Callaway ERC Soft Golf Ball

I played a round with the ERC Soft this morning and I have a collection of thoughts. From my previous posts in this thread you'll already know (if you've been reading) that this ball is basically everything I try to avoid in a golf ball. Its soft, I prefer clicky. Its low spin, I need more spin. It has lines on it, I prefer naked. Regardless, I pegged it on the first tee and off I went.

It feels soft thoughout the bag from the driver down to the putter. Compared to a Z-Star XV and a MTB-x I could feel/hear a large difference in tone on a 15 ft putt. I'm sure it's something I could get used to but I've always liked a clickier ball off the putter. The feel off the irons is nice and plush. Driver always feels mashed.
Overall I thought my ball flight was lower than normal - like the ball launched ok but just refused to climb. I'm not sure if it was 'low' or just really really flat & even my playing partner commented that my shots just looked liked they lacked penetration. I struggled with wedges into greens a little. Where I would normally expect a hop-n-stop I was seeing a bounce and release.
I also decided to give the Triple Track tech a good run on the greens. I've got to say I have MAD respect for anyone who can actually line these things up the way they want to. It was taking me 3 to 4 adjustments to get the track sitting just right. Once set I'm pretty confident in saying that it helps start the ball on the intended line especially for shorter putts, but by how much exactly is hard to measure.

Overall my thoughts are pretty mixed. On the one hand I feel like I could play this ball and adjust to all it's quirks, but on the other hand I just like other balls better from a feel and flight perspective. I think I want to spend a little more time with Triple Track, especially in a Tournament setting where my short putting gets questionable under pressure. I shot a decent score today and the ball was clearly a part of that.
Good thoughts dude. Thanks for sharing. I'm kind of in a similar spot with that triple track. Seems like a great idea on paper. But, it seems to take a bit to get used to.

I will say this. I'm not typically too anal on my alignment. I'll usually just align the spine graphics towards the hole and use that as a means to guage how far I need to aim away from that based on the break I see.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

On the one hand I feel like I could play this ball and adjust to all it's quirks

this made me chuckle. are they quirks with the ball, or quirks with the baller ;)

i think the ball is great. i am definitely seeing greenside performance that leaves me begging. but the other performance and requisite scores can’t be denied. it’s my gamer for now but i do want to spend some time with chromesoft, though i wish it had triple track.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Overall I thought my ball flight was lower than normal - like the ball launched ok but just refused to climb. I'm not sure if it was 'low' or just really really flat & even my playing partner commented that my shots just looked liked they lacked penetration.

Boy does that surprise me! I've been really giving this ball a run, only subbing the CS on par 3's with tucked pins trusting I'll get a little more spin. My earliest concern with the ball, especially playing here in North Texas where it can get windy, was playing the ball into the wind due to its high launch and high flight! Although I can get the same distance into the wind with a CS, I've figured what I'm losing into the wind with the driver is only the distance gain I would have experienced under other conditions. I really like the high ball flight with the irons and don't seem to lose as much distance proportionately as I do with the driver under those conditions - it just seems to carry and carry. I've always been a high ball hitter, learning the game and playing for way too many years in the mid-Atlantic and upper-Midwest as opposed to a more suited ball flight for Texas conditions (low runners).

My earliest concern with the ball, especially playing here in North Texas where it can get windy, was playing the ball into the wind due to its high launch and high flight!

me too. i’m hitting a window i’m not used to seeing. i like it, just need to trust it and also figure out my distances.

me too. i’m hitting a window i’m not used to seeing. i like it, just need to trust it and also figure out my distances.

@McLovin - No more CSX TT?

I played (and lost) a bunch of these, CS Truvis, CSX and CSXTT yesterday. A big take away was that my contact isn’t good enough to worry about spinning the ball on approach shots (only did it 1x out of 98 strokes, and that was with a CSX), so the ERC may be a better fit for my actual game than the spinnier balls.

I felt like I lag putted best with the ERC.

TT ... it takes me several attempts to line it up right and sometimes I give up and understand that I need to aim a little left or right of the TT lines. The one time I took the 3 or 4 passes at getting the TT lines correct I did make the 6’ putt, so there is that.

Last edited:
I alternated between the CS and the ERC Soft for 18 holes this weekend. I think I’m with the folks that are torn on Triple Track. When I’m confident about the line I’ve put it on, I think it does provide a benefit. But I am not great at actually lining it up, or at least I feel like I’m not.In terms of performance, I don’t really find it lacking anywhere on the course. I had a few tricky chips where I was able to get the ball right where I wanted to, brought it back a few feet on an 8i shot into a par 3, and had a ball pretty much stop in its pitch mark on a partial wedge shot. Driver/woods the ball was pretty much where I’d expect it on good strikes. That part of my game was so-so, so I don’t want to really draw any conclusions.

@McLovin - No more CSX TT?

i’ll try it again soon, but for right now i’m on a run in the 70s, whereas i did not break 80 with csxtt. so i’m not going to switch until there’s a reason to switch!

I have played this ball 2 days in a row. I like it off the tee, plenty long and doesn't seem to have the side spin of other balls. Plenty of stopping power on full swing approach shots, balls was stopping within foot of the mark.
The issue still for me is to much roll out on chips that are low.
Durability is fine on this ball.

I have been playing well with this ball. I am to the point now that I don’t like playing without a Triple Track ball. TT and I are best friends. I use it on the tee and on the putt. I even use it somewhat on approach by just giving me something to focus on.

I am not positive which is better for me: CSXTT or ERC, but my gut has me reaching for to ERC on the #1 tee. It could simply be because I like the yellow or it might be that it has less spin which I feel helps. I am not sure. Right now in my bag, I only have yellow ERC and obviously white CSXTT in the bag. I just need to keep trying to figure out which I prefer. Both are great for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have played this ball 2 days in a row. I like it off the tee, plenty long and doesn't seem to have the side spin of other balls. Plenty of stopping power on full swing approach shots, balls was stopping within foot of the mark. The issue still for me is to much roll out on chips that are low. Durability is fine on this ball.
That low, checking chip shot is the only one that I find the ball can’t pull off. It’s not one I play all that often, or pull off well when I do, so it doesn’t bother me. But it’s easily the biggest difference between the ERC and Chrome Soft/X. I’ve shot some low scores playing the ERC, so I’m going to keep that going for a while.

That low, checking chip shot is the only one that I find the ball can’t pull off. It’s not one I play all that often, or pull off well when I do, so it doesn’t bother me. But it’s easily the biggest difference between the ERC and Chrome Soft/X. I’ve shot some low scores playing the ERC, so I’m going to keep that going for a while.

I don't use it often, but when I need to I want to know the ball will check up. The CSX TT seems to have a bit more check than the ERC.

Oh, I've been heavily relying on that low pitch shot. My new favorite shot in the bag is to take my 52 in really low landing just on the green and watching it put the brakes on and roll out like a putt.

Had that situation today on my 27th and final hole. The ERC just did not have the stopping power to pull it off. Hit a beautiful dive with it. Hit my pitch perfect. Landed exactly where I wanted it to expecting it to check up and trickle up to the back pin. It tried to check, it wasn't like hitting an old top Flite or anything. Just not enough for me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I played a round with the ERC Soft this morning and I have a collection of thoughts. From my previous posts in this thread you'll already know (if you've been reading) that this ball is basically everything I try to avoid in a golf ball. Its soft, I prefer clicky. Its low spin, I need more spin. It has lines on it, I prefer naked. Regardless, I pegged it on the first tee and off I went.

It feels soft thoughout the bag from the driver down to the putter. Compared to a Z-Star XV and a MTB-x I could feel/hear a large difference in tone on a 15 ft putt. I'm sure it's something I could get used to but I've always liked a clickier ball off the putter. The feel off the irons is nice and plush. Driver always feels mashed.
Overall I thought my ball flight was lower than normal - like the ball launched ok but just refused to climb. I'm not sure if it was 'low' or just really really flat & even my playing partner commented that my shots just looked liked they lacked penetration. I struggled with wedges into greens a little. Where I would normally expect a hop-n-stop I was seeing a bounce and release.
I also decided to give the Triple Track tech a good run on the greens. I've got to say I have MAD respect for anyone who can actually line these things up the way they want to. It was taking me 3 to 4 adjustments to get the track sitting just right. Once set I'm pretty confident in saying that it helps start the ball on the intended line especially for shorter putts, but by how much exactly is hard to measure.

Overall my thoughts are pretty mixed. On the one hand I feel like I could play this ball and adjust to all it's quirks, but on the other hand I just like other balls better from a feel and flight perspective. I think I want to spend a little more time with Triple Track, especially in a Tournament setting where my short putting gets questionable under pressure. I shot a decent score today and the ball was clearly a part of that.

Based on your feedback and the other balls mentioned I would make sure to try the CSX with Triple Track for sure the next time you want to give TT a go.

Bought a dozen ERC and gonna stick with yellow for now. I think I like it...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Based on your feedback and the other balls mentioned I would make sure to try the CSX with Triple Track for sure the next time you want to give TT a go.
Yessir! CSX TT is my go-to ball, I just need to replenish the stash. Let's just say I seed product at a rapid rate lately.

I've got to say I have MAD respect for anyone who can actually line these things up the way they want to. It was taking me 3 to 4 adjustments to get the track sitting just right. Once set I'm pretty confident in saying that it helps start the ball on the intended line especially for shorter putts, but by how much exactly is hard to measure.

When I was using these for practice I found the easiest way to get the alignment was to get your intended line and do the initial line up, then walk about 10' behind the ball and recheck. The three lines make it easy to see your (mis)alignment and typically you'll find it tends toward one side (my tendency was to aim the lines too far left initially). After a while you'll start to compensate at initial lineup and be able to get it down to set-check-tweak-done. The beauty with the three lines is you don't really need to have the center line dead nuts on your intended line. You can be off a smidge and still putt effectively with the alignment.

When I was using these for practice I found the easiest way to get the alignment was to get your intended line and do the initial line up, then walk about 10' behind the ball and recheck. The three lines make it easy to see your (mis)alignment and typically you'll find it tends toward one side (my tendency was to aim the lines too far left initially). After a while you'll start to compensate at initial lineup and be able to get it down to set-check-tweak-done. The beauty with the three lines is you don't really need to have the center line dead nuts on your intended line. You can be off a smidge and still putt effectively with the alignment.

Ok. I'll give that a try. I did that once or twice and you're right - it's really easy to see where the TT is aligned from standing behind the ball. I feel like it gives a boost of confidence once you actually have it lined up correctly.

I love the ERC. The iron distance is impressive but honestly I’m not sure i can give up this much spin. I played a course today with very quick greens and it definitely exposed the low spin aspect.

Today, I had a 75 yard pitch into a green, nipped my 60* wedge perfectly, ball landed a few feet from the pin (found the pitch mark) and ended up about 15 yards past the pin in the rough beyond the green. I think i need to test some CS and go from there.

I love the ERC. The iron distance is impressive but honestly I’m not sure i can give up this much spin. I played a course today with very quick greens and it definitely exposed the low spin aspect.

Today, I had a 75 yard pitch into a green, nipped my 60* wedge perfectly, ball landed a few feet from the pin (found the pitch mark) and ended up about 15 yards past the pin in the rough beyond the green. I think i need to test some CS and go from there.

that’s crazy zbeeks. i haven’t seen anything like that.

that’s crazy zbeeks. i haven’t seen anything like that.

Yea it could’ve* been an anomaly but i watched it land and fully expected it to be within a few feet when it disappeared behind the green. It was the only swing since I put the erc in play that I’ve legit been upset with the ball.

Gonna mix it up though and do some more testing. Lots of time to figure out which i prefer before we head to California

Played the ERC Soft again today (32 holes on 1 ball now) since this little orb refuses to seed itself in the wild.
One aspect that blew me away today was how useable this ball is around the green. Plenty of action out of fairway, rough, and bunker lies and very predictable from shot to shot. On 2 different par 5s today I was in a greenside bunker in 2, one 25 yards out and one 35 yards out. Both times I hit a saucy shot inside 4 ft to convert the birdies.
Another stand out aspect is how straight this ball flies off the tee. It's always tough to determine if straightness is because the ball is determining flight or because I just didn't suck for once...I'll go with ball. I did hit one wild shot to an adjacent fairway but ended up making birdie anyway so we'll let it slide.

I didn't use triple track today because I was putting like Faxon had possessed me and I didn't want to rock the boat.

Only real negative aspects I'm seeing are wedges that seem to fly an inordinate distance (long), and perhaps my tee balls are a tad shorter - but they are in play.

Played the ERC Soft again today (32 holes on 1 ball now) since this little orb refuses to seed itself in the wild.
One aspect that blew me away today was how useable this ball is around the green. Plenty of action out of fairway, rough, and bunker lies and very predictable from shot to shot. On 2 different par 5s today I was in a greenside bunker in 2, one 25 yards out and one 35 yards out. Both times I hit a saucy shot inside 4 ft to convert the birdies.
Another stand out aspect is how straight this ball flies off the tee. It's always tough to determine if straightness is because the ball is determining flight or because I just didn't suck for once...I'll go with ball. I did hit one wild shot to an adjacent fairway but ended up making birdie anyway so we'll let it slide.

I didn't use triple track today because I was putting like Faxon had possessed me and I didn't want to rock the boat.

Only real negative aspects I'm seeing are wedges that seem to fly an inordinate distance (long), and perhaps my tee balls are a tad shorter - but they are in play.

I agree with a lot of this, these into the greens are the most surprising aspect for me again and again. I’ve made them dance a few times into the greens.

I’ve enjoyed off the tee as well, and I’ve not seen the distance loss some others have which surprised me.

i’m seeing most everything you’re saying here. loss of distance off the tee made up for with increased distance off irons.

greenside spin isn’t crazy high, but with the right shot it definitely works. i hit one bunker shot to a tucked pin that stopped within a couple feet. fine with me.

incredible stopping distance on full shots, almost always within mere inches of the pitch mark.

triple track is life for me. i cannot live without it.

McLovin;n8638219 said:
i’m seeing most everything you’re saying here. loss of distance off the tee made up for with increased distance off irons.

greenside spin isn’t crazy high, but with the right shot it definitely works. i hit one bunker shot to a tucked pin that stopped within a couple feet. fine with me.

incredible stopping distance on full shots, almost always within mere inches of the pitch mark.

triple track is life for me. i cannot live without it.

I have been going back and forth between this ball and CSXTT. I have a ton of balls that I used to really like but I am no longer comfortable putting without Triple Track.

Back