Ben Hogan Precision Milled Putters

Believe I'm going with the BHM01 for the Ben Hogan Experience! What are your thoughts on it and the grip?

radiman,
On the thickness of the blade, top line, or whatever it is called. It is thinner than my Toulon and probably the Cameron Newport versions (going off memory), but same size as my Ping Milled Series Anser 2. The putter head is not as wide, but the length and that top line match the ping style on the BHB03. I'll take a picture later this week.

The bumpers do seem to be the place where changes are often made. Got to be for weight and balance right? Good call high lighting the bumpers. I see what you mean and I'm sure everyone has their own take on it.
HOGAN-PUTTERS-009.jpg

I have noticed the Diamond Black Metal (DBM) finish and the color takes my some of my attention off the putter head. But the cavity cut off the toe here has some depth to it. I've gone both ways on the stealthy look.

Anyways, good stuff radiman and glad you're getting a chance to get out there.

Dang, Datadue. I'm jealous you have played more holes than I have. Glad the putter has made the bag, that's legit.

radiman,
On the thickness of the blade, top line, or whatever it is called. It is thinner than my Toulon and probably the Cameron Newport versions (going off memory), but same size as my Ping Milled Series Anser 2. The putter head is not as wide, but the length and that top line match the ping style on the BHB03. I'll take a picture later this week.

The bumpers do seem to be the place where changes are often made. Got to be for weight and balance right? Good call high lighting the bumpers. I see what you mean and I'm sure everyone had their own take on it.
View attachment 38930

I have noticed the Diamond Black Metal (DBM) finish and the color takes my some of my attention off the putter head. But the cavity cut off the toe here has some depth to it. I've gone both ways on the stealthy look.

Anyways, good stuff radiman and glad you're getting a chance to get out there.

The Milled Anser is a good analogy. This reminded me of that right off the bat. Very similar proportions. The bumpers could very well be just a minor issue that I can easily overcome given a little time. Could very well be a necessity to maintain the balance they were aiming for. The Toe Hang is pretty much identical to the Newport 2 that I currently have. It kind of gives it a blade like appearance while blending with a heel shafted putter. As far as the depth of the head, it's not a huge issue. I am just coming from a couple putters that a bit thicker than this.

I am a big fan of the finish, and I should have mentioned that in the Pros category. I like black clubs. And this is a quality finish.

Believe I'm going with the BHM01 for the Ben Hogan Experience! What are your thoughts on it and the grip?

I’m in the same boat with the putters as I am the irons. Do I go with what’s best for my game or to hell with my game and go with what looks better.

Man, its a damn solid putter, and the choice of the SS grips, while not my preference, hit a lot of peoples 'likes' if that makes sense.

Roll is true, feel is pure with a nice density to it. Sets up really well behind the ball, its as consistent as a PN blade is going to be, and the finish has shown its durability with me even though DBM isn't my favorite look on putters. I will say, it also didn't impact the feel as much as I thought it would (for me, the DBM on the KING Black wedge made them almost harsh, here, none of that).

Love seeing the great reviews so far, can't wait to get a hold of one of these in person in June.

I’m in the same boat with the putters as I am the irons. Do I go with what’s best for my game or to hell with my game and go with what looks better.
I've been wanting to try a mallet. I've always played a blade putter. The Wilson 8802 for 20 years actually! I was about to purchase the Cleveland soft #10 I think. So, these seems to be the perfect chance!

I've been wanting to try a mallet. I've always played a blade putter. The Wilson 8802 for 20 years actually! I was about to purchase the Cleveland soft #10 I think. So, these seems to be the perfect chance!

I really should go with one of the double bend models but that flow neck is so damn sexy. My favorite gamer I’ve ever had was an old TP Mills flow neck. I was lights out with that thing.

I really should go with one of the double bend models but that flow neck is so damn sexy. My favorite gamer I’ve ever had was an old TP Mills flow neck. I was lights out with that thing.

GO FOR IT!

Perfect opportunity to give it a shot!

I think your heart has spoken and the answer is more flowneck.

I'm definitely looking at the BHB01 for my selection right now.

Alright, finally got the BHM01 outside today! Spent a good amount of time on the practice green and here are some thoughts:

From 5 feet and in, this was right on. The feel is soft, and getting it lined up is easy. The balance is great, really makes it easy to take a nice straight back swing, straight through the ball motion. I had a ton of confidence in my stroke from this distance. With my Cleveland blade, I would pull a lot of them left of the hole, mainly due to how the club appeared to line up. I would overcompensate and pull it. The BHM01 is 1" longer than what I was playing, and I think that helps. But looking down at the head gave me confidence too.

Around 10 feet. The feel is good, much softer and muted than what I was used. The soft feel gives me much better feedback too. I can control distances much better. I dont leave it 4 feet short, or 4 feet past. I feel this is the biggest advantage I'm noticing with the BHM01, the consistancy in distance. First 4 putts from 10 feet, one a foot short, one a foot and a half long, the other 2 real tight. All in a good straight line, all easy 2nd putts. This continued the same for most of practice. No putts where you wonder what you would aiming or looking at. The feel is good.

Over 10 feet. I tried some longs putts because I always have them in a round. The soft feel is something I'm still getting used to, so some of the first long putts came up really short, leaving difficult 2nd putts. It takes some time to get used, but once i did I was getting a lot closer. Overall, it just takes time, but by the end I felt really comfortable that I knew the putt would be close.

After some indoor, and outdoor practice time I know this will be replacing my old putter right away in my bag. The feel compared to my old one is so soft, not clicky with random shots not anywhere close. The balance of the mallet is great, allowing me to roll some great putts from all distances. I love the flatso grip. My first SS grip. It fits my hand great, and I'm really happy with my decision to go with it. The black finish outside looked great. No issues there, and it doesn't sound like durability has been an issue with others.

See my recent comments. You should go for it! Plus the head cover looks fantastic!

See my recent comments. You should go for it! Plus the head cover looks fantastic!

If I said the head cover wasn't part of the appeal...I'd be lying!

If I said the head cover wasn't part of the appeal...I'd be lying!

Minority here, and I’m a bit spoiled by the HC quality of what I normally play, but, I wish it was a littler higher quality, I think it’s going to wear faster than I wish it would. But, it is SO clean and classic, totally agree on that.

Minority here, and I’m a bit spoiled by the HC quality of what I normally play, but, I wish it was a littler higher quality, I think it’s going to wear faster than I wish it would. But, it is SO clean and classic, totally agree on that.

This is my first head cover on a putter, so maybe I should have qualified that. I will keep tabs on how it wears, but out of the box it looks good to me.

Yeah, I wouldn't consider it a premium cover by no means...but, the color/design of the mallet cover is nice. Better than the blade in my opinion.

Yeah, I wouldn't consider it a premium cover by no means...but, the color/design of the mallet cover is nice. Better than the blade in my opinion.

The mallet is preeeetty sweet looking.

This is my first head cover on a putter, so maybe I should have qualified that. I will keep tabs on how it wears, but out of the box it looks good to me.

First headcover? It’s a brave new world dude! Haha

Any questions or points of interest regarding the BHB03? I'm planning on getting my main (and probably final) review posted and up next week. The putter and I will still be around these forums, but that is the plan.

My summary will echo much of what I've already said here. I'll add some numbers, attempt a few more pictures, and try to test off-center results some first. But if anyone following has something they'd like feedback on please respond or message.

I did not use the Hogan during my first league game yesterday. I've showed it around some, but other than my father, no one has actually gone out to the putting green and offered useful comments.

Ohh and radiman, I wouldn't sweat the weather or the people. Far as I know, there isn't a due date :D

AWSTYN, what type of putting stroke do you have (sbst, an arc) ? I love the looks of the flow neck. I currently have a plumbers neck and have a sbst putting stroke and am curious if this will be a good fit with the b03 model.

AWSTYN, what type of putting stroke do you have (sbst, an arc) ? I love the looks of the flow neck. I currently have a plumbers neck and have a sbst putting stroke and am curious if this will be a good fit with the b03 model.
Not to speak for AWSTYN,. But, typically the flow neck and even the plumbers neck will be best suited for a slight to strong arc. The toe hang is pretty substantial. Logic says the double bend or mallet would be a better choice. But, of course, every one is different and what works best on paper may not work best for your game.

Have you ever played a flow neck? Maybe try some out at the club or a golf shop.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Not to speak for AWSTYN,. But, typically the flow neck and even the plumbers neck will be best suited for a slight to strong arc. The toe hang is pretty substantial. Logic says the double bend or mallet would be a better choice. But, of course, every one is different and what works best on paper may not work best for your game.

Have you ever played a flow neck? Maybe try some out at the club or a golf shop.

I have a SBST stroke but have always putted better with a flow neck. That’s the crazy thing about putting. There are really no hard rules since it’s mostly feel and confidence, IMO. That double bend blade is growing on me though.

I have a SBST stroke but have always putted better with a flow neck. That’s the crazy thing about putting. There are really no hard rules since it’s mostly feel and confidence, IMO. That double bend blade is growing on me though.
You're right, it all comes down to what the player can use to drain putts. I like the look of it too. I have a slight arc and love the flow neck design. They don't get along with my stroke though. I've had some short success but it never seems to last.

The things that I would change about the BHB01 seem to be incorporated in the double bend. Thicker blade, more symmetrical design. Kind of like a skinnier Odyssey 1W.

Back