2019 Pro V1 vs Pro V1x

Dont have experience with the prov1 or tp5. Prov1x vs tp5x I would take tp5x everyday.

Dont have experience with the prov1 or tp5. Prov1x vs tp5x I would take tp5x everyday.

Why would you take the TM ball? Don’t leave us hanging!

Spin profile. Prov1x spins a lot. Even with moving to lower spin irons I was seeing a lot of backspin on fairway shots. Out of the rough the extremes between low spin and normal spin was difficult to adjust to.

Around the green I saw more spin as well so I could be more aggressive with the prov1x but in the wind it could get eaten up.

Really it's a debate between how much spin you want. If you are naturally low spin player I would look at the prov1x, high spin players might want to look at the tp5x.

I would say both launch pretty high.

I can get either these or the tp5/tp5x with a 4 for 3 deal. Can anyone elaborate on the prov1 vs tp5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I tested both and went with the TP5.

ProV1:
- still more durable

TP5:
- played better in the wind; dead straight
- felt softer - I love the feeling with my putter and around the green

Will be testing these balls tomorrow finally. Talked to a guy today and said the greens are in great shape so looking forward to seeing how there react on the greens compared to the previous models.

Looking forward to reading some additional reviews. It’s time to order golf balls for the year.

I played 18 today and played nine holes with each ball. (the same nine holes where played to make it a little easier to compare)
Played the ProV1 on the front 9 and honestly I was ready to stop playing it on the 4th hole. I just didn't like the lower ball flight on driver or irons. The ball felt fine off the putter and durability is good. I finished the 9 holes with it and put it away.

Next nine was the 1X and immediately like the ball flight, higher but not ballooning high. The 1X was also longer by 10 yards at least for me.
This years 1X doesn't have the loud clicky sound of the previous version. Felt great off the putter. Durability is not an issue with this version either.

I will be ordering the ProV1X in yellow.

Played the yellow v1s, I ordered the 4 for 3 in jan/feb, this weekend. Defintely, better in the wind and longer than previous model for me with all clubs. Had several long drives of 270-280 which is super long for me. 282 on 9th. Usually, I hit one or two per round of 260-265. Stops well and even spins back with short irons. A little more than wanted.

I have only played white V1x of the new models.

my personalization is: 2019 Club Champ. If you find one in the woods, please enjoy yourself on me.

I’ve been going back & forth between the 2 trying to decide on a ball.
The ProV1 certainly has the flight I prefer, flatter and more boring but I don’t quite care for the feel off of wedges & putter.
The X is significantly higher throughout the bag, which is fine but I wish it were a touch lower at the top of the bag. Much better feel in the scoring clubs though.
I guess I just answered my own question.

Stuggling to find any comparisons between the different colours of the new models? Just interested if they do actually perform the same? Seen a few reviews where people think the Yellows don't spin as much as the White but not seen any that have any data evidence to back it up.

I played 18 today and played nine holes with each ball. (the same nine holes where played to make it a little easier to compare)
Played the ProV1 on the front 9 and honestly I was ready to stop playing it on the 4th hole. I just didn't like the lower ball flight on driver or irons. The ball felt fine off the putter and durability is good. I finished the 9 holes with it and put it away.

Next nine was the 1X and immediately like the ball flight, higher but not ballooning high. The 1X was also longer by 10 yards at least for me.
This years 1X doesn't have the loud clicky sound of the previous version. Felt great off the putter. Durability is not an issue with this version either.

I will be ordering the ProV1X in yellow.

Weird how you didn't like the ProV1 but you originally played the Chrome Soft & not the Chrome Soft X. Are you a natural low ball hitter?

Weird how you didn't like the ProV1 but you originally played the Chrome Soft & not the Chrome Soft X. Are you a natural low ball hitter?

No I get plenty of height on all of my shots. I see what you are saying but kinda hard to describe. Not sure why but looking at the flight of the ProV1X it works for me. As far as the CSX, it always felt to harsh and just didn't work. It is kinda weird how one X can work and the other doesn't. I still play the regular CS, love the Truvis.
I disliked the V1 enough that I gave the sleeve away to a guy last night at league.

No I get plenty of height on all of my shots. I see what you are saying but kinda hard to describe. Not sure why but looking at the flight of the ProV1X it works for me. As far as the CSX, it always felt to harsh and just didn't work. It is kinda weird how one X can work and the other doesn't. I still play the regular CS, love the Truvis.
I disliked the V1 enough that I gave the sleeve away to a guy last night at league.
That's how I feel about the x. I still have 3 sleeves in my trunk.

4cb8bee3e5507253fe285621378e635e.jpg

Christmas came early!

So was able to play today and made it 8 1/2 holes before I dunked it in the pond. Up to that point the ball performed well. Didn't have an cut marks from my wedges. So durability seems pretty good so far. The one area I think the V1X stands out is that is seems to handle head winds better than my other gamer ball. (Chrome Soft)
I ordered this ball in yellow and had no problems finding it in the dormant Zoysia fairways or the greened up fescue rough. It stands out good and is easy to track in the air also.
Ball has good stopping power off of the irons, never saw any shots more than 4 feet from the ball mark on iron shots today. Chips around the green where easy enough to play some runners or get a ball to check up quick.
Petty happy with performance so far, and looking forward to some warmer temps to see how it performs.

Stuggling to find any comparisons between the different colours of the new models? Just interested if they do actually perform the same? Seen a few reviews where people think the Yellows don't spin as much as the White but not seen any that have any data evidence to back it up.

Maybe imagined, but I thought I could tell a difference with the avx between white and yellow, but I can’t with the two new balls.

Very different golf balls though. Pro V1 is firmer than Chrome Soft and has a very different mantle layer.

I played the ProV1X in 15-18 mph winds today, this is where this ball separates itself from others. It cuts thru the wind well IMO. I have been playing the yellow, and the visibility is really good whether in the fairway or rough.
The one knock I have so far, is I noticed a pretty good scuff today after I hit a wedge shot. It was a low spinner that when it hit it hopped and stopped. But when I marked it I noticed a scuff. So I will watch the durability a bit more and see if it continues to happen.

I played the ProV1X in 15-18 mph winds today, this is where this ball separates itself from others. It cuts thru the wind well IMO. I have been playing the yellow, and the visibility is really good whether in the fairway or rough.

AVX is the most wind-ignoring ball I've ever seen. By comparison, the 2013/2015/2017 versions of Pro V1x would tend to upshoot a good bit on mid-iron shots into a 15mph wind.

So far, after about 10 rounds, I'd say the 2019 Pro V1x is less prone to that than the previous versions. Still not quite like AVX (which is nigh immune to anything other than a very strong wind) but better than previous Pro V1x models.

For instance yesterday on my last hole I had a full 9-iron approach shot with the wind about 10-12mph from right to left and maybe helping just a touch. I hit it pretty high and the Pro V1x started out at the flag but kept drifting, drifting, drifting. By the time it landed, it was a good six yards left of the hole. I've played enough rounds with AVX in the past to know that ball would have hardly moved at all on that particular shot.

P.S. And yes, I know a smarter player than myself would have aimed farther right to allow for the breeze. That smarter player would have probably made birdie instead of 2-putting from 20 feet. I hate that guy.

On top of the buy 3 get 1 loyalty bonus, one of my local courses was offering the ability to carry the charge for the balls throughout the league season and use any merchandise credit won to pay for them.

That, and the fact that I already had $100 in merch credit expiring in June, was enough to entice me to place an order.

It'll be at least a couple of weeks until I'm able to get them on the course. But I've got a decent stock of Chromesoft X, Srixon XV, and the new Pro V1's on the way to do some head to head battling this summer.

Back