Ben Hogan Equalizer Wedges

OhioGolfer;n8890965 said:
These wedges are amazing and so easy to hit, I don't know how they will ever get beat out of my bag.

Agreed!

OhioGolfer;n8890965 said:
These wedges are amazing and so easy to hit, I don't know how they will ever get beat out of my bag.

I have posted several times in this thread that I will keep buying them as long as they keep making them.

Reading this daily makes me wish I would've bought these instead of the Mizuno's I did buy. I waited a couple months for them to have the demo wedges in with shafts that I wanted to try with no luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chipping and wedge play in general used to be my least confident portion of my game. I just never felt comfortable or had the confidence to fire at the pin. After receiving these wedges at the Hogan Experience, it did not take long at all to get comfortable with them. The 50* quickly became a favorite to use. Since then, the confidence has grown and now my wedge play is the most consistent it has ever been. Plenty have said it before and I would agree, these wedges are almost "point and shoot" at your target. As an added bonus, they are a great looking club with excellent feel. If you get the opportunity, try one, do so, you will not be disappointed!

Just absolutely killing these wedges right now. I've always had a hard time finding a feel for distance and accuracy in my shortgame, but I really feel like I can go at the hole with confidence. Definitely in close competition with the PTX for the best surprise in the Hogan lineup!

This is one of the real stars of the Ben Hogan lineup right now and very under thought of.
These wedges are seriously good. They really promote clean contact and because of that, I am getting fantastic spin around the greens.

JB;n8896151 said:
This is one of the real stars of the Ben Hogan lineup right now and very under thought of.
These wedges are seriously good. They really promote clean contact and because of that, I am getting fantastic spin around the greens.

Exactly, they really have a solid design. Between the PTX Pros and these I have become a big fan of the Hogan irons!

My round today was a great testament to how good these wedges are. Terrible ball striking day with only hitting 4 of 18 GIRs but still shot a +3 75. Putting was unbelievable, especially for me, but all the made putts would not have been possible if it were not for the chip shots with the 54 and 58 degree wedges putting me in position to save a lot of pars.

JB;n8896151 said:

Do these go unnoticed because Ben Hogan Golf is a small brand or because they don't offer any grind options...people assume they're not as good?

J.B. Cobb III;n8896190 said:
Do these go unnoticed because Ben Hogan Golf is a small brand or because they don't offer any grind options...people assume they're not as good?

Not trying to answer for JB but I think it's a combination of things. I think direct sales limits their exposure to the masses. I think that they aren't "tour" star utilized. They aren't reviewed by a ton of places, and because of direct sales they aren't in retail stores nor are they on a lot of fitter's tables. Quality is clearly not the issue, I think it'sits lack of awareness, and lack of a spotlight.
???

Last edited:
J.B. Cobb III;n8896190 said:

Wedges are personal and not being able to try them has an impact.

Grind and sole options do play a role in certain aspects. There are lots of good wedges out there and some companies offer a large amount of options.

JB;n8896241 said:

Grind and sole options do play a role in certain aspects. There are lots of good wedges out there and some companies offer a large amount of options.

Seeing that these perform so well with one grind option, is grind option really an over blown option? I kind of look at wedge grind as a Internet golfer feature. Yes, I'm sure there is some benefit that <10% of golfers are going to discern but most wouldn't be able to.

JB;n8896241 said:

But they can try them! $20 to test them in real playing condition, on your own course(s) isn’t easy to do with other manufacturers. I think it’s still an exposure issue. I love mine, and I’ve been looking for the perfect wedges for YEARS.

gbtrsc;n8896290 said:
But they can try them! $20 to test them in real playing condition, on your own course(s) isn’t easy to do with other manufacturers. I think it’s still an exposure issue. I love mine, and I’ve been looking for the perfect wedges for YEARS.

The lay golfer doesn’t jump through hoops. Hence the reason Dicks is still the largest golf retailer. Convenience.

And depending on your area, you can do that with every brand with “playability guarantees” from large stores. None of that costs $20 or takes days to get to you.

Then add in demo days, fitting centers, etc and it shapes the market place.

We wanted to take that further on this community so created an event platform to give golfers the equipment and let them tell the store and are doing it 5 times this year (6 if you count the ultimate weekend of golf that will have them present).

Initial thoughts on the equalizer wedges are pretty positive.

Full shots I felt very comfortable over on the range. Really easy to hit. Where I felt I was missing something was around the greens. The sole seems a little wider than my RTX-4’s and seems like more bounce. I didn’t feel as comfortable opening the face and hitting chips like I do with the Cleveland’s. The spin was fine, always love those fresh grooves though.

I didn’t hit any sand shots but I bet these are awesome given the bounce and sole of the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Odd.... for me chipping and pitching are where these really shine. To each their own I guess.

gbtrsc;n8897430 said:
Odd.... for me chipping and pitching are where these really shine. To each their own I guess.

I like the lower bounce I get with my current wedges as it makes it easy to open the face. I wasn’t saying that these were bad there, just an initial observation.

e1iterate;n8897422 said:
Initial thoughts on the equalizer wedges are pretty positive.

Full shots I felt very comfortable over on the range. Really easy to hit. Where I felt I was missing something was around the greens. The sole seems a little wider than my RTX-4’s and seems like more bounce. I didn’t feel as comfortable opening the face and hitting chips like I do with the Cleveland’s. The spin was fine, always love those fresh grooves though.

I didn’t hit any sand shots but I bet these are awesome given the bounce and sole of the club.

Full shots are my favorite with these wedges. They are very easy to hit and I get optimal height with minimal rollout on the greens.

gbtrsc;n8897430 said:

It's a strength for me as well, but everyone has a different feel for what they expect.

I'm really starting to get into a groove with these wedges. My distances are starting to work themselves out, and chipping around the green has improved drastically since my first round out with them.

60 yards uphill, 60* equalizer. Deuce.
27881456877ce7759a4ab763f73a63e3.jpg

gbtrsc;n8902575 said:
60 yards uphill, 60* equalizer. Deuce.
27881456877ce7759a4ab763f73a63e3.jpg

Awesome! I have put in a few from decent distance out since putting these awesome wedges into play about 15 months ago.

Played the other day and these wedges were absolutely "scoring" for me. I can't say enough good things about them on full swing shots. I used to have a bad miss of blading with my RTX3, I have yet to blade a single wedge on a full shot with these. Second hole of the day from 105 out I stuck one to 3 feet to set up an easy birdie. The black finish is holding up very nicely as well, will get some pictures up soon as well.

I have played a few rounds with my older 54 and 58 degree wedges with the satin chrome finish and think I am a little more accurate with them on full and parital shots. It may be a me alignment issue or lie angle issue with the black wedges. Going to try to get them checked this week or next. Not a big difference but just a little off on a lot of shots, mainly with the 58 (which I use a lot more than the 54). Hoping it is just a simple lie angle adjustment needed.

Back