Callaway MD4 Wedges

i had a fantastic session chipping and pitching with the md4 today. i still freak out a little opening it with such a straight leading edge, but if i trust it, it's pretty insane how high and soft this thing can go even at 54*. the forgiveness in the w grind had me looking like a pro hitting some super short game shots.

my mind can't help but wander to what wedges might be available for testing later this year. but so far the md4 is growing on me fast.

Just wanted to say that I'm in love with my MD4 S grind wedges! I have 3 rounds in with them and a few practice sessions. I have hit more good bunker shots in 3 rounds than in 2 full years with my RTX3's. I just didn't get along with those wedges and kept thinking that it was me, not the wedge. I honestly believe this was one of those rare situations where it was the arrow, not the Indian. Anyone that saw me in the practice bunker at the Orlando gathering can vouch for this. I literally couldn't get a ball on the green. This is a night and day difference.

The renewed confidence I have from all lies is unbelievable. Pitches from tight lies used to be my nemesis, but now I can confidently hit them high or low. It's just crazy how good these have been for me.

I took mine out of my bag for winter as they can dig when it’s supersoft.

Now back in and what a difference they make in control, spin and playability.

The 58* is my staple and the 64* just when I need it, the last round I used it twice for stupid flop shots over bunkers to a tight pin from about 25-30 yards, hit to within 2 feet on both. A magic club with an open face, went much higher than it did long.

Both shots brought a massive smile to my face.

I've been quite surprised by the amount of spin I get with these around the green. I've had to start playing my shots to land closer to the hole to allow for the shorter amount of rollout. It's a bit of an adjustment but I'm really glad they can get the ball to stop quickly.

I've been quite surprised by the amount of spin I get with these around the green. I've had to start playing my shots to land closer to the hole to allow for the shorter amount of rollout. It's a bit of an adjustment but I'm really glad they can get the ball to stop quickly.

I love that about these wedges. I hit these real low chips that come in hot, making my buddies think I chipped over the green, ball checks beautifully and rolls slowly towards the hole.

With my first go-round with these, I didn't play a higher lofted wedge, so it's been fun getting some time in with the 58 S grind. Bunkers were hard packed after a bunch of rain, so it was a good chance to work with that club out of the traps today. I've always had issues skipping into the ball/skulling it over the green but had good results out of two bunkers today. Both went a little bit long, but I had an outside chance to save par.

Maybe even more than the irons it's been a bit of an adjustment period getting used to the lighter wedge shafts, but it's starting to come together. I've been working on hitting partial shots with one club up instead of going all out with high lofted wedges, and saw some really great results there today - stuck two pretty close with the 48 from just about 100.

Looking down at the ball, I still think these are my all time favorite wedge shape.

Loving my 54* MD4 and just put on my first coat of paints on the ports
d3ccd8129b9a35c45a2ce518f37e619a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My raw 52 and 58 degree wedges show up tomorrow and I cannot wait!

It has been a number of years since i really loved a wedge, usually i find something that works decent, put in the bad for a few years, then after time try something new. I Picked up a 54 S and 58 W on the last Callaway pre-owned sale, about 60.00 a piece. I will say now in the last 3 range sessions, i have been very impressed, and i will get first three rounds of the year this week with a trip to Ocean City. It has been a while but i really like everything i have seen and i like that Red Dynamic S200 shaft.

Yesterday the chipping and approach game was very strong which also included a chip in for birdie.

One regret I had was trying to hit the 54* 102 yards into the wind, this is my 100 yard club. As soon as I hit it I pleaded for it to "GO" and it landed short in the bunker.

I dropped another ball and hit my Apex AW only for it to land 10 feet behind the pin for a look at par, argh.

Grabbed the 58* for the ensuing bunker shot and landed it left about 12 feet. Drained the bogey putt. Fist pump.

With my first go-round with these, I didn't play a higher lofted wedge, so it's been fun getting some time in with the 58 S grind. Bunkers were hard packed after a bunch of rain, so it was a good chance to work with that club out of the traps today. I've always had issues skipping into the ball/skulling it over the green but had good results out of two bunkers today. Both went a little bit long, but I had an outside chance to save par.

Maybe even more than the irons it's been a bit of an adjustment period getting used to the lighter wedge shafts, but it's starting to come together. I've been working on hitting partial shots with one club up instead of going all out with high lofted wedges, and saw some really great results there today - stuck two pretty close with the 48 from just about 100.

Looking down at the ball, I still think these are my all time favorite wedge shape.

Do I remember you having an X grind in hand the last time we played?

i hit some pretty bada$$ bunker shots with my 54 the last time out. i didn't get up and down, but i hit high quality shots. one was a longer shot, maybe 25-30 yards that i played a little more square faced, and it came out great. the other i just grabbed the wrong club but was too lazy to change. greenside, pretty much pin high, but toward the back of the bunker. ball was a little below my feet, ball a little on a downslope of sand. sand was pretty firm. my thought was to stay very stable with my lower body, open the face, and swing fast through the sand to generate spin. the ball went about 15' past the pin, but stopped on a dime. all things considered, it was a helluva shot.

i really dig this wedge. i got over the feel pretty quickly. my only issue remains the very straight leading edge. i want something more rounded to give me confidence in opening the face. other than that, it's really solid.

Boy, I think I need to get some lead tape on my 56* really soon. I'm having some pretty big struggles so far. I've been enjoying the amount of spin I'm able to get but the head just isn't as heavy as I like and I can't feel it in my swing around the green line I prefer. It's causing since problems and I need to fix that. I hate to cover up the port holes because I think it looks great but I need the weight.

Boy, I think I need to get some lead tape on my 56* really soon. I'm having some pretty big struggles so far. I've been enjoying the amount of spin I'm able to get but the head just isn't as heavy as I like and I can't feel it in my swing around the green line I prefer. It's causing since problems and I need to fix that. I hate to cover up the port holes because I think it looks great but I need the weight.

Hey man what about taking the head off and adding some tip weight to it to help raise the swingweight? Let’s you keep the clean look of the MD4 and helps with the weight.

First 3 rounds in the books for my 54S and 58W MD4 wedges, and i am VERY impressed, my game over all was just average, but my wedges, and chipping which sometimes can be one of my weaknesses became a strength for me.

Hopefully a little more tape helps out.

0eb8a7a9285fe58ba8a6a7098de6d319.jpg

The 58* saved me so much last round, like a lot. Iron game wasn't sharp with distances but I always grabbed my 58* to chip up and save Par/Bogey. I had 7 Par saves, 9 one-putts.

Didn't have an opportunity to use the 54* much but I did try it one time from like 85 yards out. I tried to play a knockdown and instead landed it about 10 yards short of the green, not a shot I'm comfortable with yet.

I practiced the entire time Sunday from 30-50 yards with my 58* and it translated into my round the following day.

Scrambling!!

They finally put sand back in the bunkers at the home course, and I remembered how much I love these out of the traps. Even though the sand is new and soft, it’s not super deep, so the S grind worked just perfect for me when I had to get out of the trap today.

It’s taken a while to get used to the lighter weight of the Modus 105 shafts in the wedges but they’re starting to click around the green. Still struggling on those 50-75 yard pitches but I think that’s setup more than anything else.

The PM grind is such a fun club. My 54 produced a near hole out from the fairway near the green yesterday and I love how dependable these bad boys are. This shot made me happy.
962bf7785d83fd81062671f207acf198.jpg

The course I played yesterday didn't have many bunkers but honestly I wish it did. I had a great swing day yesterday (for the most part) and these just continue to give me great chances on the greens.

Little half swing 54* from 55 yards to 1 foot for par. Really bailed me out on a tough hole. I'm so much more comfortable with these shots than with my RTX3's

Funny situation on back to back holes, ironically enough I had 88 yards for both approach shots. The first was a front pin, the next was a back pin.

First situation I thought about my 54* because that is my 100 yard club. Instead I opted for the AW but gripped down to not hit it as far, it still went to the back of the green. Didn't fully trust the 54* but I should've hit that.

Very next hole on a Par 5 I had 88 yards. I said I'm not going to make the same mistake again, especially with a forest behind the green. I opted for the 54* and landed it safely in the middle for a look at birdie. 2 putt Par and walked off.

Comes down to trust. Plus I get way more spin with the MD4.

Chipping with the 58* was strong. No chunks or blades at all, great day overall.

Found 4 greenside bunkers this weekend. 2 Saturday 2 Sunday. Sandy Par for $10 on Saturday. Sandy Birdie yesterday for a circle on the scorecard.

My bunker game has improved immensely. I now look further behind the ball than I typically do and it’s easy to get the Ball out onto the green. I opened the face a bit if i was short sided and squared it up if the flag was far.

Still need to groove a full swing with both MD4s but around the greens for chipping they are great.

I finally hit these for the first time tonight and am pondering picking up a pair. Lots of spin on partial wedge shots and was able to hit the distance I was looking for.

i’m going to put my 54 w grind in timeout for a bit. but i want to be clear that it’s all my fault.

i did some short game practice yesterday at a different area than i normally go. it’s less grainy and better maintained, which made for much better testing conditions.

i took my 54w, my 58 pm 19, and my 56 i received in last year’s morgan cup. all 3 have mcc+4 grips. the callaway clubs are both d4 swingweight. the md4 has kbs hi rev 2.0 (125g i think), and the pm19 has stock kbs hi rev 2.0 (115g i think). the 56 has dg s200, and i would peg sw around d1-d2 but i don’t know for sure (setup is stock, and per website the sw on stock is d5 but with the heavier mcc+4 grip i think it’s lower).

my struggle with both clubs has been very inconsistent bottom of the arc. some completely duffed chunks, some blades. then some perfectly pure shots. and it’s been frustrating.

i went with the w grind in the 54 because several years ago i was fit into that grind, and i loved it. but now, it’s been a struggle. it doesn’t feel right through impact on chips and pitches. the turf interaction feels harsh rather than effortless. bounce is 12*.

my 56 from last year has a grind that is billed as a thinner sole with higher bounce for all conditions, ideally for a player with a medium to shallow aoa. 12* of bounce.

and yesterday i saw the same. very inconsistent bottom of the arc, and less than ideal turf interaction with md4. i switched the md4 out and 56 in, and saw an immediate improvement. pretty much whatever shot i wanted to hit, i could.

i did this throughout the course of an hour, and the results pretty much stayed the same the whole time. great shots with the 56, inconsistency with the 54.

so for now i’m going to sub the 56 back in, and put the 54 on the sidelines. going into the grandaddy, i’m going to be conscious of the sole width. i seem to prefer a medium to narrow sole, but still with plenty of bounce. maybe s grind or x grind. i am really looking forward to the guys at ecpc finding the perfect setup for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

i’m going to put my 54 w grind in timeout for a bit. but i want to be clear that it’s all my fault.

i did some short game practice yesterday at a different area than i normally go. it’s less grainy and better maintained, which made for much better testing conditions.

i took my 54w, my 58 pm 19, and my 56 i received in last year’s morgan cup. all 3 have mcc+4 grips. the callaway clubs are both d4 swingweight. the md4 has kbs hi rev 2.0 (125g i think), and the pm19 has stock kbs hi rev 2.0 (115g i think). the 56 has dg s200, and i would peg sw around d1-d2 but i don’t know for sure (setup is stock, and per website the sw on stock is d5 but with the heavier mcc+4 grip i think it’s lower).

my struggle with both clubs has been very inconsistent bottom of the arc. some completely duffed chunks, some blades. then some perfectly pure shots. and it’s been frustrating.

i went with the w grind in the 54 because several years ago i was fit into that grind, and i loved it. but now, it’s been a struggle. it doesn’t feel right through impact on chips and pitches. the turf interaction feels harsh rather than effortless. bounce is 12*.

my 56 from last year has a grind that is billed as a thinner sole with higher bounce for all conditions, ideally for a player with a medium to shallow aoa. 12* of bounce.

and yesterday i saw the same. very inconsistent bottom of the arc, and less than ideal turf interaction with md4. i switched the md4 out and 56 in, and saw an immediate improvement. pretty much whatever shot i wanted to hit, i could.

i did this throughout the course of an hour, and the results pretty much stayed the same the whole time. great shots with the 56, inconsistency with the 54.

so for now i’m going to sub the 56 back in, and put the 54 on the sidelines. going into the grandaddy, i’m going to be conscious of the sole width. i seem to prefer a medium to narrow sole, but still with plenty of bounce. maybe s grind or x grind. i am really looking forward to the guys at ecpc finding the perfect setup for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think the shaft plays a big part of the equation for you with the 54*. 125g is closer to x flex

Back