instead of a high volume day, it's just 3 sets of 5 reps.

Typical routine, is a light warm up set to feel the movement, then 4 x 5 with the first a little lighter, say 20%, then full weight for the last 3. squat every day, dead every day. alternate between day where i bench and row and day where i press (either seated press or dumbbell press) and pull downs/chin-ups. i often think, whether right or wrong, that if i miss a scheduled day i may not progress, although i must admit that on cycle day 4 i am tired and after a 2 day break, i am strong. this routine has paid so far as in i went for pbs on this past friday and while squat and deads where greater than b4 marginally, bench and press were light years stronger, like i was on some drug, lol.

Typical routine, is a light warm up set to feel the movement, then 4 x 5 with the first a little lighter, say 20%, then full weight for the last 3. squat every day, dead every day. alternate between day where i bench and row and day where i press (either seated press or dumbbell press) and pull downs/chin-ups. i often think, whether right or wrong, that if i miss a scheduled day i may not progress, although i must admit that on cycle day 4 i am tired and after a 2 day break, i am strong. this routine has paid so far as in i went for pbs on this past friday and while squat and deads where greater than b4 marginally, bench and press were light years stronger, like i was on some drug, lol.

You're squatting and deadlifting four days a week? You alternate bench press and press?

Back