Wilson C300 and C300 Forged Irons

You "Hammered" these irons in Ohio. Looks like your game as really improved.

Thanks Mark!
Right now, I have zero complaints about these irons.

They are exactly what I have been looking for in terms of distance and ball flight.
I foresee these being in the bag for some time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't been able to post much on these irons lately, simply because I had a few weekends without golf. I did play 18 (Par 68) on my home course last Sunday evening, shot my handicap (87) and pleased with the result but I amaze myself how many shots I unnecessarily need extra due to penalties and inconsistency in short game (bunkers especially).

Played 18 holes exec course (par 54) last night with just the C300 SW and putter. Shot two over (56) with two doubles and two birdies, the rest par. The GW is my favorite club because I try to leave my shots to the green at around 100 meters, so I can take full swing with it onto the green. But the SW is becoming a close second.

The lessons are continuing and I will start working more with my pro on the short game and course management. My long game may not quite be there yet but I am feeling comfortable enough with the C300s to just pick a target and go for it.

After 5 rounds with the C300 forged irons, and making the lofts on them to the CBX iron lofts I'm sold.

The feel during the swing, impact feel, high launch and distances I like they are in the bag. With the Winn grips that are lighter than the W/S Lamkin stock grips, that made the swing weight D4.5, all is well.

Confidence is really high with these irons...

I am loving the height I get on these irons, Love the accuracy I’m seeing, and love the predictable distance.

Early on I struggled hitting the set gap wedge, and finding a good distance to use this club at, and I think I’ve found it.
I am getting good results with 3/4 swings from 90 yards.
I say in jest “I hate this club” before hitting it, and usually good results follow, so I keep saying it.
Last week in league, I hit the stick from 92 yards, and put a couple other shots within 10 feet or so.
One of my opponents asked what I was saying before hitting... “I hate this club” I said, his reply was I do too!

Another couple clubs that are getting more and more use for me are the 4 and 5 irons.
Again, I’d like to think the swing is improving, so the results with the long irons are a byproduct of better swings, but I’ve never liked hitting long irons.
I like these a lot, and will hit these instead of fairway woods when laying up on par 5’s and tight tee shots on shorter par 4’s.

I’m looking forward to my round with these later today!

My 4 iron has become my go to club off the tee on holes with tight fairways.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Solid night again with these.
Someone even commented on how high I hit the ball...
Not used to that!

Anyone looking for irons that would help get the ball into the air should consider these irons!

Another round with the forged today. These irons are so solid. I'm swinging easier than I have in a long time, but the distance on the power hole irons is still there. I'm still in love with the size and profile too. I generally don't like chrome irons, but these just look so sexy I'm ready to convert. Paired with the KBS Tour 105s, they give me a nice mid-launch with a piercing trajectory.

The gap wedge is almost cheating for me....
Holed out from 95 today.

Man... I hate this club!

The gap wedge is almost cheating for me....
Holed out from 95 today.

Man... I hate this club!

The C200 gap wedge was a weapon for me. It got me my first eagle. Can’t imagine the 300 GW being any different.

+1 on the gap wedge.... I broke 90 yesterday with two blow-up holes (triples). Very confident in my iron play, these days I use irons off the tee more often than not. I also find myself taking two iron shots (9i + P, or 8i + G) instead of a wood that goes into the trees. Still lots of work to do but there is progress and progress is fun. C300s are killing it for me!

I have a set of these on the way. Cast. Will be interesting to compare them to my 2 other sets. C200 and F7

Your c200 to c300 cast will be interesting. I am hitting my c200's brilliantly. I'd swear at times that the club straightens shots. Like when I pull one and in comes back right without showing much spin. Having only seen the c300 in a store, I could not see much difference vs c200. Now the forged is a different animal.

Has anyone done any direct comparisons with the i200? Lateral forgiveness comparison?

Has anyone done any direct comparisons with the i200? Lateral forgiveness comparison?

You won’t see any significant differences in forgiveness until you get to the extreme toe/heel portion of the face.

Wilson brings the C300 and C300 Forged and THPers were the first in the country to put these irons (both sets) into play. This thread will serve as host for all of the thoughts, reviews, feedback and conversation about these new irons.

The Wilson C300 irons utilize the Power Hole construction in introduced in the D300 line in a Crossover player profile. FLX Face technology has carried over from the C200 line as well to maximize ball speed at impact. Designed to bridge the gap between the D300 line the C300 Forged, it gives consumers a more playable, but extremely forgiving option. THPers in #THPStaff Proto have been playing them for a month now as well and can probably give some great feedback. Feel free to ask questions as well.

The Wilson C300 Forged irons are one of two new sets Wilson is bringing to market in January 2018. Some THPers got an early look and have been playing them since the #THPStaffProto event in Las Vegas. As you can see, Wilson has incorporated Power Hole technology, combining it with the feel and finish of a forged iron. The Power Holes differ in this line the the standard C300 in that they are only on the sole of the club, versus the C300 on the entire perimeter. FLX Face technology has carried over from the C200 line as well to maximize ball speed at impact. I am sure a few THPers will share their thoughts as well as answer any questions you may have.

What do you think?

Have had the c300 Forged,5-gw,KBS. Flt 110 R for one week. These are my 48th set of irons since 1975 so I have a lot to compare to. Four trips to range and two rounds and very impressed with total playability and weaker lofts didn’t reduce distance to any big extent. Maybe not quite as long as my Hot Metals but probably equal to my 545s if I recollect.
Without question to my eyes the best looking irons that still allow some forgiveness and decent distance. Love shinny irons and always have.

Solid day with these yesterday!

Playing partner was so impressed he is going to look at a set.

Got around to trying these yesterday. I've had my fair share of Wilson Staff irons in the past. These are by far the best combination of looks feeling and distance. Put these up against the p790 and Titleist tmb. All fantastic irons. Wilson did a great job with these. Thoroughly impressed!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Got around to trying these yesterday. I've had my fair share of Wilson Staff irons in the past. These are by far the best combination of looks feeling and distance. Put these up against the p790 and Titleist tmb. All fantastic irons. Wilson did a great job with these. Thoroughly impressed!

Did you hit the Forged?

Yup I only hit the forged c300. Not the regular c300

No need to, the Forged are beauties and only slightly less forgiving IMHO.

No need to, the Forged are beauties and only slightly less forgiving IMHO.
yeah they were really nice. They were right in line and on par with the p790. Could barely tell the difference between the two as far as performance was concerned. The tmb weren't far behind either but the shortest out of the bunch by a few yards.

Have you been able to put down comparison thoughts between the forged and cast?

Its taken me a little while to get enough rounds where I'm ready to compare, but the time has come!

C300 vs. C300 Forged - SMACKDOWN!

C300:

dLZRuGj.jpg

(not my images)

Pros
:
- Tons of tech, this head is packed with forgiveness and explosive distance. The face is like a rocket launcher. Has a bit of trampoline feel on some hits. Very hot face.
- Forgiving toe to heel, high to low on the face. You still have to put a good swing on the ball, but less than perfect contact still produces shots that travel far and generally straight.
- Straight all day. Who doesn't love straight shots?
- Turf interaction is nice and clean.
- Impact feel is "soft". Reminds me a bit of my Ping G10s I had a few years ago. Made of 8620 carbon steel to give it that soft feel.
- The graphite shafts (fujikura) were nice and smooth, and perfectly paired with the design of the heads for a very attractive package.
- Very competitive price.

Cons:
- Hot face can lead to flyers sometimes. Once in a while you'll rocket one over the green. In other words, distance accuracy might suffer some.
- Workability - these clubs are designed to go straight. Fewer chances for creativity if you want it.
- Slightly larger head than I prefer.
- A little more offset than I prefer, but in line with offerings from other OEMs in this category.
- Top line with power holes - not for everyone. While I got used to it pretty quickly, I still prefer the look of a traditional top line.
- I asked for graphite shafts because I hadn't played them in a while. This is a personal point for me, but I learned I prefer a heavier feeling steel shaft to graphite.

C300 Forged:

851pvxa.jpg

Pros
:
- The head is sexxxxxy. It really is a beautiful iron. Got a lot of compliments on them.
- Still quite a bit of tech packed into the head, although not as much as the C300 version. Power holes add extra distance on the longer irons. No power holes on the 9, PW or GW (I don't have the GW in this set).
- Still a very forgiving head, although not as much forgiveness in the toe and heel region compared to the C300. Shots high on the face suffer more distance loss than the C300.
- Straight AND workable. Nice mix of both. When I'm going for straight, boy are they straight. When I need a 5 yard draw (and can put the right swing on it), 5 yard draw is the result. I hit an awesome 5 yard draw yesterday with the 8 iron from about 145 that landed pin high and rolled out 2-3 feet.
- Turf interaction is nice and clean. Slices through the fairway when taking a slight divot, can power through when more spin is needed.
- Impact feel is more "solid", but not harsh. You can feel the muscle behind the club when you hit it on the button. Its a different feeling than my Apex CF16, where the ball feels like it melts when you hit it in the center. Both feels are satisfying, however.
- KBS 105s feel really well paired with these irons. Smooth loading and release.
- No power holes on the top line. Very clean and classic looking at address. Not a tone of offset, which looks good to my eye.
- Very competitive price.

Cons:
- Hardly any.
- Less of a distance iron than the C300, so I sometimes miss the explosiveness of the 4 and 5 irons. Maybe 2-5 yards shorter than the C300 per iron.
- Wasn't in love with the chrome, but its actually grown on my quite a bit. So not really a con...?
- Hard to find locally. Outside of PGASS, I haven't seen them in Vegas. Obviously that's a larger issue for W/S, not just these irons.

Some Head-to-Head Data:

- C300 have slightly stronger lofts (2* I think) than the C300 Forged.
- Power hole configuration on the two models is slightly different. Both have two rows of power holes, but the regular C300 has a larger power hole in the center of the sole of the club, allowing more flex in the face and therefore more distance. The C300 Forged has 3 equally sized power holes in the sole I recall the W/S folks explaining that the forged metal was too soft to support the larger power hole so they couldn't include it.
- C300 Forged will spin more than the C300. I have seen some comparisons that show more than 1000 RPM differences on a 7 iron, for example.
- Generally speaking I think the C300 will launch a bit higher, while the C300 has more of a mid-launch, piercing flight (heavily influenced by shaft choice, of course).

0vXbwlI.jpg

iKDDFRC.jpg

My choice between the two is obviously the Forged. I just prefer the feel, look, size and workability that the C300 Forged provides over the C300 (but sometimes I miss the explosive distance of the C300). Doesn't hurt that they are one of the best-looking irons I have seen come out in the last 2 years.

Any questions, let me know and I'll try to answer them.

Last edited:
Great review bud! Glad you got to put them head to head over the past few months. Nicely done

Back