Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

This is going to sound silly, but I started to work in how to hit a certain yardage, and not just step up and take a full swing and hope for the best.
That IS silly! Par 5s unless it's a forced layup you grab that G410 5wood you have and fire it as far as you can leaving you a flip wedge.

What is this nonsense of hitting 6iron to leave yourself a PW or 9i!? Haha glad to hear it's going well.

Went and got my lofts and lies checked today after seeing some earlier discussion in this thread about that.

I was fitted to 2 degrees flat.

All of my lies were 1.5-2.0 degrees flat.

All of my lofts were the stated lofts other than my 8i being .5 strong and my PW being .5 weak.

That makes sense since my 9i to 8i gap is 18 yards and my 9i to PW gap is only 10 yards.

I've said this before, but I'm pleased that I didn't bring my "A" swing to ECPC for the fitting and ended up with the standard Apex '19 instead of the Pro version (combo was not an option at the time). I am amazed at how well I've been able to dial in the distances with these across the board from 5i through AW. I get what I expect with a normal swing, I know what I am going to get if I choke down on the club, and I get what I want when I need to "step" on one. The distance consistency has been incredible. I haven't found any "flyers" or "hot spots" and I have had more short and "kick in" birdie putts than I can ever remember having with a set of irons.

I just got a text from one of my golf buddies. He was just fit for his new Apex iron set which he wanted after trying mine. Our other buddy and his best friend is Richie” We play together all the time. Anyway first buddy Dan just sent this! Lol
Greg... Calloway owes you a commission. Richie just sprung for $3,000 in Apex Irons, drivers and hybrids. And a new putter. We’re gonna look like “Team Apex” out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I kind of want to try the combo set... No basis in skill whatsoever, just a nagging ponder.

I need to go back and read thru this thread.

I've said this before, but I'm pleased that I didn't bring my "A" swing to ECPC for the fitting and ended up with the standard Apex '19 instead of the Pro version (combo was not an option at the time). I am amazed at how well I've been able to dial in the distances with these across the board from 5i through AW. I get what I expect with a normal swing, I know what I am going to get if I choke down on the club, and I get what I want when I need to "step" on one. The distance consistency has been incredible. I haven't found any "flyers" or "hot spots" and I have had more short and "kick in" birdie putts than I can ever remember having with a set of irons.

It's one of the things I have been amazed by as compared to the CF16. So much more consistent, distance-wise. Despite being distance-focused, these are precision in their own right.

Some range time today with just the AW and 7 iron. Finally starting to dial in my swing and figure a few things out. By the end, I was flushing 7 irons no problem. Nice to see what a good swing can produce with these. Has me really looking forward to more time with them.

Some range time today with just the AW and 7 iron. Finally starting to dial in my swing and figure a few things out. By the end, I was flushing 7 irons no problem. Nice to see what a good swing can produce with these. Has me really looking forward to more time with them.

Good to hear, Mike. Are you also finding these to be more consistent than the CF16's?

First round today with the 4 iron. Got 2 birdies with it so I went ahead and ordered the 3 iron.

Got every Apex iron working in my bag except the AW. Still don't love it on shots less than 100%.

Very interested in hitting these, need to go to Golf USA and put some swings on them before December. When I played with shanewu a couple weeks ago, I hit his 9 iron into a par 3 that was playing 150, I came up about 10-12 yards short. The thing is for me my normal 150 club would be a 7 iron.

Very interested in hitting these, need to go to Golf USA and put some swings on them before December. When I played with shanewu a couple weeks ago, I hit his 9 iron into a par 3 that was playing 150, I came up about 10-12 yards short. The thing is for me my normal 150 club would be a 7 iron.

That wasn't even a flushed shot so I bet you would have only been a few yards short if at all with a clean strike.

Good to hear, Mike. Are you also finding these to be more consistent than the CF16's?

Sorry, just seeing this. I can’t say yet, just haven’t had enough time with them and my swing has been crap up until now. Finally coming around now.

What I have seen so far is that they have been pretty consistent distance wise. When I flush a 7 iron (or any other), it’s going the same distance. Also, they do feel less clicky than the 16’s, which I like.

So two rounds in a row and tied my lowest rounds ever with the Apex Pros in the bag. Its been fun!!!

I do have a small side ponder though. I’m pondering an Apex Pro dot 7 iron. Prob wont pull the trigger, just a ponder atm.

i love these irons now, even though i know the lie angle is holding me back. i can’t imagine how much more i’ll fall for them when we get the setup corrected. had a good day, overpured a couple, and hit some super shots. forgiveness was excellent. i know we are all saying the same thing, but my standard apex19 are so good when i put even a halfway decent swing on them.

check out this spin:
cfb6338f87f320354407b9486cf7574f.jpg

that’s a downwind 8i to a par 3 lasered at 178. the ball spun back about 18”. a full club downwind, off a tee, high push draw, that spun back! crazy town!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I ended up having a pretty good day with these, too. Didnt hit a solid iron shot until 17, but went around again and hit some great ones. Distance was back to normal and they were relatively straight. The sound and feel of the Pros when you hit one well are very addicting.

Got to hit LOTS of irons this weekend.

Saturday played some mini 3100 yard course where every Par 3 except 1 and every approach shot left me an iron in my hand. It helped a lot with getting distances. So much so that now I can use my 6iron on 180 shots, which is a big boost for me. That used to be my 5i.

Sunday played 6800 and got to use quite a bit of 5i/6i

Not only is it the club but it's also my new golf swing with squaring the club face and promoting that in to out golfswing I've been working on.

A few of my misses were some rough hooks and immediately that right elbow is just completely off my body. It just sucks when the very next hole I aim right to play that draw and the shot goes dead straight to where I was aimed at. Also a few misses to the right of the green so I gotta get my aim corrected.

The distances are great, I've even added more distance these last 5 months since I got them. Time to cash in on more GIR.

Had such a good day with these yesterday. Hit a skanky AW into a par five that still ended up pin high, other than that the face was in full use on every other shot, love these irons, absolutely no issue with the transition from pro to standard in this set.

At league last night a guy I played with has the regular Apex with the Elevate 95 in stiff flex shafts. I got to hit them a few times, first was a PW from 113y, and put it past the pin about 7 yards. But it hit and stopped a few feet away as it was out of the rough. 2nd shot was an 8 iron to a 149 yard pin. It hit and stopped dead about 6 inches from ball mark.
The thing I noticed was the weight of the head, you could feel it down and thru the swing.
Definitely want to try these at the Grandaddy.

As a followup - since getting my 8,9,w in standard my scores have dropped significantly.

I think the standard W is a real winner, great forgiveness and stop and drop for me. the 8 and 9 are also very good, way better performers for me than the Pros. Really think you need to be a good ball striker before taking on the pros. I shoot in the 70s and the pros were too much for me.

These irons are silly haha. I have had more missed long into greens than ever. Just have to get used to them still. No flyers just not used to having irons with a little distance tech incorporated to a players ish iron haha. Loving them

Question for those who are using the Normal Apex or the Apex Combo set and stopping at the 5 iron. Are you finding the distance gap proper going with the Apex 19 4 hybrid? The reason I ask, the Apex 5 iron is 23.5 degrees @ 38"... and the Apex 19 4hy is just 23 degrees, but at 39.5". I'm afraid the gap would be too close.

On the flip side, the new Epic flash hybrid and the Big Berth hybrid go to 21 degrees at 40"... which seems would create too big of gap between them and the Apex 5 iron.

Leaves me unsure of what route to go.

As a followup - since getting my 8,9,w in standard my scores have dropped significantly.

I think the standard W is a real winner, great forgiveness and stop and drop for me. the 8 and 9 are also very good, way better performers for me than the Pros. Really think you need to be a good ball striker before taking on the pros. I shoot in the 70s and the pros were too much for me.

Sorry if you already wrote this (which seems sort of apparent) but you had a mixed set and got rid of the pros?
Did they seem that different to you? I have the combo set and don't notice a lot except the top line. Gaps are good and transition seems pretty seamless.
I am more of sweeper than a digger so that may make a difference - but love to hear your feedback

At league last night a guy I played with has the regular Apex with the Elevate 95 in stiff flex shafts. I got to hit them a few times, first was a PW from 113y, and put it past the pin about 7 yards. But it hit and stopped a few feet away as it was out of the rough. 2nd shot was an 8 iron to a 149 yard pin. It hit and stopped dead about 6 inches from ball mark.
The thing I noticed was the weight of the head, you could feel it down and thru the swing.
Definitely want to try these at the Grandaddy.

The Elevate 95/Apex combo is great. The VSS absolutely works, and gives as good a feel as a lot of graphite shafts I’ve tried. I’ve had the same experience with my set - through the bag I can expect the ball to stop a predictable distance from the pitch mark. Between the profile/shaping, the consistent spin and distance I’m seeing, and the length of these I couldn't be happier. Just an all around great iron, and I haven’t been this happy with my irons in a long time.

Question for those who are using the Normal Apex or the Apex Combo set and stopping at the 5 iron. Are you finding the distance gap proper going with the Apex 19 4 hybrid? The reason I ask, the Apex 5 iron is 23.5 degrees @ 38"... and the Apex 19 4hy is just 23 degrees, but at 39.5". I'm afraid the gap would be too close.

On the flip side, the new Epic flash hybrid and the Big Berth hybrid go to 21 degrees at 40"... which seems would create too big of gap between them and the Apex 5 iron.

Leaves me unsure of what route to go.

It was for me. I ordered both the Apex 19 5i and Apex 19 4h -.5" and 2FL. The 5i is a 205-210 club for me and the 4h was my 220 club. (Epic 3h is a 240 club for me FWIW.) I started bagging a 4i though because I have a bit more control with it than I did with the Apex hybrid.

Back