Callaway MD4 Wedges

First day of golfing in the 2017 Grandaddy at the Hideaway I noticed a real clicky noise between the MD4 and 2017 CS when chipping. I even mentioned it to Jason Finley on Thursday Morning.

You really notice it when go to Forged Wedge like the NL or Mizuno S19. The sound and feel so much “Sweeter”

I had the 4’s for a while and didn’t notice any real clicks feedback, not near as much as the KING Black at least.

Out of curiosity, for those that think they feel clicky....were you playing the chromes? I’ve had MD4’s for a year, in black, and they don’t seem clicky to me. I’m wondering how much of a difference the finish makes.

I'll concede that the MD4 definitely have a click compared to the forged Hogan TK15s I was playing previously.
Not enough to bother me in any way personally, but its there.

Out of curiosity, for those that think they feel clicky....were you playing the chromes? I’ve had MD4’s for a year, in black, and they don’t seem clicky to me. I’m wondering how much of a difference the finish makes.
I've noticed a big difference between the chrome finish (clicky) and the tactical PVD finish.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

chrome

I had the 4’s for a while and didn’t notice any real clicks feedback, not near as much as the KING Black at least.

for me, king black is firm but not clicky. i have come to crave the feel of the king black. based on today i would send back the md4 if i could, and trade it for another pm grind. it was that bad to my ear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chrome

for me, king black is firm but not clicky. i have come to crave the feel of the king black. based on today i would send back the md4 if i could, and trade it for another pm grind. it was that bad to my ear.

We will def have to agree to disagree there.

We will def have to agree to disagree there.

you don’t agree? well now i hate you. #interneting

i was definitely odd man out on the king black wedge feel. just resonates with me. these md4 though. ewwwww

More just curious if that changes the pitch for you than anything

don’t let it get to your head, but i think you’re right THIS time. replaced snell mtb with pro v1 and the sound was much improved. worse sound is out toward the toe, but out of the middle it was more tolerable. nowhere near as rewarding and pleasant as the pm 19, but not as distracting.

at 54 instead of 56, it presents as much more of a straight faced delivery than something i want to open up. i used to rely heavily on my 56 and only go to 60 when i had to, but i think i’ll be going pm 19 more often than the md4 if i need much elevation.

For some reason I'm having some problems with full shots with these. I either hit them fat or skull them. I wonder if it is a matter of getting used to having graphite shafts in them instead of the typical wedge/S300 steel shafts. I'll get it figured out eventually, I guess.

For some reason I'm having some problems with full shots with these. I either hit them fat or skull them. I wonder if it is a matter of getting used to having graphite shafts in them instead of the typical wedge/S300 steel shafts. I'll get it figured out eventually, I guess.

I got the KBS Tour V in mine, really good with the MD4. Just a recommendation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a 52 I just got and was having issue getting it to go straight. I finally got a bunch of nice straight hits yesterday before the round. I really have no explanation on why it was giving me so much trouble.

finally got some full swings in with this today. i have no idea how far away the target was, if i had to guess somewhere around 80-90 yards. but however far it was, i was all over it. the w grind shined out of the crappy dirt and weeds at my local range. and i got into a really nice rhythm with this club. i didn't mind the feel at all, so either i'm already growing accustomed to the click, or it's not as noticeable on full swings. either way i loved what i saw out of this wedge tonight.

For those that have gamed the NL M-Type Wedge, which MD4 Grind would match that M Grind? C, X or S?

Adding @Jman to see if he has any input.

Fresh new wedges
0dc2dd950309f6193a7ee06f8a09322b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

this md4 54 is growing on me. i don’t get the click at all anymore, which probably says more about how easy it is to adapt to something new. or i was just wrong haha

either way, this wedge is reminding me how much i love the w grind. wide sole with some camber and high-ish bounce. you don’t have to be as precise with contact and still get a great result.

i’m happy with my choice. only tweak i’m thinking is maybe going 0.5-1* flat. i’m noticing good chips are leaving marks toward the heel. thinking a lie angle change may help that.

For those that have gamed the NL M-Type Wedge, which MD4 Grind would match that M Grind? C, X or S?

Adding @Jman to see if he has any input.

Never gamed them Mark, but pictures it looks like heel relief with some healthy bounce numbers. C grind on the MD4s will be less bounce than that, but have the heel relief. If you're going for a higher loft, the X grind might be the ticket. If it's lower, you might have to choose between heel relief or bounce if you want to stick with the MD4s. PM Grind could be another option, but will come down to personal preference there.

Never gamed them Mark, but pictures it looks like heel relief with some healthy bounce numbers. C grind on the MD4s will be less bounce than that, but have the heel relief. If you're going for a higher loft, the X grind might be the ticket. If it's lower, you might have to choose between heel relief or bounce if you want to stick with the MD4s. PM Grind could be another option, but will come down to personal preference there.

Thanks Jon, I brought out my Grandaddy MD4 54* after hitting the Mizuno S19 during the winter and I just like the weight and the feel of the MD4 a little better.
I get my PM Grind today and plan to hit the dome tonight. I like the heel relief that I got from the NL.
Let's see if the PM Grind gives me what I need.

Read a statistic from one of these Ball Speed Blitz that this is the best selling wedge in Callaway history. #2 wedge on the PGA Tour.

I've really enjoyed the wedges since I've gotten them. I've only replaced the 58* to a brand new wedge this past February and having the fresh grooves is fun.

Full swing I can now get about 80-85 yards out of the 58* when a year ago I would max out at around 70-75, so that's nice. The 54* anytime I had 100-110 I'd opt for the AW but now I am able to harness this club on full swings and get more spin in the process.

One of the shots I'm trying to add is the bounce-bounce-stop with the 58*. Or just a minimal rollout. I tried it 4 times last weekend on a peach of a golf course with perfect greens and lush fairways. My contact was great, grass stains and dimples in the middle of the face, but I just couldn't get the ball to check. I'd hit my spot, but it would roll off to the fringe, not terrible but I just want to be able to use this more and stick it closer to the pin.

S-Grind all the way!

Read a statistic from one of these Ball Speed Blitz that this is the best selling wedge in Callaway history. #2 wedge on the PGA Tour.

I've really enjoyed the wedges since I've gotten them. I've only replaced the 58* to a brand new wedge this past February and having the fresh grooves is fun.

Full swing I can now get about 80-85 yards out of the 58* when a year ago I would max out at around 70-75, so that's nice. The 54* anytime I had 100-110 I'd opt for the AW but now I am able to harness this club on full swings and get more spin in the process.

One of the shots I'm trying to add is the bounce-bounce-stop with the 58*. Or just a minimal rollout. I tried it 4 times last weekend on a peach of a golf course with perfect greens and lush fairways. My contact was great, grass stains and dimples in the middle of the face, but I just couldn't get the ball to check. I'd hit my spot, but it would roll off to the fringe, not terrible but I just want to be able to use this more and stick it closer to the pin.

S-Grind all the way!

I'm obsessed with these wedges, and with CPO's ridiculous sales, I've added a 50* and 64* too--the latter just for funzies. I had a chrome set last year, bought a tactical set too (SW/LW for both), and then this year replaced the chrome with the black finish. I've always been a 60* guy around the greens, but I'm really starting to enjoy my 54*. First round out this year, my swing was dog **it, and so my only highlights were the low spinny chips with my 54, which were routinely settling into tap-in range. Very fun wedges in all facets.

S-Grind all the way!

80-85 is about what I got out of my 60˚ on full swings. I've moved to the PM Grind, but still keeping the MD4 60˚ in the stable in case I decide to go back. Still gaming my MD4 54˚ though and have zero plans to move it. As far as traditional wedges go, these are about as good as it gets for me. I tried the RTX-4 but was back within a month to these wedges. Fresh grooves on these things are dangerous for sure.

80-85 is about what I got out of my 60˚ on full swings. I've moved to the PM Grind, but still keeping the MD4 60˚ in the stable in case I decide to go back. Still gaming my MD4 54˚ though and have zero plans to move it. As far as traditional wedges go, these are about as good as it gets for me. I tried the RTX-4 but was back within a month to these wedges. Fresh grooves on these things are dangerous for sure.
Yeah I had my experiment of the CBX 54* for a few months last year but as yo said, traditional look and performance, it's tough to top this wedge.

Yesterday I finally trusted the 95-105 shot with my 54* after the first hole I flew a AW 110 out from the fairway behind the green. So from that point forward I told myself to trust the 54*. More spin on these approaches, stuck two of them to inside 7 feet. Inconsistent with the 58* on those 50 yard shots but overall the contact is way more consistent. Just need to control distances a little better.

I've been surprised how much I've liked my MD4 so far after playing Cleveland wedges for so many years. They may feel a little more firm than what I'm used to but I've been seeing some pretty impressive spin and the S grind has been really versatile from a bunch of different lies. I had a nice little chip in on Friday from the fringe where I was able to get the ball to check quickly and then release slightly and go in to the hole.

Prior to going to the Grandaddy I was playing a mis match set of wedges. Having a set of MD4s in the bag and getting rid of a set Gap wedge has made a big difference al ready. Excited to see where these wedges take my game this year.

CPO has such a great deal on these that I convinced a buddy of mine to pick up a set too. He almost has a full Callaway bag now!

Back