Evnroll VS. Directed Force

I like the style of a 9... here is a Mills type 9. But the er8 is an attractive mallet.

Hmmm, here is your January 2019 entry... #9

giphy.gif

I got to try out a Directed Force putter today and check out the specs on it. First it is a toe up putter like some of Edel’s offerings and the aptly named Odyssey Toe Up line, but the balance is more subtle, like almost perfect center balance but then a few grams to the heel-side to make it right. It’s quite nice. Very stable in hand.

It’s made from forged aluminum that is then milled. The face has horizontal grooves like Rife putters, and the head is high moi to help with distance equality on off center hits. Contact is a bit like an old Ping: it gives a bright little tink when you hit it. I prefer a dull click like a Scotty or Evnroll but it’s not bad.

The rep’s 33” model that I used was deceptively heavy. The putter was weighted at E0.5 and total weight was over 600 grams. But it did not feel that heavy. My 33” Evnroll 1.2 is a D3 and feels heavier though it is actually lighter.

The grip was weird though. I liked the sideways orientation of it... like a Flat Cat turned sideways. With no toe weighting it’s hard to feel where the face is pointed, and the thin sideways grip helps you feel where it’s aimed. But they had it set up with a little backwards tilt, which I did not like. That was the weird part. I like my grip to tilt towards the target a couple degrees. I would think you could have that specified in the ordering though.

Also interesting is that they have 3 alignment aid options: a T line, a dot with perpendicular line, and a semicircle. I didn’t go through a fitting to see which I needed—the rep was in the shop to recruit the owner as a new DF dealer, and I just happened to be there when he arrived. (I was getting my putter lie adjusted). But I liked all three. The 33” one I was sampling had the semicircle on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam Scott using a Red Directed Force Reno today ... missed a 5 footer with it - that's when I saw it. Ball did not break as he expected, but aim and speed looked fine.

Next, a long putt is one inch short going dead into hole.

I have a continual battle between my DF and Evnroll ER8 - both about the same swingweight but different tech - DF feels lighter and livelier.

Last edited:
I would love to roll this. It looks unique and is a definite conversation starter and it seems to be dang good putter that I feel I could both line up and hit well. I'll have to look around here for a demo.

So my buddy just ordered a DF and said that people he's talked to are swearing by it. I've been rolling the Evnroll 8.3 and love it. Will be interesting to see what he thinks about it esp. after reading some of the comments in here from the past.

Back