Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Going to cold today but getting out for another round with the cortex today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Budget golf's 25% off coupon works on this. Knocks the price down well below $400. With those shaft options it should be a very solid deal.

Budget golf's 25% off coupon works on this. Knocks the price down well below $400. With those shaft options it should be a very solid deal.

Yeah thats a solid deal.

c19f18483a293de8069c060a99e16267.jpg

Hanging with cortex today

Hit today in 10.5* stiff Atmos Blue, turned up to 12*. Quick thoughts:

- Look and sound are unbelievably good. Light years ahead of the Triton here. Reminds me more than a little of the Nike Vapor Pro - very solid, muted feel and a classic glossy black pear shape.
-The Atmos feels great in there. Nice solid feel without being boardy - it feels like you can really get after it.
-Compared with my Triton at 11* with a roughly 0.5" longer THCE PX shaft, I got a longer carry average by about 5yds and slightly tighter dispersion with the Triton. However, spin was just under 2k vs nearly 3k with the Cortex with similar launch (fairly high), so it makes sense. Ball speed was very similar, so I'm certain with some fitting effort I could get there or better.
-I did try a couple different positions with the sliding weight, and noted a bandwidth of about 400-500 rpm without touching loft. That's a pretty significant fitting tool.

I didn't spend a lot of time tinkering because it was Golf Galaxy and they're kind of dicks there, but I'm confident based on what I saw that I could easily get this bad boy dialed in to work with my swing. Probably just need to drop loft a bit, maybe even go to the red shaft instead of the blue. Not enough immediate improvement over my current setups to run out and buy it, but is definitely in the conversation once I'm looking to change (maybe next year sometime).

Sidenote: Man I have developed a nasty OTT move since playing last lol. Need some range time and maybe a lesson to sort that crap out!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

SkiBum nailed it including the GC sales team helpfulness.

SkiBum nailed it including the GC sales team helpfulness.
I'm not sure who poops in their Cheerios before I go in there, but they're not the happiest bunch, that's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I forgot to post pictures of the cortex comparison to my m3, to me there is more real estate on the m3 for misses and the m3 looks more pear shaped but again I love my m3 so the cortex will have to be great if it unseats my m3, sposey this is all your fault LMAO
9c03e4758c7ed3e001fb2dc807041d33.jpg
ac62825e84f8573f96727da43eb59d61.jpg
f62548cfc60d8f69db5f891eab3e009b.jpg
ebf898f223acebf51a116b648e07f4ae.jpg
ecaabc7c136eea51774cd90df7985e69.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
From the pictures the M3 looks a lot bigger.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

From the pictures the M3 looks a lot bigger.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I know right, that's why I wanted to take the pictures for you guys that can't see it in person, tbh it's about the same size as the new titleist drivers which I didn't care for, I actually hit my 917 better than the new titleist, but this cortex reminds me of the srixon 785 driver as far as the deep face and the crown, when I hit it down the pipe the 785 might have beat my m3 but not enough in the middle for me, im really not looking for control I don't miss alot of fairways with the m3 , but the hoe in me had to try the cortex, it's very pretty and sets up nicely behind the ball, maybe I will hit it tomorrow, been crappy weather here lately raining

I forgot to post pictures of the cortex comparison to my m3, to me there is more real estate on the m3 for misses and the m3 looks more pear shaped but again I love my m3 so the cortex will have to be great if it unseats my m3, sposey this is all your fault LMAO
9c03e4758c7ed3e001fb2dc807041d33.jpg
ac62825e84f8573f96727da43eb59d61.jpg
f62548cfc60d8f69db5f891eab3e009b.jpg
ebf898f223acebf51a116b648e07f4ae.jpg
ecaabc7c136eea51774cd90df7985e69.jpg

I am an enabler haha.

I have the 440 M3 and I agree the M3 looks bigger because it is longer heel to toe. I like the deep face though. The cortex does look smaller than 460 which I like but some will want a bigger look.

I had my 3 set with front weight in middle and back weight about half way down the left track, cortex is set back and 8 gram in the heel just for reference

I am an enabler haha.

I have the 440 M3 and I agree the M3 looks bigger because it is longer heel to toe. I like the deep face though. The cortex does look smaller than 460 which I like but some will want a bigger look.

I had my 3 set with front weight in middle and back weight about half way down the left track, cortex is set back and 8 gram in the heel just for reference

Just set mine up like yours but I do have the red 6s basically because I tend to hit the ball mid to low , it looks like I may get to play tomorrow no rain but it will be muddy I'm sure, at least not come around, 60
And yes you are an enabler I bet if we had drinks you would make me take a shot ha

Just set mine up like yours but I do have the red 6s basically because I tend to hit the ball mid to low , it looks like I may get to play tomorrow no rain but it will be muddy I'm sure, at least not come around, 60
And yes you are an enabler I bet if we had drinks you would make me take a shot ha

Fireball would be required

Got my custom Cortex in the mail earlier in the week. Had the chance to put it through a more thorough testing at Mistwood Golf Dome with Top Tracer Range technology today.

Wasn't swinging my best, but the Cortex still impressed. I averaged 267 yards with ball speeds over 150 mph. Launch averaged 14 degrees with a peak height of 33 yards and a landing angle of 41 degrees. This compared nicely with my gamer, and in some instances surpassed it. Really impressive.

Challenge accepted ha
fe9dab6c6b9533a1c5ac0010286c611a.jpg

I am playing at noon today, are you going to be able to get your cortex on the course today?

Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Wishing I could get out to a course but unfortunately the Skytrak will have to do for a few months...
I went to a range a few days ago and my slice was back in full force, so the goal of this mornings session was to hit nothing right of center. In an attempt to fix the slice I strengthened my grip and closed the face a little at address. The last 2 shots I tried to hit the snot out of it. I definitely don't need to hold back with the Atmos Blue Stiff, I just hope that I'm man enough to play it. I would love to test against an Atmos Red in either regular or Stiff if anyone has one that they want to sell.
a604f3de0201683de168d533997c83ac.jpg

182c2e1cf4573313c8659203a71abf5b.jpg

2253509ff239f7437069dfb95bec085a.jpg

I am playing at noon today, are you going to be able to get your cortex on the course today?

No it was too wet,SMH

Wishing I could get out to a course but unfortunately the Skytrak will have to do for a few months...
I went to a range a few days ago and my slice was back in full force, so the goal of this mornings session was to hit nothing right of center. In an attempt to fix the slice I strengthened my grip and closed the face a little at address. The last 2 shots I tried to hit the snot out of it. I definitely don't need to hold back with the Atmos Blue Stiff, I just hope that I'm man enough to play it. I would love to test against an Atmos Red in either regular or Stiff if anyone has one that they want to sell.
a604f3de0201683de168d533997c83ac.jpg

182c2e1cf4573313c8659203a71abf5b.jpg

2253509ff239f7437069dfb95bec085a.jpg
I may year you my red for the blue after I get to play with it

I went to Roger Dunn's during my lunch today just so I can personally look at the Cortex driver... I must say, it's one of the better looking drivers out there. I love the shape of it. Performance wise, it can keep up with the big boys. The head shape reminded me of my favorite driver of all time (Nike Vapor Pro) and I can see myself playing the Cortex. Maybe I should pull the trigger...

I went to Roger Dunn's during my lunch today just so I can personally look at the Cortex driver... I must say, it's one of the better looking drivers out there. I love the shape of it. Performance wise, it can keep up with the big boys. The head shape reminded me of my favorite driver of all time (Nike Vapor Pro) and I can see myself playing the Cortex. Maybe I should pull the trigger...

to quote larry the cable guy.......Git R Done

they nailed the looks, no doubt about it. Plenty of shelf appeal and if the performance holds up for all users, it should be a good seller.

The driver looks fantastic, would love to hit it against my C300 to see the differences.

they nailed the looks, no doubt about it. Plenty of shelf appeal and if the performance holds up for all users, it should be a good seller.

yeah I hope it gets the attention as all the top dog drivers out there.
But I'm also thinking, if I'm going to pay $500 for a new driver... can I justify spending that much on a Wilson Staff item? Maybe they should have charged $400 for it...

yeah I hope it gets the attention as all the top dog drivers out there.
But I'm also thinking, if I'm going to pay $500 for a new driver... can I justify spending that much on a Wilson Staff item? Maybe they should have charged $400 for it...

If they charged $400, then you would have said it was cheap. Wilson can't win that battle.

Back