I didnt throw a super high series but did have a 686 on Wednesday. Won all 4 individual points and 2 brackets.

Loving my new Storm Frantic!!!

I love urethane balls. I'm currently rolling a Storm Natural and a Roto Grenade. 2 finger release throw is my style

Anyone else bowl in the winter?

Anyone else bowl in the winter?

This thread is probably out of place a little, considering it's "spring" and all. We are just finishing up our league in the next few weeks. I grew up more on the bowling lanes than I did the golf course. My Aunt and Uncle still own the bowling alley in my hometown. I was bowling in a league when I was 5 years old, and until my sophomore year in high school. We had a family falling out and didn't really bowl in leagues again until college. That's really what got my more into golf, but that's another story.
Anyway, having been back in to a league team now for about 4 years, my game has turned around. I'm throwing a pro level ball and my average has gone up the last three years from a 160 avg. to this year I'm at a 185 avg. I'm throwing the new Motiv Raptor Talon. 15lbs with a 3" pin out. I picked that up about a month ago and have loved it ever since. My old ball (that now sits in my bag most of the time) is a Roto Grip Cell Pearl. It was a great ball, and I threw my highest game (277) and series (707) ever with it.

So am I the only on here that throws in the winter? What do you throw with, best game ever, best series, current avg? :friends:

James

There's a bowling thread out there somewhere.

But yes I started this year. Just have a power groove ball drilled normal. Gonna get a new one drilled finger tipped Friday hopefully.

I actually find a lot of similarities in bowling and golf (and a few in trap even) setting up to throw I have a routine, and if I come across, or in out, or straight, or hammer on it all the same kinda things happen like if I were golfing.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I used to. This is the first season of league I have sat out since I was probably 13..I'm 32. I just kind of got burnt out. I bowled in very competive league, some tournaments, and just got kind of tired getting it handed to me by guys who could afford to go out and get the newest gear every 6 weeks. Just got old. I was averaging over 210 with 4-6 year equipment just because I knew how to play the lanes and read the oil breakdown and I could adjust my release at the bottom of the swing to play up 10 or play coast-to-coast.

I made some money at it, lost some money at, but up till about 3 years ago, I just enjoyed the heck out of it...but then it became like a job, and I hate it now.

There's a bowling thread out there somewhere.

But yes I started this year. Just have a power groove ball drilled normal. Gonna get a new one drilled finger tipped Friday hopefully.

I actually find a lot of similarities in bowling and golf (and a few in trap even) setting up to throw I have a routine, and if I come across, or in out, or straight, or hammer on it all the same kinda things happen like if I were golfing.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

Rhyno,

I started out with a basic ball like your power groove. Once you move to a finger tip throw with a ball that has more movement, you'll be surprised how much your game will improve (once you forearm stops screaming at you for switching). Your right though, golf and bowling are both MAJOR head games. I threw a 266 two weeks ago, and was rolling a perfect game into the 8th frame. It was all I could do to keep the same tempo, speed and throw on the ball with all that adrenaline pumping through my body. The first thing that came into my head...golf. I haven't had that type of feeling since standing on the 18th tee box with a one stroke lead in the last tourny I won in college. Routine, consistant correct motion, hitting your mark...golf is the same way.

Nebraska huh? I've only played a couple of courses in Nebraska. Firethorn in Lincoln, Falls City County Club, and a club in Wahoo (my cousin married a girl from there). Played much golf in Kansas?

James

I used to. This is the first season of league I have sat out since I was probably 13..I'm 32. I just kind of got burnt out. I bowled in very competive league, some tournaments, and just got kind of tired getting it handed to me by guys who could afford to go out and get the newest gear every 6 weeks. Just got old. I was averaging over 210 with 4-6 year equipment just because I knew how to play the lanes and read the oil breakdown and I could adjust my release at the bottom of the swing to play up 10 or play coast-to-coast.

I made some money at it, lost some money at, but up till about 3 years ago, I just enjoyed the heck out of it...but then it became like a job, and I hate it now.

Looks like you and I have a lot in common! ha ha ha I have a feeling this might end up happening to me too. Not that I feel that it's getting to expensive, but when I spend almost $200 to buy a new ball and have it drilled and set up the way I like it. I can't help but think about how I could have got a new fairway wood instead. Our house shot is NEVER consistant on our lanes either. I have a very normal, "old school" 4 step throw with my ball. I've used that my whole life (I'm 33) and won't change. I'm more up to fixing my minor bad habits in my golf game than my bowling game. I haven't been in much tournys with bowling...ever. I'm much more into playing golf, and once the time change happens and it's light longer I don't want to be inside on the alley, I'd rather be outside on the fairways.

James

Rhyno,

I started out with a basic ball like your power groove. Once you move to a finger tip throw with a ball that has more movement, you'll be surprised how much your game will improve (once you forearm stops screaming at you for switching). Your right though, golf and bowling are both MAJOR head games. I threw a 266 two weeks ago, and was rolling a perfect game into the 8th frame. It was all I could do to keep the same tempo, speed and throw on the ball with all that adrenaline pumping through my body. The first thing that came into my head...golf. I haven't had that type of feeling since standing on the 18th tee box with a one stroke lead in the last tourny I won in college. Routine, consistant correct motion, hitting your mark...golf is the same way.

Nebraska huh? I've only played a couple of courses in Nebraska. Firethorn in Lincoln, Falls City County Club, and a club in Wahoo (my cousin married a girl from there). Played much golf in Kansas?

James

I threw a 191 Friday, I used a buddies Vivid, and found two lines I had good results with. One was second from the right dot throwing at the right most diamond, and that was what I was using when I threw the 191 but if you were off to the right it was the gutter. The second line was middle dot throwing at the second from he right diamond, had mixed results but I was getting tired at that time.

Plus he has a bit smaller hands then I do so I kept digging my finger in farther then I should.

I don't have a lot of spin on it yet though.

I haven't golfed many courses, never in Kansas. I'm a pretty high handicap and just that's held me back. I'm actually closer to South Dakota, but kinda out in the boonies.

I am trying to get some THP'ers for an outing in Omaha the april/March there's a thread I'll bump up if your interested in it.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I didnt throw a super high series but did have a 686 on Wednesday. Won all 4 individual points and 2 brackets.

Loving my new Storm Frantic!!!

My go to ball.

Sent from my DROID X2

Looks like you and I have a lot in common! ha ha ha I have a feeling this might end up happening to me too. Not that I feel that it's getting to expensive, but when I spend almost $200 to buy a new ball and have it drilled and set up the way I like it. I can't help but think about how I could have got a new fairway wood instead. Our house shot is NEVER consistant on our lanes either. I have a very normal, "old school" 4 step throw with my ball. I've used that my whole life (I'm 33) and won't change. I'm more up to fixing my minor bad habits in my golf game than my bowling game. I haven't been in much tournys with bowling...ever. I'm much more into playing golf, and once the time change happens and it's light longer I don't want to be inside on the alley, I'd rather be outside on the fairways.

James

Man, sounds like my house, different shot seeming every week depending what end of the house you was one, how much action your pair seen through the day. my favorite night was standing 33 over 20 to 5 with one ball, on the right lane, standing 20 over 10 to 8 with a completely different ball...still shot 670 something for the night, but it was not fun. And then I watch a guy on the same pair shoot 640 basicly dropping the ball at the line throwing the same shot both lanes, with brand new equipment..Its just like wheres the fun in that..it became a very mental grind for me.

I had a lot speed, 18 mph, about 350 revs, 5 step approach. Very power player form, wide open shoulders, late timing, hand and arm really snapping the ball at the bottom.. I got to the piont, where I was like I'm spending 25 a night every week, this one round of golf each week that I could save, plus 200 drilled for a ball twice a season...just got to the point to where it got expensive to stay competitive..

Enjoy though it man, I had a blast with running around the state bowling tournaments and meeting lots of great guys..it can be a very fun sport.

I just won city doubles championship (small town) with my little bro last weekend. I had a 697 (185, 269, 243) and he had ~623. I only have a 185 avg, he has 196 avg, so that's why we won. I'm not sure where we would've finished without HC just yet as I'll look when I'm off and can bowl league night again. I use an Ebonite Signals.

Last edited:
I just started a month or two ago and am up to a 114 average, but I think things are coming around.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

I still got 6 weeks left. Throwing a Storm Frantic & Reign Supreme. Been in a big slump the last month, avg. is down to 197. High game this yr. 279. Best ever a 300. Grew up bowling in Wichita, & I'm a better bowler than golfer

Sent from my DROID X2

I think we have 4 or 5 weeks left. Well I USE to be a better bowler than a golfer. lol Something clicked and golf became "easy" for me (to a degree)...when I could practice more. Now, the game is up and down, but usually in the middle high 70's or low 80's, but when I was on, I was on....same way with bowling. Wichita State's bowling team has always been good, and North Rock lanes seem to have a good house shot.
I've never thrown a 300, nerves mostly I'd say. For some reason, stroking a 15 foot putt I had to have to shoot a 67 came easier.....haven't had a hole-in-one yet either. Both are on my bucket list. 700 series was on my list, and crossed that off last year. I want that 300 and HIO....bad.

I miss bowling. Until my left knee went under the knife a few years ago, I consistently maintained a 195-200 avg.; now it hurts way too much to even think about bowling. Heck, even golf can be an adventure thanks to my knee. Once I get my eventual knee replacement, then I might get back on the lanes.

2 300's, 1 800, 1 298, 1 297, those are all my award scores..

No 8's for me..several 700s. Also had a couple of 290 (11 in a row). Bout a dz. 279s. But of late I can tell ya what 140s-150s are like. :p

Sent from my DROID X2 :banghead:

Shot two 800s in the past three weeks. 843 and a pretty little 807. First game, I had 237 with the last 5 strikes. 300 the second game and had the front 8 the last game. 25 strikes in a row.

Makes two 800s and one 300 this winter.

Still can't touch my high 800. 299, 259, 299. 857 is gonna be tough to best.

its nice being a left handed two hander. Ha.

not sure on what all this bowling talk means. I just throw and watch the pins fly.

Ahh, thats cheating, not 2 handed but the lefty thing. :p

Sent from my DROID X2

Haha.. Too funny. Definitely been in a groove as of late.

I think we've got 6 weeks left. Bowled competitively for 15 years. Had to switch to a lefty 7 years ago and just bowl for fun and the occasional city/state tourny. It took 7 years, but I finally rolled a 300 lefty this past Jan.

:thumbup::beer:
Johnboy

Sent from my DROID X2

Looking at you guys with your 300's and 800 series...switching to left just because and then throwing a 300 lefty....makes me look like a an after shool Little Leaguer when I threw a 615 series last night. lol :bad:

Back